Profile for Mr. Peter Gage > Reviews

Content by Mr. Peter Gage

Mr. Peter Gage "Pete Gage" (Somerset, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Grass Roots by Hill, Andrew (2008) Audio CD
Grass Roots by Hill, Andrew (2008) Audio CD
Offered by Sam Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Why so price-y, 29 May 2014
I LOVE Andrew Hill's music. Shame that some money-grabbing people want to make money out this fine album. I wonder if Andrew Hill's family will see any of the profits, if indeed anyone is fool enough to pay such a high price.

Gettin' It Together
Gettin' It Together

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed, 12 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Gettin' It Together (Audio CD)
This is a polished album, and the playing is good. But for me it lacks that earthy soulfulness that was present in early Freddie Hubbard sessions for Blue Note. Can't get any further than Backlash with Freddie I'm afraid. Much of his best work (after early Blue Note sessions was as a distinguished sideman, especially with Eric Dolphy and Oliver Nelson. And the V.S.O.P. albums were good.

celtic folkweave LP
celtic folkweave LP

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: celtic folkweave LP (Vinyl)
This is one of the most beautiful and soulful of the post-sixties folk albums that came out of Ireland. The songs "The Banks of Claudy", and "The Heathery Hills of Yarrow" are the most sensitive renditions I have ever heard. The late and truly great Michael O'Dhomhnaill sings like a true master, with the restraint and gentleness that these songs demand. It is a travesty that this album has not been issed on CD by Polydor.

Complete Esp-Disk Recordings
Complete Esp-Disk Recordings

5.0 out of 5 stars All my favourite Ayler discs from the 60's, 24 Nov. 2013
I bought this box in Fopp some 7 or 8 years ago for about £20. All my favourite Ayler records from the 60's. How could I pass this by?

Bra Louis - Bra Tabs/Spirits Rejoice
Bra Louis - Bra Tabs/Spirits Rejoice

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirits Rejoice, 9 Mar. 2013
Finally I have found and purchased, once again, this uplifting masterpiece "Spirits Rejoice", this time on CD. I have been looking for it for years and years, having foolishly lost my vinyl LP back in those late 70's hazy days! It sounds even better than I remember. The whole album is a wonderful expression of joy and positivity from the heart and soul of one of my favourite musicians. The Blue Notes were SO significant in the story of jazz music, and each member of that band was a force to be reckoned with in there own right. Moholo was no exception. Spirits Rejoice is his greatest work I believe. The drumming and the leadership are awe-inspiring. Louis Moholo is in command of every moment. Evan Parker and Keith Tippett are shining!!. The main feature for me is the hymn-like Amsxesha Osizi, a piece that sums up the internal pain and ultimate triumph of man's courage through times of sorrow. It is heart-rending stuff. Then there are the repetitive and joyful oh-so-South African rhythms of "You ain't gonna know me 'cos you think you know me", a vehicle for Radu Malfatti's soulful and inventive trombone playing. This is must for any lovers of South African jazz.
The other CD in this wonderful 2-CD set is the 2004 recording "Bra Louis - Bra Tebs" which also features the great improvisor-vocalist Francine Luce. The instrumentation is clearly and beautifully recorded, and the overall effect is at once a memorable, melodic, swinging, wild and very creative album.
I cannot recommend this double CD enough! You will not be disappointed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 3:32 PM GMT

Woman In A Dressing Gown [DVD] [1957]
Woman In A Dressing Gown [DVD] [1957]
Dvd ~ Yvonne Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wiltshire Close, 7 Aug. 2012
This is a great film. Not only is it a great film, but it was shot at Wiltshire Close, Draycott Avenue, Chelsea. Wiltshire Close is the block of council flats portrayed here under the name "Nightingale House". Wiltshire Close is the place that I grew up in from 1949 until 1967. I remember the film crew being there and the excitement and my childhood annoyance at the play area being taken over by huts and tables and catering etc. There are some great shots of my home and playground.
But the film is a classic of British cinema. It is a fore-runner to the "kitchen sink" dramas of a year or two later (sat night Sunday morning, Sporting Life, L-shaped room etc.

