Profile for M. K. Winston > Reviews

Content by M. K. Winston

M. K. Winston (Midlands, U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2
Back Together Again (Remastered 2003)
Back Together Again (Remastered 2003)
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 1 July 2014
A great, unusual and intelligent take on 70's disco.
Give yourself a treat. It's so cheap, even if you hate it, you've lost very little.
You can always blame me!

The Counsellor [DVD]
The Counsellor [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful!, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Counsellor [DVD] (DVD)
I can't remember seeing a film as bad as this and I've seen many.

This was like watching two men sharing one parachute- it's that grim!

Snakecharmers In Texas (Picador Books)
Snakecharmers In Texas (Picador Books)
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Riddled with misprints, 13 Jun 2014
This is an excellent book in print, but the Kindle edition is crying out for a professional transcription. There are long passages which are barely legible, where all sense of narrative is tripped up by glaring errors. It ruins an otherwise hugely enjoyable book.
HOW DO I GET A REFUND?

Airfix A50141 Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Supermarine Spitfire MkVb 1:24 Scale Plastic Model Gift Set
Price: 29.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great product, lousy packaging., 26 Mar 2014
I purchased this for my nephew's birthday. I was in a hurry as usual and used Amazon Prime to order it. When it arrived ( promptly ) I saw that the box had been opened and the instructions and decals had been shoved roughly back into the box, damaging them. Was it a returned item? This excellent product was only fit for the bin and I had to rush out and buy an alternative gift for him. This is a real pity as the model itself is a classic and I highly recommend it. I wouldn't advise you to buy it from Amazon though. No point in returning it. That ship had sailed, I'm afraid. I might try one more time at some point just to restore my faith but I'll think long and hard before I do.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2014 7:46 PM BST

No World Order (2CD Expanded Edition)
No World Order (2CD Expanded Edition)
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Agreement, 13 Jan 2012
Just a quick write up to say how much I agree with Chris's review. The remastering is excellent and the bonus tracks are worth the price alone.

(T)oddly enough, I hated this album when it came out in '93 and it's taken all that time for it to grow on me* - not an uncommon phenomenon with Todd Rundgren albums my spies tell me! This excellent reissue has awoken a genuine affection for the more radical side of Todd Rundgren's musical directions and I feel highly rewarded for such a tiny monetary outlay (just like I do with Re-Production, something I vowed never to buy but did and now love most of it!)

One of the few perks of being a music completist is rediscovering what you've missed and somehow it makes that rediscovery all the more rewarding and sweet. It's 7 - what have you got to lose?

Next stop The Individualist!!!

Regards,

Mike, Marion and Theo.**

*My wife loved it the first time she heard it - smart girl!

**My son who Todd name checked on his 9th birthday onstage during the Liars tour in Birmingham U.K. - thanks and a tip of the hat Todd - he's never forgotten.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2012 9:40 PM GMT

Cable Mountain 2m Gold Plated Fibre Optic TOSlink Optical Cable with Gold Effect Casing
Price: 5.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great & cheap!, 4 Sep 2009
Don't hesitate - a great product at a bargain basement price. Excellnet service from Cable Mountain too.

Party Of Two
Party Of Two
Price: 10.08

5.0 out of 5 stars A little lost gem., 4 Sep 2009
This review is from: Party Of Two (Audio CD)
Originally a 12'' E.P., this little gem was produced by Todd Rundgren and features his peerless power pop players from the Utopia line-up at the top of their game. This is infectious enough to make Thatcher dance (God forbid - however, it could be played at her funeral so we can all dance on her grave)!

Clarity
Clarity
by Jonathan Meade
Price: 7.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, 28 April 2009
This review is from: Clarity (Paperback)
Fans of Jonathan Meades beware. This book, by Jonathan MEADE is thrown up when you search the Amazon site. I don't know if it is a good or bad book,so in fairness to the author, I've given it five stars. (I had to - I couldn't post this otherwise). I merely wish to draw peoples' attention to the fact.
Thanks.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2009 12:12 AM BST

Full Metal Jacket Diary
Full Metal Jacket Diary
by Matthew Modine

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting, if thin, read., 3 Sep 2008
Some interesting photographs (Modine is an accomplished photographer), but very little in the way of new information about the seemingly endless production schedule of the film.

Well worth having, though, as it is a beautifully produced book.

Ever Popular Tortured Artist E
Ever Popular Tortured Artist E
Price: 47.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album., 3 Sep 2008
Although this was considered to be a throwaway album by many when originally released, it contains some sublime writing and production (although very much of its time, production wise) which will come as no surprise to his legion of fans. Influenza, Don't Hurt Yourself, Bang The Drum All Day and Chant are prime examples of the seemingly bottomless well of his imagination.

There are hacks and there are genuinely musical performers out there. Guess which category Todd Rundgren is in! He may put some lemons on his albums but don't deprive yourself of the pleasure of experiencing the standout songs on this or any other of his albums. I couldn't live without some of the songs this man has produced over the years - it's a genuine puzzle as to why he is consistently overlooked: he's got talent to burn!

Page: 1 | 2