Profile for Frou Frou > Reviews

Content by Frou Frou

Frou Frou "Frou Frou" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Tarot Illuminati
Tarot Illuminati

3.0 out of 5 stars Maddening and beautiful, room for improvement, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Tarot Illuminati (App)
This is a nice app to have if you have a light to medium interest in Tarot but not one if you are seeking nuanced readings where the meaning of the card is altered to suit the position of the card in the spread. The meaning is set throughout which is unbelievably frustrating and non-sensical when you have for example The Ace of Cups in a difficulty position and in another spread in the advantage position and the meaning does not alter! It's v.unhelpful. The artwork is stunning, the thoughtful passages attributed to each card read beautifully and there is extra info on the meaning of the suits and symbolism in other areas such as numerically, and it is great that you can save your readings. But if you are looking for readings which give you the depth of Tarot.com, then avoid, this isn't it. Go for it, if you want something a bit more superficial and want to educate yourself on the general meaning and experience of Tarot cards though. It's a nice app but could have been so much more sophisticated and useful and amazing if the developers had bothered to invest more time in making the meanings of the cards more nuanced and sensitive to their meanings altering in the layout of a spread.

Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - R
Kindle Fire HD 7", HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - R

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes me sad to give this one star :(, 10 May 2014
I won this Kindle as a prize, I was delighted to have won it, Sadly in the space of less than four months I have got through three of them. It is a device riddled with glitches regardless of how much TLC I bestow upon it. I have experienced it lose sound, play fim without sound, switch itself off after literally a fews mins use despite being fully powered, skip between Yahoo mail boxes despite me not touching anything. The running of apps causing it to crash.My first drained power in mere hours. The incumbent lasted less than a month before it showed glitches. Each time I did a factory reset or returned it I lost all my rounds on games I'd played and had to set up everything from scratch, such as the words in the dictionary. It was serious tiresome. Amazon have been very co-operative with reaching a resolution, but trying to use this has been very stressful to be honest and I would strongly advise you to avoid it, the device clearly has a technical issue that somehow evaded testing. It's just not normal for a customer to get through three models of a Kindle in four months. When it worked though, I have to say it was a real pleasure to use (despite the adverts, limited apps esp Amazon's own, odd you can't view book samples in it) - gorgeous clear screen, good sound, smooth movement, stunning colours but unfortunately the good times just didn't last, if they had, it would have been nicer to leave a different kind of review.

Angel Astrology 101: Discover the Angels Connected with Your Birth Chart
Angel Astrology 101: Discover the Angels Connected with Your Birth Chart

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to finally see a book that ties the two together, 10 May 2014
This is the first time I've seen a book that combines the two themes of angels and astrology together. It's an interesting premise. I've been into astrology for decades, but only recently started to look into the notion of angels and the power of prayer, so I was curious to see how both could be combined. I requested a review copy from Net Galley which was supplied to me electronically but for some reason, not in a Kindle friendly format! Huge shame as I can't tell Kindle viewers what it's like and I'm not sure how representative the download is of the hardcopy edition so my star rating errs on the side of caution. I'm happy to revise this when I've had the opportunity to peruse a copy as i appreciate how important star rating are for the author.
Yasmin Boland is a really good astrologer and her website often combines the influence of angel's into her forecast. Doreen Virtue's Angel cards are a thing of beauty. Together, they've created what I'd call a gentle introduction into both areas. Basically, each sign of the zodiac is tied in tandem with a corresponding angel. For example Pisces is twinned with Archangel Sandalphon. Taurus with Archangel Chamuel. There are religious overtones, which are unavoidable if you believe in angels so bear that in mind. But also speculation that the three wise men may have been astrologers themselves and even Jesus might have had a relationship with the stars. The summary about the angels was really enjoyable to read, having scant knowledge, I found the themes interesting, though I'm still not really convinced by what I've read as to how the correlations between Archangel Chamuel and romance for example comes about. It could just have been my copy but I felt the book lacked enough specific angel imagery. There have been some beautiful images of angels created over hundreds of years, for example stained glass windows of Archangel Michael in churches, and even within Doreen Virtue's own card collections some lovely illustrations - I feel the book may have been more vividly realised and the depiction of Angels given more of a concrete presence if the book had contained more of those. But essentially, the book gives you food for thought and ultimately it hinges on your own personal ideological beliefs how much the themes and relationships between God and the Heavens will sway you. I don't see it converting anyone new unless you already have mystic bones in your body. New angle on an interesting concept, just a shame that I couldn't review it as accurately as I would have liked to! Thanks for the review copy nonetheless.

