Profile for Terry Tyler, author > Reviews

Content by Terry Tyler, a...

Terry Tyler, author

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The New Maid
The New Maid
Price: 1.22

4.0 out of 5 stars Went so well with my raspberry sorbet..., 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: The New Maid (Kindle Edition)
....it did, I just spent a very pleasant 20 minutes reading this, having downloaded it free at the weekend. Intelligent, unusual, quietly amusing. Being able to conjure up atmosphere and perfect characterisation in a story of this length is no mean talent. The character of Melissa was particularly colourful, I thought. Nice.

Merry Chick Lit Celebrate the Season with Six Sassy Shorts
Merry Chick Lit Celebrate the Season with Six Sassy Shorts
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this now!, 12 Dec 2013
For this price, and every penny going to a worthy charity, how can you not??!!

Fans of chick lit will love these stories. My stand-out favorite was the first one, 'Santa's gift', which I thought was an absolute belter - smart, smart writing. I also liked the second one, 'The Christmas Lights', which I found amusing and unusual. Not read the last one yet, but I was raring to review after the first!

Doppelganger (Jack Lockwood mysteries Book 2)
Doppelganger (Jack Lockwood mysteries Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and unpredictable, 10 Dec 2013
The title of this review says it all, really....

I bought this because I am interested in anything with the words 'serial killer' in the title or blurb!

I don't read many books of the crime thriller fiction genre as I am not very interested in all the 'Yes, but it could have meant...' stuff when it comes to solving the crime, so I have little with which to measure this book - I'm a crime fiction reading novice! However, I DO love watching this sort of thing on television, and I must say I was very pleased to find that, in this novel, none of the results that arose throughout the second half were predictable, none at all. I love it when I can't guess 'whodunnit', or, indeed, even the outcome of the romantic interest! This book had several layers to it, several mysteries, which made it more interesting.

The story flowed well, was intelligently and professionally written and had no boring bits or the superfluous detail found in some 'indie' books; everything was relevant to the plot, and the characterisation was good, too. Who will it appeal to? I'd say those of you who like to watch the sort of traditional crime detective type stuff on British television - Morse, Lewis, Blue Murder, that sort of thing. Jack Lockwood is not the macho, rugged hero I'd expected, either; he's actually quite sensitive and 'new man' for a crime solving writer hero character, so perhaps lovers of Jonathan Creek will like it, too!

Foursome
Foursome
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Terrific start, disappointing second half, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: Foursome (Kindle Edition)
When I started reading this book I was loving it, and thought, oh yes, this will definitely be one of those up-all-night, five star books, but then it just... wasn't.

I thought Rebecca was so real, and not because she was overweight, but partly because she admitted to feeling ill towards people, particularly her co-worker, Lorna - who was a terrific character. There were so many opportunities here, to make this book really darkly, horribly amusing, with the dreadful Lorna encroaching into every corner of Rebecca's life, but then she just fell flat. By half way through I was no longer reading the book I'd enjoyed so much at the beginning. It seemed that the first third of the book was spent building up all the dilemmas and difficulties, then the second two thirds spent calming them all down again and making everything all 'nice', with very little conflict. Lorna had huge potential as anti-heroine, but it wasn't explored. There was too much detail about the ins and outs of the agency, too; I wanted to know about the relationships between the books' main characters and found myself skip reading.

Loved the writing style, just disappointed in that Ms Fallon didn't finish what she'd started. Will try another by her, though.

The Christmas Spirit
The Christmas Spirit
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Get your lattes and your cakes ready first...., 30 Nov 2013
...... because this cosy little Christmas story will make you wish you had them within easy reach if you haven't!

As in The Dating Game, Susan Buchanan's `foodie' orientation is very apparent in her Christmas novella set in a bakery/cafe, so it will appeal to anyone who likes to salivate over descriptions of carrot cake, cupcakes, stuff with bits of marshmallow and chocolate in, and all the rest. It's very much a fantasy tale, in the spirit of the season; what a shame there is nowhere like the Sugar and Spice Café in real life - where your average young woman eats cakes every day ('go on, I'll have one to take home, too!') without concern for her weight!

If you like a pleasant, easy read with lots of nice things happening to good people, and those who've had a bit of a rum deal suddenly getting some good luck, then this is the story for you. The main characters are Stanley the endearing pensioner, a despotic boss called Meredith and her put-upon assistant, Sophie; Jacob the terminally unemployed, and Rebecca - dumped by her boyfriend, and homeless. And then, of course, there's Natalie Hope....

Happy Christmas - and I MUST have one of those snow globes.....

