Profile for Francis Kheng > Reviews

Content by Francis Kheng

Francis Kheng "fkheng" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Real Face of Atheism, The
Real Face of Atheism, The
by Ravi K. Zacharias

5.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of work by Ravi!, 3 Jan 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Many Atheists are comfortable to hide behind well constructed intellectual arguments. However, Ravi Zacharias explores the many sides of Atheism, and also, explores those who have in history, practised atheistic fundamentalism, and what the world will look like when god is dead. The book takes on the religiosity of atheists, and explores the worldview of atheism. A very bleak picture indeed!

A good read for all who are curious about the Atheistic worldview. This book does not attempt to debunk Atheism, but to expose the rational consequences and logical exposition of an atheistic worldview.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2010 6:51 PM GMT

Hard To Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
Hard To Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
by John MacArthur

4.0 out of 5 stars The real cost of following Jesus, 3 Jan 2008
John MacArthur issues a wake up call to many Christians in this book on the price of discipleship, and the real meaning of taking up His cross daily. The problem with most teachings today is that we find the subtle influence of the prosperity gospel eating into the beliefs of many Christians.

Many preachers who promulgate the prosperity teachings are only setting people up for disappointment. The Christian life is not just about experiencing material blessings, as blessings needn't be financial. People need to know that God does place people into trials to learn through suffering, which increases faith and endurance. When the crunch comes, people forget the words of Jesus when he challenged the people around Him to take up His cross and carry it daily.

People should not be misled to believe that by giving, they have a valid right to expect God to bless them in return. Giving should be out of a cheerful heart, and not giving outrightly with an expectation to receive. That defeats the purpose of giving, because you only seek to offset giving by receiving more in return.

I have given this book 4 stars because I felt that John was beating around the bush in expanding on certain points. But overall, this book deserves to be read by all who want to be a true follower of Christ.

Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud
Disappointment with God: Three Questions No One Asks Aloud
by Philip Yancey

5.0 out of 5 stars A look into how disappointment is addressed in the Bible, 3 Jan 2008
Philip Yancey addresses the 3 questions Christians frequently attempt to avoid, based on his own personal encounters and communications with Christians who have faced major disappointments.

The great thing about this book is that it helps you understand disappointment through the lens of many biblical heroes. What struck me most is that the Bible does not dismiss disappointment, but rather, records the disappointments faced by God's very own people throughout the Old Testament.

Philip Yancey does a great job in helping us find comfort in the fact that we are not alone in facing great disappointments, and that the Israelites, God's chosen people, suffered many coutns of setbacks themselves. Disappointments should not surprise us in an imperfect world.

This is a great book to read, and will certainly help many people think more maturely when they face disappointments with God in life.

The Jesus I Never Knew
The Jesus I Never Knew
by Philip Yancey

5.0 out of 5 stars A real personal study on the life of Jesus, 3 Jan 2008
This review is from: The Jesus I Never Knew (Paperback)
Very often, we tend to read the gospel accounts from a more theological perspective. The numerous sermons delivered focus on the teachings of Jesus, and the hypothetical aspects of his life and relationship with others.

However, Philip Yancey does a great job at exploring the personal nature of Jesus, God in human form, on earth, and the very emotions our Lord Jesus Christ must have felt while here on earth.

This book really changed my outlook on Jesus! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to have an in depth look into the life of Jesus, and the relational nature of our Lord Jesus Christ!

Why Is Yawning Contagious?: Everything you ever wanted to know about the human body and some things you'd rather not know
by Francesca Gould

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, some sections repetitive, 3 Jan 2008
Overall, I'd say this is a good book for light reading, as it addresses many peculiar scientific occurences and events within the human body. I've only given it 3 stars as it was dry in some areas where it used a lot of biological terminology which I just skipped over as it has been a while since I learnt chemistry and biology!

Overall, a decent compilation of peculiar questions on the human body.

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
by John Perkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Always a difficult piece to judge..., 13 May 2006
When you read a book of this sort, you have to form either 2 conclusions. In the first instance, this author is really telling the truth. In the second, the author is writing a piece of fiction.

But such is the difficulty in evaluating if what the author is trying to say is true. Especially when they make claims/allegations that border between conspiracies and fiction. It's tough to tell. The author, if telling the truth, did not do a good job in substantiating or at least convincing us readers about the authenticity of his account. I agree with other readers of this book that he should have backed up his piece of writing with more economic arguments, and statistics that would help solidify his case.

This book really reads like a story on the advance of globalisation (he calls it corporatocracy). Overall, I feel that this is just one of the many version of theories we hear circulating around by organisations like FromTheWilderness and other authors who write about the topic of geopolitics, and the intertwining of politics and the wealthy. It's always good to know to get some insight. We should not accept everything we read in the media.

Nevertheless, it was an easy book to read, very light reading.

Harvard Business Review on Mergers & Acquisitions ("Harvard Business Review" Paperback)
by Harvard Business School Press

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical Advice, flat wrong on New Economy..., 15 Feb 2006
As this book contains compilations of articles prior to the fall of the stock market in 2000, some authors tout the coming of the New Economy, even praising Worldcom as one of the best companies in the technology sector.
Apart from these glitches, the advice and insight is very helpful in understanding how these experienced authors who are CEOs make their M&A decisions, what their thoughts are etc. Very practical, and is not meant to be a theoretical read.

Investing in Real Estate, 5th Edition
Investing in Real Estate, 5th Edition
by Paul McGreevy

4.0 out of 5 stars Really comprehensive book...informative., 13 Feb 2006
This is my first book on Real Estate, and I bought it due to its popularity. The book is really full of details, it reads like a text book as some other reviewers elsewhere have commented. I had difficulty understanding some of the terminologies akin to real estate as I have no prior background in real estate. I also found this book tailored towards US resident readers (but most real estate books are).
Nevertheless, this is a good introduction for me to the world of real estate.
I feel that this book is practical because it provides advice on drafting contracts (whether for purchase or rental deals), informs readers of the considerations to be taken into account before making a buy/sell decision, ways to improve the value of your home, how to calculate market value, the various ways of financing a real estate investment.
When I do embark on my real estate investments, I will definitely use this book as a reference.

Should We Have Faith in Central Banks
Should We Have Faith in Central Banks
by Otmar Issing

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and to the point., 31 Jan 2006
Since this is a kind of short book, like a white paper on the title of the book, it mainly centers around the role of Central Banks and the controls that should be in place to ensure its independence and objectivity.
A good read for anyone seeking to have a peek into the issue of Central Banking independence.

The Vault.Com Guide to the Finance Interview (Vault Guide to Finance Interviews)
by Vault Com Inc

3.0 out of 5 stars Summary of basic concepts in finance, 31 Jan 2006
I gave this book 3 stars because I found some errors in printing or calculations in it. However, I found the section on guesstimates really helpful, personally, in my preparation for the interviews I had.
Overall, don't expect this to be a textbook read with thorough coverage of the concepts. A lot of the areas espoused are brief. However, it is great to carry this book along with you to the interview, probably reading it on the way to the interview.
Still, few books around tailor their content to interviewees like Vault.

Page: 1 | 2