Profile for Mr Brian Jones > Reviews

Content by Mr Brian Jones

Mr Brian Jones

Panasonic V100 Full HD 1920 x 1080 Camcorder - Black (42x Intelligent Zoom, SD Card Recording, Power OIS, Face Recognition) 2.7 inch LCD

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent video quality, wind noise is a problem outdoors, included software for editing requires a high spec computer., 3 April 2013
I have had this camera for a couple of weeks. I am very pleased with the quality of the video indoors and out. I haven't tried out extremes such as low light or fast moving subjects. I read through the reviews before buying, and noted that some reviews described the controls are small and fiddly. Well, it is a small camera. I didn't find them particularly difficult to use. There are a bewildering number of options, but you get good results when using the auto setting. Another reviewer mentioned that it wasn't clear what class of SD card is required - The answer is class 4 or higher for SD and SDHC. Panasonic have a web page to explain some features of SDXC memory as it is relatively new, and not everything is fully compatible.

I found that wind noise was a problem when the camera is used outdoors. I have a much older JVC camcorder which I used at the same time and it didn't seem to suffer from wind noise as much.

One big problem I have - I found the enclosed editing software terrible to use, but I later found that I need a much more powerful computer - the minimum spec is an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.6GHz CPU. It is written in small print on the box, but that's no help when buying mail order. There aren't many alternative programs which can edit the AVCHD format, either.