Profile for EZW > Reviews

Content by EZW

EZW

Page: 1 | 2
The Friendly Swede Replaceable Tip Hybrid Stylus (3 Pack), Hot Pink, Light Blue and Purple
Offered by The Friendly Swede [UK]

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb product, 7 May 2015
This is a lifesaver for me. As someone who has a problem with right hand mobility it means I can prolong the use of it when typing with The Friendly Swede on my iPad. So glad I bought them!

Dead Man Walking (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 4)
Dead Man Walking (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 4)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, 25 Dec. 2014
I really enjoyed the previous Heck books but this was a bit of a let down. Apart from guessing who The Stranger was fairly early into the book I really couldn't buy into all the physical violence that happened to Heck. As he's not superhuman it would have at least stopped him in his tracks for a bit of recovery time. I also found it a bit unlikely that he'd know so much about the area having been there for so little time. The endless detail about the terrain was a bit too much too. I always allow an author one dodgy book in a series and I hope this is that one. I will look forward to the next and hope it's as good as the previous ones.

ADAPTOR UK TO ITALY
ADAPTOR UK TO ITALY
Offered by ADAPTOO

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY!, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: ADAPTOR UK TO ITALY (Electronics)
Do not buy this unless you're happy to use only two-pin plugs. It is impossible to get a three-pin plug into it. I am only giving it a star because otherwise the review won't appear.

Accidents Waiting to Happen
Accidents Waiting to Happen

2.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!, 13 Mar. 2014
The funniest book I've read in ages. I can't believe it was published as a thriller as there wasn't a single bit of tension throughout. One bizarre happening after another and each one more unbelievable than the last. I've given it two stars because it made me laugh out loud!

The October List
The October List

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly Different, 30 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The October List (Kindle Edition)
I have to confess that for the first three quarters of this book I thought Mr Deaver had come to the end of his creative talents. I thought I was reading a fairly average thriller, albeit one written in an unusual fashion and therefore probably worth continuing with. I won't reiterate the story but what I will say is, please stick with it. There is a huge twist that I definitely did not see coming and just when I was getting my head round this shift and thinking back to how it fit with what I'd read there came another twist in such typical Deaver fashion. He really is a master of twisted (probably in more sense than one of the word) endings and has not let us down here.

I was a bit disappointed with the last Lincoln Rhyme novel but he's back on track here and I think he was right to keep the book shorter than his usual ones as the device would have become a bit tiresome if it had gone on longer.

Road to Rouen
Road to Rouen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Road to Rouen (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on a recommendation from an English language magazine devoted to all things French and can only assume the reviewer didn't get past reading the blurb. However, the biggest surprise for me was to read in the acknowledgements that there was an editor involved in this book. Why then, in the name of all that is wonderful about the English language, were there so many errors? It's bad enough that typos get through but apostrophes in the wrong place and clunky passages that you have to read several times to get the sense are really unacceptable.

I've given this book two stars because there were a couple of laugh out loud moments but so many more were expected. If a book is being touted as being about a journey through France then that's what is expected, not to have to endure long and boring passages about a couple in whose lives I have little interest.

For properly funny, and beautifully written, travel writing books I shall go and re-read Bill Bryson!

French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure
by Mireille Guiliano

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating and nearly unreadable, 4 Mar. 2013
As someone currently living on the outskirts of Paris I thought it would be instructive to read this to see if it agreed with my ideas of why so many French women I see seem to be slim bordering on skinny. How disappointing it was - and I will put my hands up and say I haven't read it through to the end as I found a lot of hard to read. In common with another reviewer I found the constant little 'Frenchisms' and badly written sentences extremely annoying. There are so many things I disliked about this book - the constant plugging of Veuve Clicquot, the leek soup (yeugh!), the order it pretend to eat it nonsense etc., but I thought I would try and get through it. However the last straw was after the recipe for Chicken au Champagne. After using one third of the bottle in cooking she says at the end that you should drink the rest of the bottle and will get 6 glasses from it. Good grief woman, are the glasses you use even visible?!