The Old Magic
The Old Magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Craftsman at work, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Old Magic (Audio CD)
This is Nick Lowe revealing who he is, putting into straightforward words and music what so many of us experience in life. And he hits the nail right on the head every time for me. Honest simple, beautifully crafted songs, this is what I listen to Nick Lowe for. As always, the recorded sound is real and uncluttered, and the musicianship is brilliant. Not only that Nick puts his songs over beautifully with his dry, resigned sense of conviction. Knowing what he's produced in the distant past, including 2 of the best Dr Feelgood albums in my opinion ("Case of the shakes" & "Be seeing you") and the stuff he turned out with Rockpile, and knowing what a "full" life he has led, I'm just grateful that he made it to this point in time to give us these wonderful mellow reflections on what it's like to be a bloke in your sixties (like me!!)

No Room For Squares
No Room For Squares

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful stuff!!, 17 Aug. 2011
This review is from: No Room For Squares (Audio CD)
This is a stunningly beautiful album. The first 5 tracks, with Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, John Ore and Philly Joe, show what an outstanding leader Hank Mobley was, and the recording is superlative. I love this stuff, Hank and Lee Morgan were in a class of their own together.

The Best Of The Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker
The Best Of The Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing, 20 April 2011
When I was 14, in 1960, all I knew of so-called "Modern Jazz" was an MJQ EP (No Sun in Venice) and a Dave Brubeck EP owned by my mate's uncle. At that time, my mum let me have a party. It was a tame affair. Some Chelsea blokes turned up, friends of one of the few girls I knew. They were dressed in baggy trousers with turn-ups(!), waisted tweed jackets with one vent at the back, check shirts, and roll collar tops. They had their hair sort of high, and short at the front. They looked so different, so "cool", and they acted "cool", standing in a sort tribal pose, their hands behind their backs. They were so unlike the kids I knew at the Park Walk Youth Club down the World's End. And you certainly wouldn't "mess" with them. I was impressed, very(!), and some-one whispered to me that they were "modernists". Well, whatever they were, they pre-dated the the "Mod" cult, and I wanted to be one of them.
But these blokes, they brought some strange records to the party: Thelonious Monk (what a name to conjure with!) on Riverside, and the Gerry Mulligan Quartet on the Argo label (that maroon coloured 12' LP that included Chet Baker in the band). I was hooked there and then (!!) to both Mulligan and Monk, and many others to follow, of course. But the Mulligan stuff at that party consisted of a load of beautiful gems of recordings by that Mulligan/Baker Quartet. (So too did were the recordings of the subsequent Mulligan/Brookmayer Quartet, by the way, that I saw in concert at the Royal Festival Hall a year or 2 later.)
And all these gems have remained with me like a sacred text. They ARE a sacred text! (Along with many others along the way of course.) They are exquisite pieces, and the interplay between Mulligan and Baker is "divinity" itself. (Ornette Coleman in 1959, 60, and 61, was to this kind of line-up in another direction a little later, but that's another wonderful spiritual experience!!)
One of those "modernists" I still see today; he married that girl I knew at the party. But the music was not so deeply important to him. He dropped it and moved into some other realm. (How?) But for me, this music was to shape my life and what I was to become. It is a part of me, yes. But it is not just a part of MY small existence. It's a great musical experience just to be able hear to this stuff.
I am 65 now, and I realise what a profound effect this music had upon me. And I still get the same thrill at hearing that fresh sound, that simplicity and utter coolness of these early Mulligan Quartets. Beautiful!!

Tough Talk
Tough Talk

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS available., 25 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Tough Talk (Audio CD)
This album is certainly available, despite Amazon saying it's currently unavailable!! It was produced in Finland in 2009, and features ex Dr Feelgood frontman Pete Gage (Lee Brilleaux's successor) in his 3rd album under his name leading the proceedings from the piano. 11 songs written by Pete plus 3 covers including the classic Leroy Carr Midnight Hour Blues, it's a lively album with some classy guest appearances by Gypie Mayo (Wilko Johnson's worthy replacement in Dr Feelgood) on 6 of the songs. The flavour is primarily boogie and blues, a touch of New Orleans, and even a little country, courtesy of Gypie Mayo. There's even a sprinkling of rock'n'roll for good measure.

Page: 1 | 2