Profile for A. E. Justice-Mills > Reviews

Content by A. E. Justice-...

A. E. Justice-Mills "e-fish trader" (UK)

Amazing Android Apps For Dummies
Amazing Android Apps For Dummies
by Daniel A. Begun
Price: 14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Old and had to see what it's for ..., 16 Mar 2014
A book about apps? I bought this (by mistake I realise) to help me develop apps ... at best it is a snapshot of the app market at a point in time, but really that's like looking at fossils. Not useful now.

The Girl With All The Gifts
The Girl With All The Gifts
by M. R. Carey
Price: 12.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent exploration of Zombie futures, 16 Mar 2014
I was recommended this by another author (so that's a good recommendation) and I'm not disappointed. At first it takes a bit of working out ... why are the children treated this way? - then it quickly begins to make all sorts of horrible sense.
Characters that grab you with their insights and obsessions; a plot which - though ultimately predictable - still makes room for intrigue; parallels with "normal" and unusual zombie lore (but enough new ideas to keep you guessing) ...
At the end, I knew there *was* a future for zombies ... and the future felt right.
Read this and hope.

PreSonus AudioBox Studio Complete Hardware/Software Recording Kit
PreSonus AudioBox Studio Complete Hardware/Software Recording Kit
Price: 149.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to install - check your USB port is USB 2, 11 Dec 2013
The version I bought - the Audiobox USB as part of Studio bundle - is the 48KHz one. As suggested here I downloaded the latest PreSonus drivers etc. Good job I did as the ones on the CD were very old.

I had a very unhappy time once installed & connected though: all my USB disk drives & peripherals kept offlining (instant panic). Eventually, after lots of un-installing, re-installing etc etc I actually read the driver release notes (available one the PreSonus site as a tiny link), which said there were some problems with using USB 3 ports ... changed to a USB 2 port and everything works fine.

I'm used to ASIO4ALL v2 ... this is a dream to use, low latency etc. However, I do wish they had included a guide to setting up using the interface in FL Studio (I'm not going to spend time learning the supplied Studio 1 software).

The CD software Studio 1 release had no serial number - had to register with PreSonus, download the current demo version and use that serial with the supplied version. Not cool.

Anyway, as said elsewhere, nice box, good feel to it and the supplied cables etc were fine.. Wish I'd realised the M7 was a mono mic (Doh!) sounds good though. Probably not going to use the headphones - I like my Sennheiser HD 25 SP II Closed Headphone too much. Nice and light, though very transparent.

Joby GorillaPod Hybrid Tripod for Compact System Cameras with Integrated Ballhead
Offered by Marks Best
Price: 23.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorillapod - for small & quite large cameras too, 18 Dec 2012
This gorillapod is great for small cameras and mid-sized alike. My Lumix GH2 with longish lens sits fine on it - stable & heavy enough to sit firmly in all but the windiest conditions. Nice touch, the level (though i've not had to use it yet). I like the removable plate too - makes detaching & packing away much less fiddly. Just wish they sold this size as a replacement - I can see it going missing.

SanDisk SDSDQ-016G-FFP 16 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card - Frustration-Free Packaging (Label May Change)
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Micro-SD that performs fine, 18 Dec 2012
Nearly the cheapest little Micro-SD - works fine to record digital audio direct off the microphone, using a Sony PCM-M10 handheld digital recorder. Came as described and worked immediately - no need to re-format.

Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye F3.5 Manual Focus Lens for Micro 4/3 - Black
Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye F3.5 Manual Focus Lens for Micro 4/3 - Black
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras
Price: 259.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good glass, stiff mechanism, 8 Jun 2012
The lense is mounted on my GH2 and fits fine on micro 4/3. Results are impressive - takes some getting used to as the angle of view is impressively wide. Have to remember to keep feet, camera strap, focus fingers out the frame!
At first the GH2 objected to the lens - no auto-focus or auto-aperture, so GH2 said "release shutter without lens y/n?". One menu setting later, working fine.
Obviously can't fit a filter (glass bulges as mentioned) so care with focus & aperture setting to avoid fingerprints on the front.
One niggle - the focus ring is very stiff (not sticky, just hard to turn). Not sure if that's meant to be like that (I will contact the seller, but I think they are German, not sure they would understand). Not a real pain, since don't often need to focus, just a slight worry in case it gets even stiffer.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2013 2:26 PM BST

Panasonic Lumix G 20mm/F1.7 Pancake Lens
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm/F1.7 Pancake Lens

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but noisy, 11 Aug 2011
Received this lens for my GH2, which came with the 14-140mm. Perhaps I'm spoilt by that lens, but this one seems noisy compared to it.
The quality of the images is great though, and the size means the GH2 looks like an unobtrusive compact.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but *not* bayonet fixing, 30 July 2011
Bought this to add to the Lumig 20mm pancake. Works fine, but it's *not* bayonet, it's screw thread. Currently it's attached to the front of a polarising filter, so it sort of works - tricky to take off when using the focus-assist lamp or flash.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2011 9:51 AM BST

Chobits: Volume 1 - Persocom [DVD]
Chobits: Volume 1 - Persocom [DVD]
Dvd ~ Morio Asaka

4.0 out of 5 stars Start of a Chobits fan ..., 6 Feb 2007
Well, it certainly does grip from the very beginning.

Lovely idea, good drawing, good characters - lots of humour, even though lots of it is the "I can't believe it's a Persocom (it feels like a girl to me)" sort.

Speaks volumes about adolescent life in Japan ... but also about the adoption of tecnology into our daily (love) lives.

Basically I'm going to buy the next disc (and the next I expect) cos it's just loads of fun to watch.