PhD Diet Whey High Protein Lean Matrix - Belgian Chocolate Flavour - 2kg
PhD Diet Whey High Protein Lean Matrix - Belgian Chocolate Flavour - 2kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stuff!, 20 April 2014
I'm a protein shake virgin. I've always been wary of supplements drinks of any kind when looking to lose weight, but have to say that using this product has reassured me. I'm currently following Diane Kress's Metabolism plan which is very low-carb to begin with and this product suits me perfectly being 4g net carb ( after subtracting fibre) per 2 scoop serving. I've had this as the bulk of my breakfast and was impressed that it satisfied me until lunchtime. Plus, when I am on the hoof in London, it also proves to be a great mobile lunchshake too, taking the stress out of hunting for something that fits my bill. I am also impressed at the nutrient breakdown and pleased to find it contains green tea which is great for stoking the metabolism. Having a sluggish thyroid this drink has been helpful in kick-starting my weight loss. I'm using it sensibly and am delighted that as an added bonus that the drink also satisfies my sweet tooth and deals with my chocolate cravings! It tastes genuinely good especially if you're tastebuds miss sugar and I enjoy the texture of the hemp seeds. I use a shaker with a metal wire ball to ensure it blends well. There are no lumps if you add the water first and the powder second. Have already purchased my second tub. I reckon I'll grow flowers in the first one when I've finished its contents. Grateful this product exists.

Cross and Burn (Tony Hill Book 8)
Cross and Burn (Tony Hill Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than 'A Retribution' phew!, 18 Oct 2013
While I've been laid up with the lergy, I've devoured Val McDermid's Cross & Burn which is the latest tome in her 'Wire in the Blood' series. Thankfully, it's way better than 'A Retribution', which disappointed me and didn't ring true to the world she created. However, I found the actual misogynistic, warped-by-his-daddy and now grown up to emulate him, villain in this tale a little cliched, which was a shame, as she's created some incredible characters in the past, it was the weakest part in an otherwise extremely readable novel. The villain's narrative just seemed to serve as a plot device to bring the threads together for our favourite duo, but it's a minor gripe, it's because of I love that world McDermid's created, I've become more demanding as a reader!

I enjoyed the nuanced, emotional intelligence of the tale and it was interesting to see a newly-promoted DS Paula McIntyre take centre stage while Tony Hill and Carol Jordan were relegated a little more to the sidelines and left to try and make sense of the fallout of Jacko Vance's bloody rampage, chiefly the end of their working and personal relationship, a relationship I, along with no doubt thousands of other readers, have been fascinated by from the outset. Interestingly, this is, unless I'm mistaken, the first novel we see DCI Fielding introduced (played in the now sadly defunct TV show by Simone Lahbib,what were ITV thinking!)Possibly, the first time I've read a novel where a television character has crossed over into a writer's landscape to quite dramatic effect.

Despite a few unanswered questions, I was loathed for the novel to finish, that's how much I enjoyed it. This is still my favourite crime series and lergy or no lergy, I'll be perky and ready to read the next one. Thanks very much to Net Galley for the advance kindle copy.

Every Single Moment In My Life Is a Weary Wait (Movie Version: This Must Be the Place - Vocalist David Copley)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesmeric, 6 Oct 2013
It took a lot of digging around to track down this song, as I had no idea what it was called and it featured prominently in a scene that ended up being deleted in the movie, 'This Must Be The Place,' but I loved it so much I had to find it. Unusually for me I know nothing about the artist behind the song, even though I got a bit obsessed with it. The song was used to great emotional effect in the scene it featured in, where Sean Penn's character, a disenchanted, jaded rockstar, Cheyenne, watches his younger beautiful incarnation, on screen, as he's singing this song back to him. It's a moody, gentle, song - if The Cure and Low mated, this might be what they'd sound like.

If I Had A Gun...
If I Had A Gun...

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: If I Had A Gun... (MP3 Download)
Lush, beautiful song, as good as anything Oasis put out when they were at their peak. Full of huge sentiment, I saw this performed live the first time I heard it and it was love at first listen. My MP3 player had a glitch in it for a while where it played a track several time over in a row, you know what, with this song, I really didn't mind!

The Runaway Year
The Runaway Year
by Shani Struthers

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative chick-lit set in a gorgeous location, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Runaway Year (Paperback)
Despite the sunshiny cover on the front, this debut novel by Shani Struthers, actually made me cry! And I watch hardcore horror films and read Poppy Z Brite, but this book moved me, because it's about relationships, and not just the romantic ones that define the genre of chick-lit, which this novel broadly falls into, as essentially it is a contemporary romance and the style of writing is chatty and engaging, but the other ones that shape us. I would describe it as alternative chick-lit as the protagonists duck the mainstream in the lives, loves and the dreams they pursue, and there are some heavier issues explored, which made it much more interesting to me. So what's the storyline about?

