Profile for C. CUNLIFFE > Reviews

Content by C. CUNLIFFE

C. CUNLIFFE "Aged Heptaphile" (North Tawton, Devon, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Mini-lathe (Workshop Practice)
The Mini-lathe (Workshop Practice)
by David Fenner

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful primer, 27 May 2010
I hadn't any workshop experience with turning and wanted to be able to make things for my Austin Seven, so I bought a Mini-lathe. Then I found I had no-one to turn to for advice, so I bought this book. So far I can't fault it - it makes you aware that lathes are potentially dangerous, tells you how to clean the glop off the lathe when you unpack it, explains the different tool shapes and their use, and gives a short course in making things. The last is not necessarily immediately useful, but careful study of it will help you find possible ways to adapt the advice to the sort of work you want to do. A very, very useful little book indeed!

Solar Powered Entrance Security Light
Solar Powered Entrance Security Light
Offered by Trendi

5.0 out of 5 stars A good efficient light, 27 May 2010
This light was working after one day of charging in indirect light. It gives good light in my back yard so that I can find the keyhole for my workshop if I need to go in after dark, and can't be accidentally switched on and left overnight. It even works for my two cats who seem to love switching it on as often as possible! My only criticism might be the low capacity of the Ni-Mh batteries supplied with it, but since it is only on for a minute at a time this shouldn't really be a problem. It will be interesting to see how well it works in winter - sub-zero temperatures aren't usually good news for batteries, nor short day length for solar energy, but then I don't go out to the workshop much in that sort of weather!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2012 1:22 PM BST

Moanin'
Moanin'

5.0 out of 5 stars Moani' remastered, 6 April 2010
This review is from: Moanin' (Audio CD)
No home should be without a copy of Art Blakey's Jazz classic disc 'Moanin''. It encapsulates all Blakey's ambitions and intentions and I like it so much that accidentally I have now bought 2 copies! So, another home can now be completed...

Black & Decker Powered Adjustable Auto Wrench
Black & Decker Powered Adjustable Auto Wrench
Offered by Dealsdirect247

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever and useful tool, 23 Feb. 2010
THis is a very clever idea which is trying to get rid of ythe great crescent wrench problem; are you doing it up or undoing it when you can't see it behind the thing you'rer working on. It seems to do this most of the time - the other times it tries to get a grip on the bolt shaft just like its less sophisticated brothers. 9/10 for trying. The next question is - what's the battery life? Imagine being stuck in the Sahara with one of these as your only spanner just as the batteries need changing!

Bird Mobiles: A Collection of Bird Mobiles to Cut and Glue Together (Make mobiles series)
by Anne Wild

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful book of models, 23 Feb. 2010
I bought this thinking the bird models in it were more complex than they actually are, so at first I felt a bit let down. HOWEVER the models are simple, very nicely drawn, and all go together very well. A very enjoyable little experience.

WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
WALL-E (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ben Burtt
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought Wall-e, 23 Feb. 2010
I bought Wall-e so that I could show it to my sister when she comes down to see me. It's a very complex and interesting film especially as it's also an animation - I suppose you are not so prone to being accused of being negative about the future of the human race if it's a cartoon? Except it isn't a cel-based cartoon, like the Studio Ghibli animations from Japan, it's a Pixar computer animation film which gives it a fantastic level of texture and finish - the WORK they all put in - and it's Disney backed so it's more or less child friendly as well. Intelligent films start here for the next generation. (I have just seen the OTHER robot cartoon (Robots); compared to Wall-e it comes over as flashy, glossy and insincere. Too street-smart for its own good.) BUY WALL-E and start thinking!

My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

5.0 out of 5 stars Neighbourly joy, 30 Oct. 2009
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this copy of 'My Neighbour Totoro' to give to a friend; I thought she ought to be able to share it with her grandchildren. This appears to have been all the success I could
have hoped for; everybody liked it.
There are only two things wrong with the film to my eyes - it isn't long enough, and I think the music behind the titles is a bit too hearty. Otherwise it's the best anime cartoon I've ever seen, with unbelievably beautiful background art and funny, believable, human characters. The cat bus always makes me laugh, and the dream sequence with Totoro and his minions making the acorns grow like rockets says so much about childhood, Japan, and folk belief - I love the end of it, where they all finish up right at the top of the tree, playing ocarinas! Immediately afterwards the children wake in the morning; the seeds have sprouted, and they ecstatically echo the dance they performed in the dream with Totoro.
It's an unusual film as it presents so much of the action in a dual way - you can believe everything from the children's viewpoint, and you can also see the real threat to their mother's health as a continuous presence; sun and shade, often in the same scene. The continued presence of the villagers, merging in and out of the background, serves to root the story very much in felt reality. Like all Miyazaki's anime, atmosphere is there to be experienced almost at first hand; was there ever such a wet wait for a bus in the gathering gloom of night?

The World's Fastest Indian [DVD]
The World's Fastest Indian [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indian Summer, 20 Sept. 2009
I bought this DVD for a friend who has been involved with motorcycles for 60 years, after seeing it on television.
It's the story of a devoted elderly New Zealand motorbike and speed enthusiast, Burt Munro, who takes his 1920's Indian motorcycle to the Speed Week at Bonneville Salt Flats in the 60's to try to break records, and his adventures, both getting there from New Zealand and at the speed tests, with enough technical detail to make it interesting and involving without being nerdy.
It's a truly charming film (not something you would expect from a motorbike film) and Anthony Hopkins is startlingly good as Munro, whose adventures on his self financed trip (by rather horrible steamship and then overland) to Bonneville and his ease of making (usually) eccentric friends give a very rounded picture of the nicest sort of fanatic.
A lovely film, well shot and well edited- you don't have to be a greaser to appreciate it!

80 Best Ever Projects Origami: The Complete Guide to the Art of Paper Folding (Practical Illustrated Encyclop)
by Rick Beech

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable and compact Origami source, 20 Sept. 2009
When this book arrived I realised that I had already bought it when it was published in a larger format.
The changes necessary to make the design fit the smaller pages has improved the book immensely; it already was a very good origami book indeed, but now you can carry it about with you instead of having to open it out on a table, the layout and design are clearer, and the high quality of the illustrations has carried over into the new edition.
Now, what do I do with version number One?

The Art and Wonder of Origami
The Art and Wonder of Origami
by Kunihiko Kasahara

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art and Wonder of Origami, 22 Aug. 2009
This is the first Origami book I have seen which gives a modern Japanese view of the craft. It's quite excellent and a very educational experience!
It is beautifully produced, designed and illustrated, and gives a very good insight into the way Origami is continually being developed and expanded, in terms of a re-examination of the earliest printed mentions of Origami designs and an enthusiastic explanation of the possibilities offered by Modular Origami.
It's a true multi-media package; it comes with a CD of work patterns and templates so that it is very easy to follow, explore and experiment with Kuniko Kasahara's ideas and argument.
The illustrations, a combination of excellent photographs and drawings in a Japanese style, complement the aesthetic and philosophical ideas involved so that you never feel that any of the concepts are being thrust on you, or that you are expected to accept them uncomprehendingly.
It may sound as if this is a very dense textbook; it's not, the beauty of the models and page layout make it a true pleasure to read, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to extend and deepen their knowledge and experience of Origami.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7