Profile for magpiefairy > Reviews

magpiefairy

Vax W90-RU-P Rapide Ultra 2 Pre-Treatment Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax W90-RU-P Rapide Ultra 2 Pre-Treatment Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer

4.0 out of 5 stars Vax Rapide Ultra 2, 8 Oct 2010
When I received the Vax Rapide Ultra 2 I was amazed at the size of the box, upon opening it became clear that the machine was quite a big machine, taking up most of the box! However once out although it was quite heavy it did look powerful. The instruction leaflet was short, with pictures rather than written instructions. A few more words would have been helpful! I had to look at the pictures showing elements of the machine in use to work out where everything went as the "set-up" pictures only showed how to attach the handle and the Wand.
The machine is then ready to go! Measure the cleaning solution and add the required amount of water. It would have helped to have a small "measure" included, my jugs did not have the required scale, eg you need 40ml of solution and my jugs measure in 50ml intervals. Additionally because of shape of tank for the solution it will not stand on its own, so fill it over a sink!
Cleaning the carpets was incredibly easy! Push forward; activating the solution switch, I released the switch just before I came to the end of the push forward stroke, and pull back to suck up. This method of cleaning is very easy, size of machine makes it hard to get into small/tight spaces, but for this I used the hose and hand held nozzle. This works on the same principle after you have attached the hose (very easy to do once you have found the relevant picture), Squeeze trigger on forward movement - a word of warning: the liquid is sprayed in a sideways pattern from just behind the head of the nozzle, for using on the stairs I angled the nozzle at about 45º to get the most effective coverage on each step - pull the nozzle back and you can see the water being sucked up, in fact I went back over areas where I had used a lot of solution on the main carpets and sucked extra liquid up using the hand held nozzle.
The carpets were lovely and clean, and the pile rejuvenated, even my husband noticed! Also they were almost dry straight away. Two hours after cleaning I had everything back in place.
The pre-treatment wand seemed to me to bit over the top, but I haven't got any really dirty bits, if I get stains on my carpets I clean them as they happen, and the main machine coped brilliantly with the main traffic areas without the need for pre-treatment. If you inherit a very dirty carpet of one with large areas of staining then this attachment would come into its own.
Removing the dirty water chamber is very simple, a bit fiddly to get it totally rinsed clean. Removing and replacing the tank for the cleaning solution is again very simple to do, rinsing clean is very easy.
Cable length is good, but winding cable onto machine is time consuming because there is a lot to get into a small space. The hose could have been two steps longer! It would then have reached all the way to the top of my staircase, but then I guess it would have been harder to store.