Profile for Alison > Reviews

Content by Alison
Top Reviewer Ranking: 386

Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Vaude Durance Women's Hooded Jacket black Size:42
Vaude Durance Women's Hooded Jacket black Size:42

5.0 out of 5 stars Flattering shape, 18 Sep 2014
A nice softshell and lightweight jacket that is useful as a mid-layer on colder days or as an outer layer for cooler summer days. It has a nice feminine cut which is a flattering shape. Pockets are well placed as hand warmers and the sleeve pocket is handy for small items. The size 42 is a size 14.

Emotional Intelligence: Managing Emotions to Make a Positive Impact on Your Life and Career
by Gill Hasson

4.0 out of 5 stars Reflect and consider, 18 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book follows the typical self-help business book format and is filled with padding. Patrick Løye gives a great summary in his review about how much of the text is wasted with telling you what the book is going to cover and then after telling you, it recaps what you've just read. If a lot of the padding was cut out the book would be half the length but much punchier and to the point.

However, there are some useful snippets in here and while some things are obvious if you think of them, it's the fact that the books gets you to think about them that is useful. Despite some of the reservations I have about this book, it has made me reflect on some of my behaviours and the behaviours of others and that is certainly a good thing.

AmazonBasics 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with UK Plug
AmazonBasics 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with UK Plug

5.0 out of 5 stars Basics range, great value, 18 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've bought a few Amazon Basics products since the range was launched and they are always good quality items. No bells as whistles as you might imagine, but well made and functional. This 4-port hub is exactly that. It's makes a great combination with my laptop which only has two USB ports and as it is externally powered there are no problems with power drain and it can run 4 devices simultaneously without a problem. In fact this is also very useful as a hub just to charge USB items not connected to a computer. While this is part of a 'basics' range, it is great value and there is no trade-off in functionality.

Extinction Game
Extinction Game

4.0 out of 5 stars How will it end?, 17 Sep 2014
This review is from: Extinction Game (Kindle Edition)
Extinction Game is packed full of action, post-apocalyptic imaginings, parallel universes and technological geekery.

Jerry is the last man on earth after a virus decimates the population and chance events and circumstances result in Jerry surviving when all others suffer and die. That is, until Jerry discovers footprints in the snow around his home.

Jerry's life changes immediately and his mind is blown as he discovers who The Pathfinders are and the different parallel universes that the members of the group have come from. It's here where Gibson really excels with well imagined scenarios and worlds.

For the most part the story storms along but there is so much here that it doesn't quite hit the mark on everything and the characterisation loses. There are a lot of characters and not all of them are well drawn, in fact I was confused by some of them as the action picked up towards the end.

If you enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction with action then this a great story that you will enjoy.

Simple Daily Radiance Cleansing Wipes - 25 Pack
Simple Daily Radiance Cleansing Wipes - 25 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 17 Sep 2014
The Simple range of products are reliable and good value. I have used Simple wipes for some time but usually went for the standard cleansing wipes. I decided to give these a go to try something new and see what the differences are.

They are very similar to the standard cleansing wipes. They have the same texture of cloth, the same perfume mild smell and the same effectiveness to remove make-up. I don't wear waterproof mascara so I'm not sure how effective these would be with that (the standard cleansing wipes claim to remove waterproof mascara whereas these radiance wipes do not, their special ingredient is for moisturising).

The wipes have a mild exfoliating finish and they leave my skin feeling clean and soft. I always use one at the end of the day to remove make-up without having to be too rough on the skin around my eyes.

Pedigree Joint Care Chicken for Large Dogs 21 Sticks 453g  (Pack of 3, Total 63 Sticks)
Pedigree Joint Care Chicken for Large Dogs 21 Sticks 453g (Pack of 3, Total 63 Sticks)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty treat that should do joints some good, 17 Sep 2014
I purchased these directly from Amazon and they arrived with the packaging entirely in German! It's not a huge problem, but I can't understand anything written on the packet!

I was expecting these to be a similar size as the Dentastix which we've used for a while but they are thinner than those, but roughly the same length.

My dog had osteoarthritis in one of her carpal joints and we spent a couple of years sorting her out. These are just a small way in which we hope we are protecting her other joints for any potential degeneration. It's difficult to know the impact these actually have on joint health, but as a treat the dog thoroughly enjoys them. The pack of three boxes (63 sticks) is really good value too.

Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil 500ml
Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Super quality oil, 16 Sep 2014
Great quality and organic. I use this solely for cooking but after glancing at some of the other reviews, I may use it for moisturising too! It doesn't have a strong coconut taste, but with plain foods you are likely to be able to taste the coconut. With stronger tasting foods it is so mild that the coconut taste will blend into the mix of flavours. It is soft but solid white consistency. Fair trade, 100% organic with a lovely taste. Recommended.

Lumie Zest Combination Light Therapy - Portable SAD Lamp and Wake-up Light to Improve Energy and Mood

4.0 out of 5 stars Great SAD light, OK wake-up Light, 13 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used wake-up lights for a few years now and I absolutely swear by them. They are a much more gradual and pleasant way to be woken in the morning and for me I feel so much more ready to face the day than when I used to use a standard alarm clock.

The Lumie Zest is a very portable unit that combines a wake-up alarm clock with a SAD light that can be used for light therapy sessions. The light settings can be altered to suit; different light intensity, time of light therapy session, wake-up time, volume of sound alarm etc. The unit is small and a plastic section that slots into the back and stays in place with magnets is used as a stand while the unit is in operation. For true portability this unit would benefit from a battery but I guess that would compromise it's light output, weight and operating duration. The power adaptor too isn't big or heavy so it's portable enough.

Where it doesn't quite succeed for me is the clock function. As a clock this unit goes on a bedside table and should help you sleep until the light wakes you in the morning. However, the backlight that illuminates the time is bright, very bright. Now, you can adjust the brightness - HI, LO or off. Great! What is not so great is that the setting only works if the alarm is actually activated. Sunday night to Thursday night this is not a problem, I set the alarm for the next morning and so my choice of LO is activated and the brightness is turned down LO (too low, I can't read the time unless I get very close, but that's largely due to me being very short-sighted!). Friday night and Saturday night I don't want to set the alarm, but for some unknown reason the brightness defaults back to HI! I have no idea why it would do this and I have read the manual carefully, trying to get this to change, nothing seems to work. The HI brightness is so bright it keeps me awake. So much so I switched the unit off entirely last night. I'll switch it back on and have to reset the settings and time on Sunday night - far from ideal. The other alternative is to change the alarm time to a later time on the weekends.

The light output is variable and it's very effective for light therapy. You can easily modify the settings to carry out the intensity and duration of session that you would like.

Overall it's a nice small unit that is quite portable but the settings are a little inconvenient for a week-round bedside clock.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2014 12:44 AM BST

Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier
Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenience and sound quality, 13 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier is a small device that can turn any pair of headphones into bluetooth headphones with added oomph!

I'm not a dedicated audiophile, so I can't tell you what some of the technical specs mean for these but I can tell what a difference this unit makes. It really gives added depth and volume to the sounds that my headphones produce and there is no way I can even tolerate listening to beyond half-way of the volume range the amp can produce.

The device means I can move about without being attached to a bluetooth music player. I've used this a lot with my iPhone; I've used it walking about and have been able to leave my phone securely inside my bag and clipped the E3 to my clothes. I've also used in while exercising at home and in the gym, I can clip to me and leave the phone somewhere out of the way so I don't end up dropping it or getting it sweaty. The E3 is a small and light unit so it's a lot easier to have clipped to be rather than trying to find somewhere suitable for my phone to go.

I've used it with different headphones and they all have worked well. I've taken telephone calls and that has worked well too. The bluetooth connection is strong and hasn't dropped once, it connects quickly every time. First pairing was quick and easy too. Once I got used to the placement of the buttons on the E3 I can use them without needing to look.

I'm impressed with this item. A great quality sound that gives added convenience for different circumstances.

GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small
GOODOGS CAPRICE Can Snack for Dogs, Small

5.0 out of 5 stars Waggy tail!, 11 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A medium sized snack that can be easily broken into smaller pieces to suit. Our large dog (weimaraner) really enjoyed these, so although they are marketed for small dogs, they are not too small for bigger dogs too and could be used as little training treats for big breeds.

A very high meat content (65% pork with some chicken) and no artificial ingredients, these are a good option for treats. Nothing nasty and fake in these treats.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20