Profile for The book addict > Reviews

Content by The book addict

The book addict (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy)
Edge of Eternity (The Century Trilogy)
by Ken Follett

4.0 out of 5 stars Keen Ken Follett Fan mildly disappointed!, 11 Jan. 2015
I'm not going to leave a long review, there's already plenty that's been said about this book. I'm a massive Follett fan and have read all of his books, The Pillars at least 5 times and it's in my top 3 all time books.
This conclusion to the trilogy wasn't as good as I'd hoped, certainly not up to the standard of the first two. It felt like there was MORE history and LESS character development in Edge of Eternity. All in all it just feels a little rushed. Perhaps because it's covering a greater time period than the previous two? It's also got less action and drama. I suppose WW1 and WW2 give a more exciting backdrop for novels than the Cold War era does?
I would have also like to have learned a little more about previous characters who were some what glossed over in this novel, some even not mentioned at all. Also some unexplained events. No appearance of Billy Twice, what happened to Dimka and Tanias father? No mention of Eric Von Ulrich... Where did he go?
Also a lot of the warm multifaceted characters from previous books become stereotyped sticks in the muds. Lloyd Williams for one, Werner for another. I didn't like how they came across as petty minor characters. Also we have an odd bit of poor continuity here and there.
In the end of the previous book we meet George who is charming the girls and wearing his clothes badly just like his Dad (Greg). In this novel George is a neat freak and not that much of a ladies man, and crickey..... How many times to we have hear about Greg having a rumpled suit???
To summarise. Yes this an amazing book (hence 4-stars) from an accomplished author and concludes an EPIC saga which most authors couldn't even attempt. However I feel it's not his best effort, and perhaps was a bit rushed and following a formula instead of being a work of love. This is the trouble with great Authors... You expect everything! I will read this again one day, and recommend it to anyone who likes the trilogy or the author. Just be warned.. It's not his BEST book, just really good as opposed to amazing!

The Big Needle
The Big Needle
by Ken Follett
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite poor, but worth reading if you're a keen Ken ..., 16 Dec. 2014
Quite poor, but worth reading if you're a keen Ken Follett fan. It shows how he has perfected his trade!

The Viking (The Viking Series Book 1)
The Viking (The Viking Series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly I'm 34 and expect better!, 16 Dec. 2014
Probably ok if I was 10. Sadly I'm 34 and expect better!

The Mad Ship (The Liveship Traders, Book 2)
The Mad Ship (The Liveship Traders, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars And straight away loved it and went out and bought all the paperbacks, 16 Dec. 2014
Wow!!
I'm an avid reader and can't believe I've not discovered this Author until very recently. I picked up a copy of the assasins apprentice as it was free on kindle... And straight away loved it and went out and bought all the paperbacks. I was gutted to reach the end of the three books and couldn't wait to get back to finding out more about Fitz. The authors website said that this trilogy was next in the chronological order, I was tempted to skip straight to the tawny man set, but now I've moved onto the liveship trilogy I'm blown away! It's deeper and darker and WAY more detailed than the previous books. I love the way the story opens up as we move through the novels and find out more of the back story.
No complaints. It's slow and detailed and perfect.
Can't wait to read the next, I'm going to force myself to wait at least a month before I buy it though!

Absolutely amazing quality of work from Robin Hobb.

Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles)
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles)
by Jeffrey Archer

3.0 out of 5 stars A good author who's banging the books out for maximum profit with insufficient attention to detail!, 7 Dec. 2014
I'm a keen fan of fiction. And usually love series of books such as this.
Book 1of the set I quite enjoyed, but by the time of reading this one (the 3rd) it's starting to feel rushed and contrived. I'm also getting annoyed with the continual errors and mistakes. A good author who's banging the books out for maximum profit with insufficient attention to detail!

Sense & Sensibility
Sense & Sensibility
by Joanna Trollope

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Sense & Sensibility (Hardcover)
ugh.... utter dross.

Bernard Cornwell Sharpe Box Set: Sharpe's Triumph / Sharpe's Tiger / Sharpe's Fortress
by Bernard Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Nov. 2014
love the author, love the character and really love this well written prequels. couldn't be any better

The Girl in the Box Series, Books 1-3: Alone, Untouched and Soulless
The Girl in the Box Series, Books 1-3: Alone, Untouched and Soulless

3.0 out of 5 stars my 13 year old daughter will love these., 14 Nov. 2014
meh.... my 13 year old daughter will love these... I couldn't bother reading more than the first few chapters.

Never Too Late
Never Too Late

3.0 out of 5 stars sweet and appears to be written by a child for ..., 14 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Never Too Late (Kindle Edition)
short, sweet and appears to be written by a child for a child...

Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)
Assassin's Apprentice (The Farseer Trilogy, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars wow..... one part of me ..., 14 Nov. 2014
wow..... one part of me Is really gutted that its taken nearly 20 years for me to find this book.....the other part is ecstatic at finding a new (to me) author of this calibre...
cant wait to read the next one.

Page: 1 | 2