Profile for M Gemmill-Toyama > Reviews

Content by M Gemmill-Toyama

M Gemmill-Toyama ""Author in the making""

High Impact Presentations: The most effective way to communicate with virtually any audience anywhere
by Jackie Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but better books exist, 6 Oct. 2008
I am an avid reader of presentation books (and an avid presenter), and although I found some useful gems of information in this book, other books on the market are more useful and filled with more detail (e.g. Knock Out Presentations, Beyond Bullet Points).

In my view the greatest contribution of this book is the focus on giving a presentation as you would a conversation. This might seem obvious to some, but most presenters in my field look like robots or people in a far-off distant land. Thinking in terms of a conversation rather than a presentation changes how someone approaches the presentation and how they interact with the audience during the presentation.

The organisation of the book was not clear to me - I felt as though the author jumped around from one topic to another without a clear structure. I also found the self-promotion of Kingstree a bit old after a while - I didn't read this book to learn that Kingstree "was the best"; I read it to improve my presentation skills.

Overall, I would recommend this book if you know you are a relatively wooden presenter and would like to appear more natural. Otherwise, if you have other skills you would like to improve, I would suggest picking up another presentation book.

Coping with Difficult People
Coping with Difficult People
by Robert Bramson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless book for dealing with difficult people, 1 Oct. 2008
The world may be changing rapidly, but people still have not learned how to communicate and relate better to others. Though the copy I have was published in 1981, the gems of advice in the book are still invaluable today.

One of the most helpful aspects of the book is that the author delves into why people are difficult. I think this is important because if I can see the other person's point of view, I can tailor my language (and body language) appropriately to indicate that I understood that point of view. This may sound funny, but providing the WHY stopped me from thinking, "they are difficult just to be difficult!"

Overall, the book was well-written and organised in a clear and concise manner. After having applied his advice a couple of times recently, I highly recommend this book!

Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics 3/e
Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics 3/e
by Alpha C. Chiang

5.0 out of 5 stars great to refresh my memory, 30 Sept. 2008
I purchased this book while I was doing the literature review for my PhD; it had been a few years since I had taken a calculus class, and I was coming across quite a few mathematical models in my review. This book was invaluable in refreshing my memory about calculus. The book was written very clearly and in a logical manner.

The Jelly Effect: How to Make Your Communication Stick
The Jelly Effect: How to Make Your Communication Stick
by Andy Bounds

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a beginner like me, 30 Aug. 2008
I read some of the reviews blasting this book, and I felt I needed to counter them. Whether you will like this book or not seems to depend on your level of experience with selling yourself.

Some of the reviewers have indicated that the book is basic, but I would argue that the book is not. As someone who works in academia but works as a project-based consultant sometimes, I had never thought much about how I was networking. The chapter on networking was extremely useful, and I have seen plenty of people not putting his advice into practice.

The presentation section is not that relevant to "knowledge" presentations (of information that are not selling), but this book is more pitched towards those who sell anyway.

I agree that the book could have been written more succinctly, but there were still many gems of wisdom for a beginner like me.

Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language
Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro Language
by Art Carpenter

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for learning macros, 29 Aug. 2008
I have always struggled a little to get my head around macros, and this book was great for someone like me. I liked how he started by explaining macros, pointing out extremely useful syntax tips like double quotes versus single quotes (as those who work with programs like SAS and STATA know, syntax can sometimes be the bane of our existence).

Importantly, if you struggle with macros, read the book from the beginning - he gradually builds the use of macros from there.

PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS
PROC SQL: Beyond the Basics Using SAS
by Kirk Paul Lafler

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to using SQL, 29 Aug. 2008
I already knew some SQL, so I purchased this book for more of a reference on specific tasks. I didn't actually read through the book; instead I choose specific commands that I needed to use for a project I was doing. It was very easy to find the information I needed, and the book was written clearly.

However, as the title suggests, this book is better for those with some understanding of SQL. If you are new to SQL, I would suggest SAMS Teach Yourself SQL in 10 minutes as a companion to this book.

SAS Programming by Example
SAS Programming by Example
by Ron Cody

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, great examples, 29 Aug. 2008
I needed a quick refresher book on SAS for a major project, and this book did the trick. I only wish I had discovered the book when I was learning SAS because of the clear explanations and plethora of examples. The Little Book of SAS is also good, but I found this one more useful.

Plug Your Book: Online Book Marketing for Authors, Book Publicity through Social Networking
by Steve Weber

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, it's like a book-selling bible, 29 Aug. 2008
When I first starting reading this book, I thought I would make a few notes. That proved impossible - the book is packed to the brim with tips! Steve's recommendation of reading the book once through was spot on; after that, I started picking and choosing advice from different sections.

One advantage of this book is the fact that he doesn't go into too much detail - I didn't want the "how to become an expert" - I just wanted to know what was out there and the most important information I needed for implementing the recommendations. He achieves the perfect balance of detail in this regard.