The Queen's Fool
The Queen's Fool
Price: 3.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Taught me so much!, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Queen's Fool (Kindle Edition)
I didn't know very much about the Tudors post Henry VIII, so I loved reading this. I had no idea about all the to-ing and fro-ing between Mary and Elizabeth before; what a terrifying world it must have been to have lived in.

I loved the story of Hannah, it was so convincing. One thing I really enjoyed was trying to trace London in my mind from Ms Gregory's descriptions of Fleet Street, and Cheapside, etc. These books are marvellous, from the fiction point of view and the way in which they wrap you up in the atmosphere of the time; I often find myself talking in 'Tudor Speak' for a while, after I've finished one....

Highly recommended, as with the rest of these wonderful books!

The Understudy
The Understudy
Price: 5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Cliche, cliche, cliche...., 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Understudy (Kindle Edition)
I did quite enjoy reading this book, and indeed have read a lot worse, but.... it was yet another 'lad lit' sterotype - the every-man type hero who is goodlooking, but not THAT goodlooking, has made some severe life choice errors in the past and is thought of as a bit of a loser by most but still has enough charisma to get the girl, is sensitive, self-effacing, makes a few 'goofy' balls-ups to make the reader titter, and has the odd quirk to make him a bit 'zany' - with Stephen McQueen it's the famous name, the fact that he has no fridge, and the obsession with watching old films projected onto the wall of his 'studio flat'.

It was one of those books where you know exactly who he's going to end up with on her first appearance in the story. Not one single surprise in the whole thing, I quite enjoyed reading it but from about half-way through was tempted to skim to the end to see if I was right about what would happen. I was, of course. Not only about who he'd end up with, but the rest of the plot, too.

Not bad, but forgettable.

X
X

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a massive complaint about this story!, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: X (Kindle Edition)
...which is that I would have liked it to be at least twice as long! Very, very good, perfectly paced, just the right amount of information leaked out at each right time. Even the spacing between paragraphs (the big gaps that appeared on my Kindle!) were spot on. I just wanted MORE!

If you like films like 28 Days Later, you will love this - I've always been fascinated by how quickly society can break down. 'X' reminded me of a short story by Stephen King, the name of which I can't remember (helpful, yes?) - similarly, it left me with unanswered questions, but as with the SK story this didn't matter, because what matters is the situation in which X has ended up.

The cover is spot on, too!

ONE STREET OVER
ONE STREET OVER

5.0 out of 5 stars Indie at its best, 28 Sep 2013
This review is from: ONE STREET OVER (Kindle Edition)
I loved this even more than its sequel, The Tree in the Front Yard. The facility on Amazon to self-publish for Kindle means that all sorts of stuff is now on sale - the very good, the good, the mediocre, the not-so-good and the tomes that makes you say 'shouldn't there be some sort of quality control?' Happily, it also gives you the opportunity to read really excellent books like this, for the price of about a quarter of a cup of coffee!

Kimberly Biller is a better writer than I think she realises. One Street Over, which will only take you about an hour or so to read, is funny, touching, clever, charming - I just loved it. You have to read it in a southern US accent, by the way! Ms Biller has the knack of making you see exactly what a character is like, without describing him or her; that's talent. It doesn't follow 'the rules', as laid down by creative writing courses, etc, but it doesn't need to because it WORKS. When you can write so that the scenes and characters come alive, you don't need to follow anyone else's rules! Some of the phrases made me laugh out loud (instead of Sissy's mum telling her off for being cheeky, she tells her off for 'sass mouthin') - and I LOVED the bit about the family's visits to the church.

Buy it. It's fab.

Wideacre (Wideacre Trilogy)
Wideacre (Wideacre Trilogy)
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The tale of a beautiful psycho...., 25 Sep 2013
I can understand why the people who've read this after Ms Gregory's Tudor court novels didn't like it - it's very different. Many of the bad reviews say that they didn't like it because the main character, Beatrice Lacey was so horrible - but surely the fact that they found her so awful should be a GOOD point - Ms Gregory obviously intended her to be thoroughly evil and selfish, and this has worked. Wasn't JR Ewing one of the most popular characters on TV, ever? Didn't stop people watching Dallas! I'd say Beatrice was actually insane, a psychopath, probably a sociopath, born evil - the beautiful teenager who arranged to have her father killed.

I found her obsession with her family's land completely convincing. I thought at first that I wasn't going to like the novel (thought it was going to be a bodice-ripper) but after about 5% it suddenly got more interesting, and I looked forward to reading it each night. I enjoyed it so much I immediately started on the sequel, The Favoured Child.

Another thing I loved about it was that it was obviously so well-researched. I found the whole village community thing, which was then destroyed by the introduction of the new farming methods, fascinating. Another winner, highly recommended - but not if you need to LIKE all the characters in a book in order to enjoy it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10