ARRAY(0xb2804078)

Profile for North Westie > Reviews

Content by North Westie

North Westie "Rachel" (Warrington, UK)

Kipling Women's Rachele Shoulder Bag
Kipling Women's Rachele Shoulder Bag

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab colour and great value bag, 8 Feb 2013
This is my second Kipling bag and I'm really pleased with my purchase. I ordered teal as it was a great price and would go with the colours I tend to wear. Its a nice subtle colour which will be suitable for spring and summer too. This bag is a useful size, plenty of space without being too bulky and has a few pockets to allow you to organise your stuff. I know from my first Kipling purchase that I will be able to wash this bag and the material is more hard wearing than leather. So glad I got this but now really want to get another colour!

Grayson Perry: The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman
Grayson Perry: The Tomb of the Unknown Craftsman
by Grayson Perry
Price: 18.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomb full of treasures, 13 May 2012
I bought this book to remind me of some of the pieces I loved in the exhibition. It's a fantastic collection of images of Grayson's works and some of the those items produced by the unknown crafts people that he included in the exhibition.

It's a great book that I am finding more entertaining than I thought - love it - buy your own copy!

Colour Me Slimmer: Clever Dressing for a Fabulous Figure (Colour Me Beautiful)
Colour Me Slimmer: Clever Dressing for a Fabulous Figure (Colour Me Beautiful)
by Veronique Henderson

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 21 Aug 2011
I was initially disappointed by this book as it didn't provide the information I wanted. I wanted some tips on what colour combinations I could wear to look slimmer and yet I felt the information given on this topic was a bit minimal and obvious. However the book was helpful in explaining how to dress for my shape and which patterns might suit me so I did learn from it. I've bought a number of books on this topic and this was a useful addition but might not have enough detail if you haven't any other books about this - How to Never Look Fat Again!: Over 1000 Ways to Dress Thinner - Without Dieting might be a better book to get in that case.

Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Offered by Tracymuk
Price: 34.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and you work up a sweat!, 21 Aug 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this over a month ago and having been doing several zumba sessions a week. Its a great way to exercise as I am so busy concentrating on the steps that I forget that I am exercising! I started off trying out the tutorials which start off slow and then seem to speed up with no middle ground. I decided to try the beginner class - just 20 mins - which seemed hard work and I thought I would never get it right. I stuck with it and was soon doing 45 minute sessions. I get easily bored so I tried out the beginner, intermediate and expert classes without getting past level 4 on any of them. However I have gone back to the beginner classes and seem to have improved quite a bit so I am getting a better score.
I haven't progressed to the other "venues" yet but I am still enjoying zumba and I can see improved muscle tone already. I'm enjoying this far more than other exercise wii games that I have so even though I am not a natural dancer it seems that dance games are a great way for me to exercise and have fun.

My Fitness Coach: Dance Workout (Wii)
My Fitness Coach: Dance Workout (Wii)
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!
Price: 15.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to keep fit, 2 May 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed using it. I am not used to even basic moves in dance so even the beginner exercises seem quite fast and at first I thought I would never keep up. However I have stuck at it - because it is still fun to try - and I am getting better gradually. I find that concentrating on keeping up in the "class" distracts me from the fact that I am exercising and without the embarrassment of failing to keep up in a real fitness or dance class! The mini games are fun although it is taking me a while to master them - only just realised what I am doing wrong in the group skipping game. I only have one Wii remote and I think this would work better with two as they recommend but I am still enjoying using the workout. I am really pleased with my purchase and actually enjoy getting exercise!

EA Sports Active 2 (Wii)
EA Sports Active 2 (Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 32.47

4.0 out of 5 stars Great aid to getting fit, 2 May 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I read all the reviews on Amazon before purchasing this game and that helped me when setting up the game and knowing what to expect so thanks to all the other reviewers. I think Krissii from Shropshire lists a lot of the issues with the game so I won't go into that sort of detail.

I have used the other EA Active titles - EA Active and More workouts - and enjoyed using them so wanted to give this one a go. The heart rate monitor and leg monitor have so far worked as they should (I did have to "rebind peripherals" at the start but no problems after that) and I find the heart rate monitoring useful. I am currently doing the Cardio Kickstart programme on medium setting and thought it was a bit easy to start with but now I am huffing and puffing a bit during the later workouts! I often don't mind the pauses between exercises as it gives me time to have a drink or to recover a bit if it was hard going! It is easy to pause an exercise if necessary too.

