Profile for Chrissie > Reviews

Content by Chrissie

Chrissie (Brighton, East Sussex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Low-carb & Gluten-free Vegetarian: Simple, Delicious Recipes for a Low-carb and Gluten-free Lifestyle
by Celia Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast of Delights, 19 July 2014
As a newly wheat-free (egg & cheese eating) vegetarian who's fighting the flab, I've been finding it confusing trying to manage a low carb diet, so was thrilled by this book.
A pleasing size (21x21cm) with quality shiny paper & plenty of mouthwatering full colour pictures, although not for EVERY recipe. A good cook book engages ALL the senses, so has to feel nice & have tempting pictures, or they'll just get left on a shelf .... & for me, eyes are the first triggers of appetite!
Full of simple, easy to prepare, delicious recipes that I'm systematically working through. They've been very well received by the family (relieved to see the back of cardboard-y low fat fare), although I have to serve with extra buttery potatoes for my skinny 'not bothered about carbs' husband & son). PS. Weight is just slipping away & since giving up wheat, I feel 10 years younger too.

Magritte (Basic Art Album)
Magritte (Basic Art Album)
by Marcel Paquet

5.0 out of 5 stars A most excellent book, 3 July 2014
I'm delighted with this book. I bought it as an introduction to Magritte's work & found it an ideal size to show off the wonderful colour illustrations to their best effect, without being too large & ungainly (can also get it into my bookshelf!)
I didn't want anything too small (or the power would have been lost); nor a book of posters. This was a excellent size to handle comfortably, with lovely, shiny, quality pages. All that I wanted.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind., 6 Aug. 2011
After a horror story about what can happen to electricals after a power surge, I felt motivated to get some protection. This is a neat extension cable & the four sockets are enough for my needs. It's definitely worth spending extra for individual switches as it's much, MUCH easier to flick a switch, rather then having to yank out a plug every time. The switches light up when in use so you know they're on & there's a permanent light at one end, to show it's getting juice from the mains. This cable has a two metre lead which was fine, but check the length of cable you need as it's very frustrating if it's too short.
Don't think I've experienced any surges yet, so I don't know if the cable lives up to expectations....
or maybe I have...
& it did....

Kids Line Zanzibar Printed High Pile Plush Blanket
Kids Line Zanzibar Printed High Pile Plush Blanket

5.0 out of 5 stars A really super little blankee, 3 July 2011
I love this little blanket because unusually, it doesn't conform to the lazy stereotype of blues or pinks. It's very soft, very snuggly & that little bit different.

Odor-Eaters Foot Powder 100G
Odor-Eaters Foot Powder 100G

5.0 out of 5 stars When the going gets hot, 3 July 2011
This stuff is amazing. When you've been on your feet all day & they're hot & fat, a light dusting brings relief in an instant. It leaves feet feeling cool & silky AND stops them whiffing. It's a super fine powder, so I wouldn't recommend opening the holes all the way or you'll get engulfed in a cloud of the stuff & take care if using on wooden floors as the powder makes them slippery.

The "Harry Potter" Time Turner and Sticker Kit (Running Press Mega Mini Kits)
The "Harry Potter" Time Turner and Sticker Kit (Running Press Mega Mini Kits)
by Running Press
Edition: Accessory

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Turning fun, 3 July 2011
These are difficult to find in toy shops as some think HP is a corrupting influence (Honestly!!) so thank goodness for Amazon.
A good childrens toy that's chunky & sturdy enough to withstand some excitable playing & although plastic, the concentric circles move around in a very satisfying way.

DN-Technology New Apple iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2  Black 360 PU Leather Case / Cover /Wallet and 360 Degree Rotating Stand For New Apple iPad 4th Generation (With Retina Display), iPad 3  iPad 2
DN-Technology New Apple iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2 Black 360 PU Leather Case / Cover /Wallet and 360 Degree Rotating Stand For New Apple iPad 4th Generation (With Retina Display), iPad 3 iPad 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic case., 3 July 2011
This is NOT a leather case, but it IS a well designed leather look case. The port holes all line up well & there's a velcro strap that holds the iPad snugly in place. The magnetic flap closes neatly, it's not too heavy & the whole thing looks sturdy & vastly more expensive then it actually is, with neat stiching around the edges. It took a while for the synthetic smell to die down, but it does go away. I didn't use the free screen protectors as there seemed to be some debate about how good they are, so I just left the original iPad film over the screen & that seems to be fine.
If I had to criticise anything, it would concern the stand arrangement, which is really only for horizontal viewing, but that's a problem that expensive cases have too & you don't expect miracles from such a fantastically priced Item.
VERY glad I read the reviews as I get suspicious if things are too cheap, but I'd recommend this cover to anyone.

"Ultrafresh" Anti Allergy, 16" EXTRA DEEP DOUBLE Size Fitted BLUE Sheet, By Rejuvopedic©
Offered by The Linen Depot

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent poly-cotton sheet, 3 July 2011
After buying a 2" memory foam mattress topper, I found that my fitted sheets needed to be wrestled on, leaving me hot, shakey & with broken fingernails. Then they'd ping off in the night & we'd wake up in a scrunch of bedding. I like poly-cotton because it' s easy to manage in the wash & doesn't crease so badly, so I bought one of these extra deep fitted sheets to try. I've been really pleased & think it's good value for money too. It's easy to put on & doesn't fight back. It stays in place & has plenty of sheet to tuck under the mattress; & best of all, at last, we can fully appreciate our new foam topper.
The true test is would I buy another... & YES I have.

Yale Locks P77 Traditional Nightlatch ENB/PB Cylinder 60 mm Backset Visi Pack
Yale Locks P77 Traditional Nightlatch ENB/PB Cylinder 60 mm Backset Visi Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional & sturdy, 30 May 2011
Not knowing much about locks, I bought the one I recognised. It's a Yale so has a trusty reputation & it's sturdy & traditional looking. It was easy to attach & does what you want a lock to do. Haven't been burgled yet. (Note to burglars... that wasn't a challenge.)

California Baby Calendula Cream
California Baby Calendula Cream
Offered by Best Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful WONDERFUL cream, 31 Mar. 2011
I've had perioral dermatitis for ages, but thought it was some kind of mutated, middle aged acne, so was unbelievably relieved when I eventually found out exactly what it was. Information from the web pointed me to calendula cream, but I tried several that didn't work for me, before finding the Amazon site & the review by Jo O that mentioned perioral dermatitis specifically.

On the strength of that review, I bought the California Baby cream & I was stunned by how quickly the angry rash died down. I used absolutely nothing on my face for a week, except warm water & a flannel to wash, followed by the cream. Although the blisters settled almost immediately, I still had slight discolouration where they'd been, so I continued to use the cream around my mouth & my usual face cream everywhere else until they too disappeared. To understand just how thrilled I am, you must understand that I've had these painful & embarrassing spots on my face for years.

I've just started to use my original face cream again (only because I'm trying to keep wrinkles at bay) & so far, my skin hasn't objected, but it's such a relief to know that if I get a flare up, I can treat it immediately & with total confidence.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2015 3:11 PM GMT