Profile for Careersguru > Reviews

Getting into Nursing & Midwifery Courses
Getting into Nursing & Midwifery Courses
by Wendy Reed

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptionally useful and well-researched, 16 Jun. 2013
This is an excellent book that covers quite a complex topic in a thorough but concise way. I read it from cover to cover on a two-hour train trip and by the end of it I felt I had a very clear, detailed and realistic understanding of all the issues that need to be considered when choosing and applying to study nursing or midwifery.

I like the way the book goes directly to the point right from page one by establishing the high demand for places on nursing and midwifery degree courses and how focused your personal statement needs to be. I also especially like the way it then goes into depth on the topic of work experience and the insight it provides into the different kinds of experiences that are relevant.

The chapters dealing with the generic skills and qualities needed for both midwifery and each branch of nursing are excellent, as is the personal statement chapter which does a great job in explaining the essential importance of writing reflectively about your experiences and insights. The chapter on selection days includes good examples illustrating some of the wider ethical and professional issues around health and care that you need to be aware of and there is good information for mature applicants and good chapters on funding and subsequent career routes.

Three very minor criticisms are the lack of a male role model amongst the case studies, no mention of university comparison sites and also the application timescales, which suggested you need to attend uni open days in the spring of your application year - in my own view, June, July and even September/October would not be too late for students who are trying to balance their career and uni research with their academic studies. But given the very tight deadlines and space constraints authors have to work to, these are minor sticking points in what is an exceptionally useful and well-researched book.

The Iron Curtain Kid
The Iron Curtain Kid
by Oliver Fritz

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Iron Curtain Kid (Paperback)
Ever since I first visited East Berlin in 1982, I have been looking for a book that describes what life was like in the DDR for ordinary citizens and how it evolved over time. Then my wife found Oliver's book on Amazon and gave it me for Christmas 2012. It's everything I've been looking for. It paints a vivid picture of every aspect of daily life in a very humorous way, with terrible jokes and many wonderful anecdotes. It has a lovely blend of the mundane alongside many fascinating reflections of the political background that dictated how people lived. I also felt I got to know Oliver, his family and friends in a way that drew me right into the book and I liked the glimpses it gives you of other parts of the DDR too, as East Berlin wasn't necessarily representative of the whole. What I think I like the most is that it shows how the political regime was both intensely sinister and yet ridiculous at the same time, especially during the denouement leading up to the fall of the Wall, and it also describes many positive aspects of DDR life to counterbalance all the negatives. Having previously read Stasiland, which I greatly enjoyed as well, Oliver's book really complemented it by describing the realities of life from someone with whom I could totally identify. As someone with quite simple tastes in literature, I totally loved this book!