Having read other reviews I was not surprised to find that the Wii remote would pause the game if I didn't hold it during the exercises. At first I just tried moving it every now and again in places where it was not required. This didn't work that well so now I hold the Wii remote during all the exercises (where possible) and that has cured the problem. I don't find holding the Wii remote an issue for me and I don't have a Wii balance board so no problems to report there either!

I have had a few problems with some of the arm exercises - the Mii on screen doesn't always mirror my movements and sometimes I have had to add in other moves to get the exercise to move on. In one case my arm movements will not register at all so I just do the exercise for the number of reps and then skip the exercise.

I like some of the new exercises but miss some of the ones on the previous titles and I think More Workouts had a nicer setting! I bought My Fitness Coach Dance Workout at the same time (as EA Active 2) and that is slightly more fun but doesn't have the heart rate monitor, alternating between the two keeps me interested in exercise and my arms look a lot more toned!

The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
The Thick Of It: The Complete Series 1-3 & Specials [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Addison
Price: 10.34

5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more episodes to watch, 2 May 2010
I bought this last weekend intending to spread out my viewing - I've watched all the episodes and most of the extras already because I was enjoying the series so much.

It was great to see series 1 (and 2) again as I hadn't seen the episodes for a while and I enjoyed listening to the commentaries -there seemed to be one for every episode for series 1 (and 2).

I have seen the specials and series 3 more recently but still enjoyed another viewing and seeing the "red button" extra scenes (for episodes 1- 4 of series 3) and the interviews with actors / writers / and political commentators and politicians (for episodes 5-8 of series 3). I found myself noticing things that I hadn't spotted the first or even second time around so it was certainly worth a repeat viewing.

It is particularly funny seeing the programmes so close to the election and as real life seems to be perilously close to mirroring the over the top antics in the series.

I just wish there were more episodes to watch and I hope we will be getting a series 4 in due course. Can't wait.

How To Never Look Fat Again: Over 1000 Ways to Dress Thinner - Without Dieting
How To Never Look Fat Again: Over 1000 Ways to Dress Thinner - Without Dieting
by Charla Krupp

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of good advice and well worth a read, 19 April 2010
This is a great book for working out what to wear to look as slim as you can. I knew some of the top tips already either from other books I have read or from working out for myself what made me look fatter. However this book is the most comprehensive I have seen on this subject - there is a lot covered but you can speed read by looking at the "10 things" and the "vows" pages in each section.

I read some of the American readers' reviews on Amazon.com before buying the book and some of those reviewers complained that some of the photographs were of celebrities who did not really seem to have the problems highlighted in the book. I can see their point but there are also some useful photos of what works well or doesn't.

Some of the suggested products listed are for brands I am not familiar with so I am not sure if they are available in the UK or not but that is only a minor gripe. Charla is also a big fan of shapewear which I have had mixed success with, but there is so much in this book that you are bound to find some useful advice even if you don't follow all her advice to the letter.

I have lost quite a bit of weight over the past year but I can still look chunky in the wrong clothes so I want to replace my old clothes with some that really suit me and show off that I am a bit slimmer. This book is helping me to work out what to go for and what to not even bother trying on!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2013 9:48 PM GMT

Feel Fab at 50
Feel Fab at 50
by Sue Donnelly
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Treats the reader as an individual, 11 April 2010
This review is from: Feel Fab at 50 (Paperback)
I am a few years away from 50 but sometimes find it difficult to know what to wear - don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb but don't want to look too staid either. I have managed to lose some weight over the last year and wanted to replace items in my wardrobe carefully, only with things that really suit me in shape as well as colour. I had my colours "done" a while ago so I have an idea about the right colours but I have been confused by advice in books about the right shapes to wear.

I bought this book having read the reviews from other readers. When the book first arrived I was a bit disappointed as there are no pictures / photographs inside (yes, I did use the look inside feature on line but must have forgotten there were no pics!).

However I read the book anyway - and I have found it really useful. I like the fact that Sue does not stick too rigidly to mandates about what you must wear but acknowledges that you are an individual so some styles might suit your shape but not your personality or liefstyle.

I felt that this book explained proportion much better than other books (yes, ones with photos / pictures in them!)and covered how this affects what suits you.

I think I will get one of the colour me beautiful books to complement this one but this is a great book and well worth reading and then acting on the advice inside.

Dara O Briain Talks Funny - Live in London [DVD]
Dara O Briain Talks Funny - Live in London [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dara O'Briain
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 3.54

4.0 out of 5 stars a lot of laughs for the money, 4 Jan 2009
This is a great comedy dvd - lots of material in the main show and then some good extras. I enjoyed the Dublin gig extra and the commentary with David Mitchell was a welcome bonus too.

A "must buy".