Profile for stereotype_a > Reviews

stereotype_a

Electrolux Superbroom Z161E Lightweight Cleaning System
Electrolux Superbroom Z161E Lightweight Cleaning System

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for grandparents!, 28 Feb. 2008
I bought this based on the weight and the customer reviews. I got it for my grandparents who are in their 80s and can't lift the normal hoovers as they are so heavy, especially if they have tools. It's also much much cheaper. What a great price! This is a great hoover for getting into tight spaces, under the front of couches and its super light. It has good suction considering it's so wee! It may not pick up all the little threads you end up with on floors however it's great for the dust and crumbs. The cord is long and winds away nicely. If you don't mind substituting power and capacity for less weight then this is for you. It's also harder to find, so get it here while you can.

Tropical Deco: Architecture and Designs of Old Miami Beach
Tropical Deco: Architecture and Designs of Old Miami Beach
by Laura Cerwinske

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 16 Mar. 2007
I bought this a few years ago and read it only last week. It's one of those books you long to read but keep for later! It was the most fantastic book. The pictures were exquisite and the information that came with each chapter was informative but not excessive. I liked how the author divided the book up into chapters according to aspects of style and gave examples. I was in awe of the beauty of and inspiration behind each of these buildings. I'd truly love to visit the area and was happy to hear that many of the buildings are now protected and being renovated. I understand that the book is now over twenty years old but I believe it still relevant. Some of the buildings are perhaps gone and some may have changed so all the book captures is priceless. I will be keeping this close from now on and enjoy many more views.

Ecdysis
Ecdysis

5.0 out of 5 stars < 717 >, 26 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Ecdysis (Audio CD)
'Ecdysis' means 'the action of casting off skin or shedding an exoskeleton, etc.' The album seems to focus on nature with an element of futurism thrown in, so I can see how this ties in. Plus there is an insect on Miho's head.

I bought this album on import about a month ago. It took me a while to get into it however it's now one of my classic albums. It is a close call between Miho and Yuka Honda for top spot with regards solo albums however at the moment I do prefer Miho's effort (however I've not yet heard Yuka's first album). The beats and arrangements are fantastic and it's the perfect album for me and my train journeys and in the car. It's cool and funky and really very different, and I love how these two can do that. I'm so sick of much of the music these days that I hark back to the old days for good work and so to find more new music is a great feeling.

My favourite song has to be Walking City. It's nice to hear Miho talking her way through the song in her girly accented voice and then she surprises at the end with a funky jungle beat/theme (present throughout the album) and a tune to hum the rest of the day. The subject matter makes you think too.. Protect/love your environment!

Another few to mention are firstly The Spirit of Juliet, which is haunting and soothing. Ecdysis itself caught me straight away due to the organs and the gentle delivery of lyrics that echo beautifully. It the picks up tempo and is so catchy I have to replay. The end is great as the bells, drums and synths combine and cement the sound. The Sweet Samsaras are great, as the familiar horns are present with beat in background in I and the tempo rises in II with catchy (there's that word again) lyrics. 'Flow with me, flow...'

Good luck singing to A Song for Kids unless you are fluent in Japanese. If so, well done! Barracuda also has some singing in her native lauguage at the end.

I think this album is more easy listening that Yuka's Eucademix however no less of an effort. In fact, at the moment, I like this album more. Maybe because it's my newest CD. I love how they both use so many distinctive instruments to create sounds you just don't hear on the radio, and though I wish them success, selfishly I don't want them to become mainstream.

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
by Dee Alexander Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating yet utterly appalling tale of Native Americans, 9 Oct. 2005
I love how Dee Brown has chosen a mounted Native American warrior as his cover picture, as this drew my attention to his book. I feel it presents the right image, that of a strong, proud and noble warrior belonging to such a tribe. I liked the inclusion of a map at the beginning of the book, charting the significant battles, rivers, territories and settlements of the time. The inclusion of photographs was inspiring, and I found that this helped me to envisage each chapter whilst allowing me to study in particular some of the more famous Native American chiefs I have heard or read about. Hundreds of quotes appear at the beginning and throughout each chapter from both Native Americans and white Americans. This, I believe, is an essential part of any non-fiction novel, as many books are naturally written through the eyes of their author or historians of another background, leaving a biased view. This ensures that effectively, the Native Americans have told much of their own story, which is vital. Furthermore, with most views of the USA having come and coming from white Americans alone, it is a refreshing change and a well deserved chance for old voices to be heard. The song at the end of each chapter is another thoughtful way of tapping into Native American culture. There are war songs and tribal dances, and if you're musical you can play them, as the notes are all there!! There is also a complex bibliography for those who want more detailed information.
Dee Brown has put a great deal of work into this book and I hope he is extremely proud of it. I will be buying it and I shall read it again. There is such an abundance of information and numerous people are mentioned (he gives so many the centre stage, I admire that) that I know I will have missed something, as one can when one reads a piece of literature only once.
This book is a breakthrough and would be an essential part of any historical research.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 2:32 PM GMT