The Runaway Year is about a Brightonian woman, Layla Lewis, running away from her old life, her two-timing rat of a boyfriend to Trecastle in Cornwall to make sense of what she wants in life, but it's also about enduring friendships, troubled marriages, infidelity, absent mothers and yearning daughters, lovers struggling to let go of exes to seize the love that's standing right in front of them; so love in all kinds of shapes and form, mainly told from the female perspective. If that appeals to you, you will enjoy this.

I would have preferred a more balanced view on that score, as I enjoyed the male leads, especially Joseph, and love reading men, I would have been happier to read a longer novel if I'd got to know more about them. I have since spotted excerpts that didn't make the final cut on the writer's blog.

Lastly, the location is stunning. It will make you want to run off to Cornwall and explore all the places described. I absolutely loved the description; this was a big plus for me, as I am a huge fan of the area. Struthers clearly knows her stuff when it comes to the region. I've heard that the novel is being sold by the tourism office of the real location the novel is based on. And where exactly is that? Well, you'll just have to read it to find out. A promising four stars from me. I look forward to reading more by her.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent for sure, 22 April 2013
I wanted to wait a few weeks before leaving a review so I could see the topper working at it's optimum ability and I think I'm there now! Firstly I just wanted to say that I completely recommend this topper and the delivery service on a free delivery basis was exemplary. I ordered it on Friday and it arrived on Saturday morning by 11am!
It's really important you do your research when looking for a topper. They are different weight bearing/support densities, this one is 75kg m3, I've seen cheaper ones sold online supporting a lower weight density, or been told this on making a query about them - they might feel good but many not give you the support you seek if you are heavier. Do correct me if I'm wrong. But either way this one is aces. We literally saw it expand before our eyes, and just left it out, opened a window to deal with the smell and went out for the day.
I slept on it that same night and it took a little getting used to, it was probably still expanding to be honest, but after a few days, I was in wow sleep heaven. Previously I'd been waking with a bit of backache, I've developed a bad habit of writing in bed. I should replace my existing mattress, but I can't afford the ones I have my eye on. This topper is providing me a great interim solution and when I do upgrade I don't doubt with its thickness it will come in handy in the future. I have some valance bedsheets and find these cope well with the increased height of my bed. Fitted double sheets might struggle. So why the loss of a star? Well I find the topper moves around on my bed and virtually each day I have to yank it back into place! Plus, it's not quite a double size either. It's a few inches short which does bemuse me, I would have loved an exact fit, I had a 3cm topper prior to this which fit just fine, so not sure why this one doesn't? That aside, 10cm of memory foam combined has blessed me with decadent sleep and it's been a massive bonus and blessing to wake sans ache feeling well rested. Great product and impressively speedy delivery too. Love it, so pleased I invested in it.

Playing on Cotton Clouds
Playing on Cotton Clouds

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that made me ditch all my plans for Sunday, 5 July 2012
A friend of mine recommended the book to me and I'm so glad she did because I really enjoyed it. I've got a list of things to do as long as my arm at the moment, but I forsook them all on Sunday to read this novel from cover to cover, stopping only for essential things and then returning to my kindle to pick the tale up again from where I'd left off. Trust me that hadn't been the plan. So why was I so engrossed?
The book demanded it, because my heart got utterly caught up in the trials and tribulations of these beautifully realised characters with their flaws, dreams, hopes and loves. We meet them as teenagers in the 1980s congregating on a bridge connecting two halves of a town, the geeky girl, the shy boy, the princess, the heartthrob and we follow them through life on a unpredictable trajectory, this cast of characters who I could relate to for better or worse. And the cultural references made me smile. It's really clear the writer loves her music, I do too. This was my kind of tale! There were lovely turns of phrase which sometimes pleased me so much I re-read them again just to savour them. (Seth) `And so here he was, sewn into cousin Jess's refitted jeans, thick chestnut hair falling into his grey eyes, a few jingling coins and sixteen years in his pocket.'
The story isn't rushed, It unfolds gently at its own pace. I would have preferred it to move a little faster and some of the gaps in time left me forlorn for what I didn't know. I would happily have read a longer book and had less breaks in time. But as criticisms go, those are positive ones, more a reflection on the emotional connection I felt with the cast and wanting to know more about them. This is a read that stole my heart and didn't outstay its welcome. A very solid four stars from me. Brilliant debut.

Page: 1 | 2