Profile for Laurent Griot > Reviews

Laurent Griot

Darwin's Radio
Darwin's Radio

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Darwin's Radio (Kindle Edition)
The science used is in contradiction with our current knowlegde, so difficult to read seriously.

God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 12 Sept. 2014
Easier to get all his arguments from watching his youtube videos

Footvote
Footvote

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Footvote (Kindle Edition)
Very specific to a UK audience of 2008

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

4.0 out of 5 stars very readable and well written, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
Well written, very readable novel. Opens your eyes to what it is in America today to have cancer at a young age.

The Moral Landscape
The Moral Landscape

5.0 out of 5 stars finally someone who brings clarity to the question, 6 July 2013
After centuries of nonsense, here is finally someone who gives us an objective mean to decide the definition of good and bad.

Free Will
Free Will

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but I prefer his talks about this subject, 12 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Free Will (Kindle Edition)
I had watched him talk about this very subject on web videos, and I loved it, so I thought I should read this book. I have to say that his talks express the same idea in a more concise manner, and that the extra material I have read here do not really bring anything that interesting. It is still a a great read and Sam is a master modern philosopher: unlike most philosophers he uses understandable concepts to make any point, and he remains practical and concrete at all times, which makes it readable by anyone.

NETGEAR WN3000RP-100UKS Universal WiFi Range Extender (WiFi Booster)
NETGEAR WN3000RP-100UKS Universal WiFi Range Extender (WiFi Booster)

1.0 out of 5 stars Working only the first day, 15 Nov. 2012
This is complete rubbish. I set it up in only a few minutes on the first day, and connected 4 devices to the internet successfully (1 iphone, one ipad, 1destop computer, and one laptop).

The next day, only the laptop can still connect to the internet on the new extended network (and it is very very slow, much slower than yesterday), the other 3 devices can see a really good connection (5 bars) but no internet access behind it.

I have tried to do a factory reset and restart from scratch, and it worked the first day again,a nd failed the second day and all subsequnet days exactly in the same manner.

So I am back to square 1: I have to go back downstairs each time I want to use the internet, except I am 50 pounds worse off.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2013 12:41 PM BST

WiFi Repeater Access Point up to 300 / 150 / 54 Mbps WLAN wireless amplifier for the socket including LAN connection , for 802.11 b / g / n standards with UK Plug

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality product, 4 Nov. 2012
The instructions are in Chinese-English, impossible to properly understand what they mean. The setup is crazy complicated. The network it creates does not have the same name as the one it repeats, so when you move about the house with your tablet, you keep having to change network. Finally, once I managed to setup the repeater, it worked for about 1 hour, and then never worked again, although I reset it and tried to reconfigure it like I did the first time. This product is a complete time waster and it isn't worth a penny.

The Power Of Babel: A Natural History of Language
The Power Of Babel: A Natural History of Language

1.0 out of 5 stars Really not sure, 3 Oct. 2011
I am puzzled by the inconsistency of quality of this book. I read the kindle version, and the first think that strikes is the poor punctuation. Missing full stops, and obviously he cannot see the difference between a dash and a hyphen, which is unsettling. Then there are many poor analogies with American popular culture, most of which I didn't get. On the other hande, there is interesting data, and many conclusions that make a lot of sense. Also the analogies between language evolution and biological evolution are very relevant and appropriate.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 15, 2013 2:10 PM BST