Profile for Mr. J. R. Shaw > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. R. Shaw

Mr. J. R. Shaw (Cambridge, UK)

Bernese Oberland (Alpine Club Guides)
Bernese Oberland (Alpine Club Guides)
by Les Swindin

3.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, but out of date, 8 Nov 2011
I've been on a few trips to the Bernese Oberland now, using this guide both times. As far as I'm aware, it's the only comprehensive guidebook in english, and for this reason it's fairly essential.

However, I think the Bernese Oberland seems to have suffered from the changing climate more than other regions, and the real conditions of many routes don't seem to be reflected in the descriptions. On one trip, of the 5 or 6 candidates we had come up with at the southern end (all of which seemed perfect in the guide), the guardian at the Oberaletsch hut reckoned only two were still safe to attempt - the rest were dangerously unclimbable - and some of our party had a very real encounter with one of the 'unclimbable' routes the previous day. I don't expect, or want to know everything about a route beforehand, but I put this in the category of things that should be mentioned (we had a few other minor experiences the next season, that would have been helped by a realistic description of the conditions in later season).

I accept that with all the effort that goes into a comprehensive guidebook, keeping it to up to date is extremely difficult. The bottom line is get another, preferably more recent, guidebook too (something like The 4000m Peaks of the Alps - Selected Climbs for the big peaks), and try and ask someone with local knowledge (hut guardian/local guide etc).

Good points:
- comprehensive
- a nice little sport cragging section (useful for rest days)

Bad points:
- quite out of date

UKayed 48 DVD/CD Padded Storage Wallet In Black
UKayed 48 DVD/CD Padded Storage Wallet In Black
Offered by Etrade247 Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars 48 CD's is a joke, 21 Oct 2010
I've just received mine. Though there are sleeves for 48 CD's (they are very flimsy as mentioned in other reviews), there's nowhere near enough space in the case to actually fit 48 CD's. It seems the actual outer case is about the same size as a better quality 24 CD holder. I wouldn't recommend trying to fit more than that in it.

Condensed Matter Field Theory
Condensed Matter Field Theory
by Alexander Altland

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 Jun 2010
I've been very taken with this book since I studied the subject as an undergraduate. The book takes a comprehensive approach to the theoretical aspects of the subject, and is very engaging, making the best of a fascinating field. A very compelling read.