Profile for Emmamab > Reviews

Emmamab

Redy Highlander Womens Bike - Green
Redy Highlander Womens Bike - Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Green, 14 April 2011
I bought this bike assuming it would be a dark shade of green but it is in fact lime green which was quite a shock when I opened the box. The colour is great though. I tried to put it together myself but soon realised that, although I figured out how to put all the pieces together, I didn't have enough trust in my bike building skills to actually cycle around in it in London traffic. I took the bike to my local bike shop who charged me £30 pounds to give it a check up. I've had it now for 2 weeks and in those two weeks, the rear wheel nut fell off and the chain fell off (which is not great as that means you have no brakes at all...). This bike is a replacement for my 10 year old dutch bike wchih was fatally damaged in a theft attempt so the "green devil" has had a tough time living up to these expectations. Nonetheless, I think it's good value for moeny and incredibly fun to ride. The colour is so fun and you can always find your bike, no matter how dark. I would definately buy it again.

The Rough Guide to Crete (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Crete (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Geoff Garvey

2.0 out of 5 stars A hiker's guide to Crete, 1 Sept. 2010
I purchased this Rough Guide Crete edition as I saw that it had a good rating from other people and because I have generally had quite good experiences with Rough Guide's for other cities in the past. However, I found Rough Guide to Crete quite biased and on the whole, rather useless. Useless that is, unless you were interested in walking or hiking your way around the island. Unfortunately I was not interested in hiking and as such found a myself with a book filled with useless pages on hiking.
The attractions that did interest me, such as the beautiful beaches, were portrayed in such negative light. Tips were given, for example, to visit the beach at Falasarna but to avoid the onslaught of tourists by going a further way down the beach where one would find a quieter spot which was better even though it had a tar and rubbish problem!! With regards to restaurant recommendations, the bias continued. In the old town of Hania, the one of the author's recommendations was a German sausage restaurant! The bst restaurant in Hania, Tamam, was mantioned but not highlighted for reasons unknown to me. I almost missed this gem of Hania due to the guide.

All in all, I would not recommend it until it has been thoroughly revised and shifts its focus from a hiker's to a holiday makers perspective.