Eucademix
Eucademix

5.0 out of 5 stars There exists true music to my ears., 24 April 2005
This review is from: Eucademix (Audio CD)
Those who buy Yuka Honda's Eucademix may be looking for the type of eclecticism's found in her work with Cibo Matto, and knowing their work well I suppose I was. However I feel that although her album doesn't quite have the same intensity as the Cibo Matto tunes, it carries remnants of ideas. Not surprising then that Miho Hatori, Timo Ellis and Marc Ribot also contribute.
Humming Tune (Alone Together) caught my attention straight away. The sweet voices provided by Petra Haden are wrapped comfortably in a good strong beat which, though rather repetitive, still creates a wonderfully soothing song which I don't tire of hearing. It's one I repeat often.
I Dream About You is again very catchy and funky. Yuka is again using her drum sequences well and the guitar is extremely haunting. Miho lends her vocals to this track. This one is my favourite.
When The Monkey Kills is instrumental is another captivating, funky and cool tune which I love. It took a few listens to form an opinion, as at first I thought it wouldn't develop. Added guitars bring a rough cut edge to its underlying refined sound.
Limoncello is another rather soothing tune with a good background beat and some and some interesting keyboard sounds mixed in with some bass for depth.
Some Things Should Be Kept Unsaid gave me the impression at the beginning of a rather nineties tune you would hear when on hold to a catalogue company or such like, to put it bluntly. However I think it develops into a pretty little piece of music which stays in mind well into the day. I find myself humming it.
Seed Of Seed Of Peach is fully instrumental again, as many are. I enjoy this one, performed on the piano by Yuka herself. It's soothing and flows well, and does not detract from the album. It is unlike any other track, as it does not contain any other instrument or voice.
Twirling Batons In My Head is a great name for this track, as it does create those kinds of thoughts. It's upbeat and fast though slows down at the end for a little bass guitar work. Short and sweet.
How Many Times Can We Burn This Bridge? has good beats, bass and guitar. It has a good mixture of that and keyboards to add some unusual sounds.
Parallel is another of my favourites. It is such a pretty song, and sounds like it should be listened to whilst sitting at the edge of Dawson's Creek. Vocals provided by Miho add to the lazy-day-with-sunshine-and-blue-skies atmosphere this song creates. Makes me smile!
Why Are You Lying To Your Therapist? is a strange mix of keyboards, drums, bass and who knows what else?! A typical Yuka concoction of haunting and spontaneous sound eruption. Sounds a bit like she is tuning her radio at times. In fact the radio needs to be tuned to her.
Phantomime is another lovely tune featuring the effects of rain on a tin roof with Yuka overplaying on the piano. The voices of Miho, Thomas Bartlett and herself, entwined with some bass and a haunting lyre-like guitar melody produce an understated and delicate sound.
Spooning With Jackknife is a thrown together kind of tune, with plenty to listen to and lots of intriguing sounds to decipher. I love the rock guitar sounds mixed with the sporadic drum beats. After a few listens, it really does make sense.
I recommend you bite the bullet and buy this album. I bought it with the 90% assumption I was going to like it, and so thank goodness I do (I hate buying CD's I end up disliking). I adore this album, its already a classic in my collection. I know it's difficult to find however if you do come across it (if you're ever in the USA for example, as I was) snatch the copy for yourself and run (please pay first!).

I Like 2
I Like 2
Offered by Founders Factory JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfairly Ignored, 29 April 2003
This review is from: I Like 2 (Audio CD)
This is the best single I honestly own. Brimming with a host of fresh sounds and ideas, Yaiko's I like 2 is well worth a listen. The first and third track are great dance tracks, track 3 is interesting though strangely unlike it's surrounding material, but it's at track 4 when the single takes your breath away. Track 4 is actually the original material remixed for the other tracks, that said the others lose some of the lyrics and so also lose the meaning maintained in the original track, and what is the original meaning you ask, well buy now to find out!