Profile for james > Reviews

james

World War Z
World War Z

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting format that goes nowhere, 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
To begin with I feel this could have been a 3 or 4 star book. The format is definitely an interesting way to approach a zombie apocalypse and some of the individual stories could be a novel in their own right. In particular I liked the blind Japanese man surviving on his own in the wilderness, and the downed female pilot who had to make her way to safety. However I feel that the format does not go into enough detail regarding the initial zombie attacks. I would have liked more first person accounts of the initial stages of the war. For example a doomed air flight is mentioned in passing, why wasn't this story told? Also towards the end of the book, the format does wear a little thin as you meet countless numbers of characters who are not fleshed out which means there is no triumph in the victory over "Zeke".

Overall it was an interesting read but unfortunately nothing more than that. I would recommend it to fans of zombies or interesting ways to tell a story.

20th Century Ghosts
20th Century Ghosts
by Joe Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent variety of different stories, well written and well worth a read, 3 Dec. 2012
This review is from: 20th Century Ghosts (Paperback)
I bought this book expecting it to be more horror oriented, however the stories here cover a far broader spectrum from coming of age drama to ghost stories. I was not left disappointed, I felt that each story was worth a read and there was no real filler. My favourite of the stories was "Voluntary Committal", the last in the book and probably the longest.

Overall, I am happy that I read this book and will be seeking out more of Joe Hill's work in the future. Anyone looking for a collection of well written stories covering a variety of themes would not go wrong in choosing this book.