Profile for Engineer > Reviews

Cisco SF 302-08P 8-Port 10/100 PoE Managed Switch w/Gig Uplinks
Price: 162.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible to use and unreliable, 11 Nov 2013
Positives:
Yes it's deffinitely a POE switch

Negatives:
External PSU
Very poor PSU design, prone to shorting while being plugged in
Complex and un-intuitive user interface
Mine lasted just a few weeks before the PSU failed

Canon CanoScan LiDE 110 Scanner
Canon CanoScan LiDE 110 Scanner
Offered by digi shopping
Price: 47.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish software makes it useless, 19 Nov 2012
This product has without doubt the worst interface software I have ever seen. The maker were probably trying to make it idiot proof but in the process have made it almost useless. Nothing wrong with the hardware but software makes it not worth having. This is my third Canon scanner and sadly my last!

PURE EVOKE-2S, Luxury Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Maple
PURE EVOKE-2S, Luxury Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio - Maple
Offered by Barretts Digital World
Price: 149.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Over Priced - Poor Value, 28 April 2012
I got this product as a present and did not have the opportunity to return it, otherwise it would have gone back in the first week. I have now had enough time to see how bad it really is and notice I'm not the only one to have had reliability issues with it.

GOOD POINTS:
Looks good!
Sounds ok but only when it works!

BAD POINTS:
Prone to spontaneous and strange failures.
In DAB mode last between 15 and 30 mins before switching itself off.
Other strange behaviours including volume refusing to turn down from time to time!

VERDICT:
Very poor price to quality ratio.
Ok as an ornament, but if you want a DAB radio, buy another brand.

I work in electronic product design and I must say Pure should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a product at this luxury price point with such massive reliability problems.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2013 11:55 AM BST

TomTom XXL IQR Edition 5" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (42 Countries)
TomTom XXL IQR Edition 5" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (42 Countries)

1.0 out of 5 stars Better brands out there, 23 Sep 2011
I can only assume that most people writing the reviews here have not had a satnav before. This is my third satnav, previously I have used a Garmin and a Navman, admittedly sometimes in other countries. This model is supposedly near top of the range but I have found that it lets me down on usability.
By the way I did not buy from Amazon, if I had, I might not have found it so hard to get my money back.

NEGATIVES

As the other reviews say, the online update feature is most likely to never work for you. I have a very good internet connection and I'm tech savvy, I tried twice and could not get it to work. Both times I ended up with a dead unit, which I was only able to reset by running the battery down to zero. Incidentally, the unit is unable to hold all the maps for the areas it is sold for, so you are obliged to do an update if you are going far afield.

The unit regularly goes into a fault mode, sometimes giving a blank screen and sometimes endlessly calculating the route. Can be recovered by switching on and off.
The maps are missing the names of a very large number of roads. This can be problematic if you are unsure of the postcode or trying to find something on the recent destination list. The problem might be fixed by an update but ... see above.

The browse maps feature is very hard to use. Both Navman and Garmin have much better browse route and browse map features that actually work. The other brands also have much more intuitive menus.
Lane guidance is given too late, just as you are passing the fork in the lanes.

The means of attachment between the display and the window mount is not well designed. Can take a lot of force to connect it and can then fall off with the slightest knock. Not funny if you happen to be driving on a motorway!

POSITIVES

Better time estimates that any satnav I have used before.

Long battery life.

OVERALL VERDICT

Avoid, buy another brand, or cheaper model so you will not be so disappointed.