Profile for David Peers > Reviews

Content by David Peers

David Peers (Dorset, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
How to Read a Novelist: Conversations with Writers
How to Read a Novelist: Conversations with Writers
by John Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're a writer then you must read this book, 29 Jan. 2014
And get all the tips from the top authors.

But. Out of the 70 or so authors i've only heard of three and only read two of them! Can't be everywhere, I suppose...

Seagate STCA3000200 3TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Seagate STCA3000200 3TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 29 Jan. 2014
The problem with this drive is the case it comes in. It splits into two parts. the base handles the power and the data to the drive, the upper holds the drive.

If it's all clicked together then it will drop out - not good when you're shifting data. But, if you take it out of the case and just sit the drive on the base then it works fine. But what idiot would want to do that?

Unpredictable and unreliable so try western digital.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 5:15 PM GMT

Donald and the Secret Scroll
Donald and the Secret Scroll
by Caroline Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect story for bedtime, 14 Jun. 2013
I bought this book for my eight year old niece and she loved it. I used it as a "I'm reading to you and it's time for bed" story and she read it too. You can read the lot in one go or find places to stop and keep it for tomorrow night. Great book.

From what I saw, it was a real page turner - she couldn't put it down, she read it again and again. It's an exciting and believable story - a perfectly innocent adventure for that age group. The only odd thing is that I can't find more books by this writer. There should be - can you write some more please?

Wraith: (Book 1)
Wraith: (Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars The only reason it's not 5 stars..., 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Wraith: (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
... Is because i'm 47.

Wraith is soft horror for teenagers. That's what they're into right now and 'Wraith' does it rather well. Kids these days seem to be into vampires, werewolves, teenage angst and stuff and Wraith's in the same genre.

It's American, teenage, school, love, jealousy, angst, arty, believable, dead people, a bit adult, deals with a few taboo subjects and takes you to a place that you wouldn't want to visit yourself. And that makes it a good read. If you're 16 and never seen pain then you're in for a shock because of where it takes you. It's a page turner alright and would suit any reader ideally from say, 12 to 17 but having said that, i'm 47 and I enjoyed it.

If you're stuck for a birthday present then Wraith would be ideal.

Oh - I got it on a free promo for my kindle and don't know the author. Nothin' in it for me. Just being honest.

Zen: Take it Easy
Zen: Take it Easy
by Osho

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Zen, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Zen: Take it Easy (Paperback)
I'm not a follower of Osho and came across him by accident. I don't think Osho is even Buddhist or Hindu but he seems to have his own unique understanding of Zen and he's bang on. His way of getting Zen across is incredible. He just explains it so simply and he uses a lot of stories which suits me down to the ground.

I do a lot of Zen. I live a Zen based, yogic lifestyle and I see Zen everywhere. I come from a typical western business background and even my book has reflections of Osho and Zen inside it. When you've read this, you might want to read my book too. It's here on Amazon and you'll find it at Selling to the British

When you buy Take it Easy (and you really, really should), it will be that one which you are desperate to lend out to your friends because you just know the answer they are looking for is within it's pages. But you won't, you'll keep it for yourself. A brilliant read from a chap I wish i'd met.

The New Oxford Guide to Writing
The New Oxford Guide to Writing
by Thomas S. Kane

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant -no writer should be without., 18 Mar. 2013
I went to a grammar school and they didn't teach me this stuff.

If you write for a living then you really should have a copy of this book. It doesn't matter if you write reports, poetry, adverts, books - get a copy. I can guarantee that there is so much about writing that you don't know and you will find such an education in these pages.

I've been writing for years and my latest 'big work' [...] is a far better finished product because of Thomas Kane.

Bad points? I did find it a little dry - it maybe the typeface - and it is a little technical but you can dip in and out of it or you can set to and read from cover to cover. It's not funny in any way - it is a book that teaches how to write.

Get a copy. The most amazing thing is how few reviews it has. It should be a best seller.

Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate and Outnegotiate your Competition: Out Sell, Out Manage and Out Negotiate Your Competition
by Harvey Mackay

4.0 out of 5 stars The second sales book I ever read, 18 Mar. 2013
Actually, I owe a lot to Harvey Mackay. I'd say his other book - beware the naked man... - is a better sales book but really, they deal with different things. Over 20 years ago I found the naked man, which led to this one.

I like Harvey because he sets out the basics. There is little point in reading up on 'advanced selling techniques' if you can't be bothered to comb your hair before meeting a customer. Harvey tell it how it is but this book is something like 20 years old now so it's becoming just a little dated. Ver good, but a little dated.

It had a huge influence upon my life. It made me think and created me more as on individual in my world. It took me along a very interesting path to the point that I've written my own book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Selling-British-customer-increase-ebook/dp/B00A6R1P2O/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1363603665&sr=8-1 - and if you read the two, you'll see the similarities. My book is much like Harvey's but dare I say "a new and updated version"? Still worthy of a read though.
Thanks Harvey.

Kraakin
Kraakin

5.0 out of 5 stars As heard on the Craig Charles Funk and soul show, 12 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Kraakin (MP3 Download)
What a kicking track! Grooving along and I think they're from Greece. Good stuff and worthy of any MP3 player.

The Comic Toolbox: How to Be Funny Even If You're Not
The Comic Toolbox: How to Be Funny Even If You're Not
by John Vorhaus

5.0 out of 5 stars Just stunning - an invaluable book, 7 Mar. 2013
This book should be on every writers book shelf. And you should read it constantly. Galton and Simpson territory.

If you want to inject humour into your writing then you need this book. In the same way that you should attend writing classes/groups, you need this book. I spent many years writing in the dark (even after courses at Cambridge University!) writing the long way 'round, and The Comic Toolbox fixed me up. I saw the light. The Comic Toolbox gives a structure to your humourous writing and will allow you to produce better results, faster. Simple as that.

My latest book is 44 thousand words plus a bit in length and yes, it's a better book because of The Comic Toolbox. Oh, you can buy Selling to the British here, on Amazon. And when you read it, you will see the influence. Just follow me through to my author page. I'll see you there.

If you write for money - and I can't think of a better reason - then this book is a must.

So. Who is our hero? Our hero is...

Suckled by Jake
Suckled by Jake

4.0 out of 5 stars From a fellow author - Yeay!, 1 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Suckled by Jake (Kindle Edition)
A bit pervy and in a nice way. 'Suckled' covers a subject that is slightly taboo and it does it very well. You'll read it from start to finish in one go and it should get you there. Good for men and women. Alisa, you're good...

A well written, short piece of erotica that will get you horny. And isn't that the point?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3