Observations of the women I see point mainly to one thing - they smoke instead of eat. I am convinced of this by the ones you see smoking while pushing prams or walking the kids to/from school, by the ones who stand outside office buildings and smoke and by the ones who sit huddled outside cafes in winter in the rain that cigarettes are used in a large part to control appetite. Fine, that is their choice, if not so pleasant for the rest of us, but it certainly wasn't something the author mentioned in the two-thirds of the book I did read. I am sure the French do exercise - I often see one of my neighbours on her exercise machine in the morning just before she comes out on to the balcony, in all weathers, for a cigarette.

And as for the point that all French women buy fresh food at markets, well words fail me. There is a very small market a fair way from me two mornings a week and other than that the usual supermarkets. So are the women who shop at the supermarkets only buying the frozen pizzas and ready meals (many of which are actually rather nice!) for the kids and not for themselves? I doubt it.

I am sorry I wasted money buying this book - I could have bought a rather nice bottle of wine instead!

Hanging Wood, The (Lake District Mysteries)
Hanging Wood, The (Lake District Mysteries)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Read, 4 Mar. 2012
After reading The Serpent Pool I was really looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint in the least. I have a tiny niggle which I'll come to later but overall I thought it was just as great as the previous Lake District Mysteries. The one thing that shines through all these books for me is the sense of place. Martin Edwards paints such a wonderful picture of the Lake District that you feel you are walking through these same locations as Hannah and Daniel. I know that many of them are fictional but there is none of the 'made-up' feeling you get with some other books. The plot moved with wonderful pace and as before the characters really come off the page and are totally believable. The murders are superbly ghastly and horribly claustrophic. And so to my little niggle - please Mr Edwards you have to either let Hannah and Daniel get together in the next book or one of them is going to have to go away. We can take the will-they-won't-they only for so long but it will become a bit tedious if something doesn't happen. Next book soon please!

Serpent Pool, The (Lake District Mysteries)
Serpent Pool, The (Lake District Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one yet, 17 Feb. 2012
I was really looking forward to reading the fourth in this series and I only wish I'd warned everyone that I was starting it because once started it's absolutely impossible to put down. He really seems to have nailed it with this one. Admittedly I did feel the full force of irony when reading the opening chapter as it features the awful death of rare-book collection George Saffell burning in his boathouse library - I was reading it on my Kindle!

From the opening chapter you are totally gripped by the characters in this tale, which has its usual wonderful sense of place that feature in all the novels in this series. Edwards gives you charactes who are sometimes hard to like but nonetheless you can't help but feel for them in this book as the methods of their killing are truly horrible.

Once again Hannah and Daniel gently skirt around each other and much as you want to see them getting together you know Edwards isn't going to do it at the expense of the story or the characters' personality traits. I also loved the way that Daniel's sister Louise was given more of a role and even though the ghastly Miranda was mentioned Edwards avoided the cliche of bringing her back into the mix.

Keep this up Martin Edwards - we're going to want a lot more!

ARSENIC LABYRINTH, THE (Lake District Mysteries)
ARSENIC LABYRINTH, THE (Lake District Mysteries)

5.0 out of 5 stars EZW, 14 Jan. 2012
If Martin Edwards' third book in the Lake District series of novels is anything to go by, any future books are going to lose him fans. Not, of course, because they're dreadful but because the suspense of reading through to the ending will kill us! This is a cracker of a novel with the Lake District once again taking a brilliant place front of stage and the players supporting it, in the form of Daniel and Hannah, getting better and better to be around. Is there anyone out there who didn't cheer when Miranda left? Edwards populates his books with characters who are always believable and he certainly makes me want to read more about the people who live in this wonderful fictional, and yet not, part of England.

Page: 1 | 2