Profile for Q. PHAN > Reviews

Content by Q. PHAN

Q. PHAN (London)

Sound Isolating Dynamic Driver Earphones with improved Bass for Ipods, Ipads , MP3 and MP4 players with 3.5mm Jack
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)
Price: 12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great seller, 30 April 2014
Unfortunately the first pair I received were faulty (one side did not work) but all credit to the seller (Betron) they sent me a replacement pair immediately and got back to all my queries promptly, despite the product being cheap, they still delivered great service. Really happy with my purchase.

HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support
HDMI TO VGA Cable Adapter for PC Laptop Power-Free, Raspberry Pi, MHL support
Offered by CableMac
Price: 7.90

4.0 out of 5 stars unfortunately didn't work for me, 11 Oct 2013
but I am reticent to give it a poor rating as the cable adaptor arrived quickly enough. I bought it for my dad because he wanted to watch his media player on an old desktop monitor. It didn't work, but from what I understand this is a tricky thing to do (I dunno why).

Duronic Apex Digital Display Wind-Up Solar Powered AM/FM Radio Alarm Clock Torch Phone Charging Function - NEVER NEEDS BATTERIES
Offered by DURONIC
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The very definition of green energy, 25 Feb 2012
I am so pleased with this little radio. I bought it for relaxing in the evenings in my tent during my LEJOG walk later this year. And I have to say so far I'm really happy with it. I did a test run and wound it for about 3 or 4 minutes and it kept playing for ages, at least a couple of hours. And then I charged it by USB cable for the total recommended time (8 hours) and have been using it everyday or so for an hour and it's been going for at least 2 weeks with no sign of running out of energy.

It's nice and light but feels quite sturdy and well made. It has a digital display with a clock and alarm. There's even a torch on one side. If I had to complain about anything I would say that because of the design it's very easy to accidentally detune the radio when you pick it up since the volume and tuning knobs are on either side of the radio, almost like handles but this is a very minor complaint.

I fully recommend this radio.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars recommend with reservations, 6 April 2011
I wasn't going to write a review for this since there are so many already, and the Kindle is their number one selling item as Amazon have pointed on numerous places around the website. But my Kindle recently went wrong and I felt I had to at least give an opinion and review of both the reader itself along with the customer service that I received.

I bought the Kindle as a pre-order back in September last year and was counting the days till it was due to be delivered. The cover arrived first and I spent a good week or so just admiring it's quality and keenly awaiting the Kindle that would fill the void. When it finally did come I was not disappointed. I'd only ever caught brief glimpses of e-readers on the tube, or a commuter waiting at a bus stop. Just as described by another reviewer, the screen that you are first greeted with, telling you to plug it in to your computer, looks like the stickers that you find on mobile phones in shops, I did a double take before I realised that that was the display itself. The people at Amazon kindly sync it to your Amazon account so any books that you have already bought are immediately available to download to your Kindle.

The isn't too much to say about the reading screen that hasn't been said already, it's fantastic. I would only add that after the 1st week, I'd all but forgotten that I was reading on an electronic device, and I can honestly say that despite my apprehensions I don't really miss paper books anymore. I think it was just sentimentality on my part. That's not to say that it isn't without its faults. I have a few criticisms for example, the page turning buttons are too close to edges so that if you are holding the device without a cover you can't help but accidentally turn the pages. And the experimental features like the MP3 player and web browser need a bit more work to make them a bit more user-friendly.

That said it, if you focus on the reading aspect which is what it is designed for, its does exactly what it should do and I would heartily recommend it to anybody. I have been taking it to the gym recently to read whilst I am on the treadmill and it has certainly made the miles go a lot quicker. And this I did quite happily for a while... until the other day when I pulled it out of my bag and found that the top left hand corner of the screen wasn't refreshing. It looked like there had been some kind of damage to it. Now I've have always kept it in my bag, I hadn't dropped it, in fact in the 7 or so months that I have had it I had never pranged it in anyway. So I was quite upset. It also meant that that night I had to listen to the radio whilst running and it was a poorer experience for it. I am about a third of the way through 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' and was itching to read more.

So this morning I phoned the customer service department, or more accurately they called me, using their handy call back service on the website. I explained what had happened to a nice a polite lady, and without any hesitation she organised for me to be sent a replacement. I was half expecting to have to explain myself and perhaps even become aggressive or do a spot of pathetic pleading, neither of which I am any good at.

So all in all, I would really recommend this device. It has got me reading again. I have noticed recently that the prices of some of the books have rocketed up so that buying a paperback is often cheaper, which has really put me off. But apparently this is down to the dirty rotten publishers, imposing minimum tariffs on their books, bit of a shame that one because I think it was a real plus point.

My only other reservation is with the screen. My friend also had a similar thing happen, but her screen actually cracked on a plane journey, without any kind of 'trauma' to it. I have a feeling that this is a common occurrence, although I can't be sure. So perhaps screen sturdiness/device robustness is something that will be improved on the next model.

The customer service was brilliant though, truly excellent. Amazon fully deserve 5 stars on that front. I just hope I don't have anymore problems after my year's warranty is up. At 152 it's not too bad if you have to replace it, but I would like to get at least 5 years use out of it. But I have just bought my mum one for her birthday, which I think is the best endorsement I could give it. She reads both Vietnamese and English books and it can handle both.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2011 3:50 PM BST

Sandisk 2gb Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player black
Sandisk 2gb Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player black
Price: 42.48

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good for radio, 1 April 2011
I bought this player about 6 months ago when my Sony MP3 player konked out. I bought it mainly for the FM radio function. Out of the box, it's great, easy to setup, music is managed by Windows drag-and-drop so no complaints there. And the sound quality isn't all that bad either. I have quite a wide mixture of tracks and they all sound fine.

But the problem starts when I listen to the radio. It loses it's tuning every 5 minutes or so, so I keep having to re-tune it. And also the volume goes up and down all the time when I'm listening to the radio.

It's a bit of a shame really because generally quite like it. Great for music but for the radio, which is the reason I bought it, it's a bit of a pain. I know that I should really have sent it back in case it's faulty but just seemed to be a lot of hassle and I'd already chucked the packaging.

How to Buy a House
How to Buy a House
by Phil Spencer

2.0 out of 5 stars Best leave this book on your coffee table, 8 Oct 2006
This review is from: How to Buy a House (Paperback)
If you like the idea of buying a house and want to have a colourful and attractive book to let your friends know that you are 'thinking of buying a house' then this is a must. If you are a first time buyer and serious about buying a house, then don't bother.

It's mostly style over substance filled with nice photos and a really annoying magazine-style layout with bits of text scattered across the page in random segments. There's also some really garbage tips like 'Kirstie says, 'don't forget estate agents are human too, why not get them coffee on the way to your viewings from the nearest Starbucks...' or some such. Which she immediately admits is a stupid idea, as if everyone followed it, all estate agents would be bloated and caffeine crazed.

To be fair there are some useful bits and pieces, but a lot of it is either common sense or common courtesy. Lots of things are glossed over so it's unclear what happens between different stages.

I think you're better off getting the Adam Walker book of the same name. It's much better laid out with clear headings and practical advice that you can follow. This one is definitly best kept on the coffee table of your Clapham flat.