Profile for T. White > Reviews

Euronetwork VGA splitter: 1x HD15 M to 2x HD15 F, 0.2m
Euronetwork VGA splitter: 1x HD15 M to 2x HD15 F, 0.2m
Offered by memorycapital

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked at first..., 7 Jun. 2014
The splitter worked at first when I wanted to use the same monitor for my Linux and Windows computers, but when I accidentally pushed the resolution too high, my computer couldn't recognise the monitor. Not too upset though considering the price.

JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
JavaScript & jQuery: The Missing Manual
by David Sawyer McFarland

4.0 out of 5 stars More JQuery than Javascript, 7 Jun. 2014
In a nutshell, this book plows through the Javascript fundamentals but focuses mostly on JQuery, especially in the practical examples. I found it to be a little dry in parts, but overall would probably be useful to the aspiring Web Designer/ Developer who just wants to enhance their html/css. If you want a book that acts as a launching platform into application development or node, this is not the book for you.

Empire
Empire
by Jon Tonks

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning photographs, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Empire (Hardcover)
I was weary of buying this book when I'd read that Martin Parr had taken an interest in this project. Unlike Parr's work however, Tonks' photographs are less manipulative, and paint a much more flattering image of the British Empire than one might expect. Ultimately, the experience I have when viewing the photographs in this book is a positive one. The book is bound and printed to the highest standard and is a book I highly cherish.

The Social Network (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
The Social Network (2-Disc Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jesse Eisenberg
Offered by SKYETORI

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent movie although highly specualative, 10 May 2014
I was overjoyed to see that I could enjoy Jeff Cronenworth's tasty visuals in full HD. The plot is exciting, although it's important to remember that 80% of it is fictional - the court scenes, the conversations between Mark, Eduardo etc. At £3.80, it's a great deal.

Learning Web App Development
Learning Web App Development
by Semmy Purewal

3.0 out of 5 stars A foundation in the technical, not creative, 10 May 2014
I was hoping to find a book that takes one through the process of designing and building a web application. Instead, this book tries to give readers a very quick grounding in the technical skills required to build one. It's much shorter than I imagined it would be, and much of the information is, shall we say, 'selective'. That's to say, it gives you a basic idea or concept without going into too much detail. You might argue then, that this book is tailored towards beginners in web development and assumes you have no prior knowledge.
The book however does redeem itself in the code examples, which other books tend to neglect, and which can all be found online if you can't be bothered to type out the HTML/CSS. Semmy's voice and point of view also make the book more engaging - it's not just a reference book.
In a nutshell: If you're new to web development, this is probably a safe bet. As Semmy says, it won't provide you with everything you need to build a web application, but it will point you in the right direction and may inspire some people.
As a footnote, I am still yet to find a book that does take one through the detailed steps of building a web application. I've had to resort to internet tutorials, which also tend to focus on the technical side of things.

Yongnuo YN RF-603 C3 Wireless Flash Trigger Shutter Release Remote Control For Canon C3 for 1D 5D II 7D 50D 40D 30D 20D High Quality
Offered by Zele.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yongnuo RF603 - Great Vale Flash Triggers, 2 Aug. 2013
Bought a set of these for my 550D and Yongnuo YN560II flash. Whacked in the AAAs and was off the mark in a few minutes. They look reasonably well built (regardless of price). However, there is an issue (as others have pointed out) - because of the way the YN560II flash is shaped, you can't turn the trigger on and off with the flash mounted.
Otherwise a great purchase. Very excited to start working my way through the Strobist's Lighting 101.

America
America
by Zoe Strauss

3.0 out of 5 stars Zoe Strauss - America: Mediocre, 4 May 2012
This review is from: America (Hardcover)
I bought this because I was interested in the layout and ordering of the photographs (based on the picture thumbnails).
While some of the pictures are good, they on the whole seem pretty mediocre e.g. the 'Freeze block wall' is (surprisingly) a picture of a wall... boring. Portraits are definitely her strong-point however, and the signage is an interesting focus.
It looks like Strauss shot on film, with digital scans and printing, but the quality of the prints is poor, some images lack detail (almost as if pixelated) - diagonal lines can be jagged etc. What's more, the quality of paper is pretty crap too! I'd perhaps underestimated what a big difference it makes to the look and feel of the book. Stephen Shore's 'Uncommon Places' uses much thicker paper - how different it feels to the thin, lustre finish this book has.
On a final negative note, my book arrived with scratches to the image wrapped cover and 'frayed' corners (probably due to shipping) - a cellophane wrapper would be very much appreciated!
All in all, I gave this book 3 stars because, while some pictures are effective in Strauss' portrayal of America, I felt that the quality of production (on AMMO books' part) is poor.

American Surfaces
American Surfaces
by Glenn Howard

3.0 out of 5 stars American Surfaces by Stephen Shore, 18 April 2012
This review is from: American Surfaces (Paperback)
I bought this book to sit alongside Eggleston's Guide and The Americans, but American Surfaces lacks the power those books share. This is, in part, down to the fact that there are simply too many photographs, and therefore less importance is attached to each one. I would have been more impressed if the book had say, 100 large, full page prints - more like American Power by Mitch Epstein, but I can understand that Shore wanted to show a journey so lots of images could be justifiable.
This book is of course no Uncommon Places so if you're expecting the maturity that his later work delivers then you might be disappointed - pictures of meals and empty beds often seem a little pretentious.
Other than these concerns with the content I can't be disappointed by the quality of the book which has a reasonable binding and is well-printed, although it's thickness means that sometimes it can be hard to open the book up completely to see the whole photograph. I'm going to keep the book as I think it's interesting to see Shore's development and it's a nice accompaniment to Uncommon Places, and hey at £12 or whatever it was, you can't argue!

Lenoge® Replacement Laptop Battery for Dell Vostro 1310 1320 1510 2510; fits: 312-0724 312-0859 451-10586 451-10655 N950C T114C U661H
Offered by ukoutlet

2.0 out of 5 stars Li-ion,11.10V,4800mA... Laptop Battery for Dell Vostro 1310, 1320, 1510, 1520, 2510, 8 Jan. 2012
Battery sold by PC247. Delivery took longer than usual (about 7 days). Battery was compatible but produced an error LED on my Dell, then died in a couple of hours. I'm pretty much scr*wed now since all my work notes are on my laptop hard-drive and I have to wait for another battery (from another seller) to back them up. Very disappointed.

The Road Ahead
The Road Ahead
by Bill Gates

4.0 out of 5 stars Bill Gates - The Road Ahead, 3 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Road Ahead (Hardcover)
I ordered this book from an Amazon seller for £1.29 used with free delivery. I have to say. The book came within a few days and was in good condition.
So Gates' 1995 'predictions' at the moment seem pretty accurate. I'm only a chapter in and he's already mentioned applications' which will act as tools to help us in our everyday lives. An example of this could be Iphone of Blackberry apps.
But I really like the balance between biographical elements and the message he is trying to convey. Certainly 'the information highway' he describes is much like today's internet. Although some ideas seem strange, others are perfectly accurate.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the future of technology. As other sellers have said, if you're looking for a biography, you won't get it, but something so much more inspiring and uplifting. It feels great to be reading the words (and thoughts) of the second richest man alive and I defy all people to read this, because, as Bill says, the future of technology, and technological advances will affect all of us.