Profile for Alison > Reviews

Content by Alison
Top Reviewer Ranking: 356

Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Mitre Delta V12S Match FIFA Inspected Ball - White/Orange/Black - 5
Mitre Delta V12S Match FIFA Inspected Ball - White/Orange/Black - 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a good price, 10 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mitre balls offer great value. While this is not a top-of-the-range ball, for the price you are getting a good quality ball that is durable and will play reliably. It is supplied deflated but it easy to pump up within a few minutes.

Size 5 is an adult sized ball, suitable for teenagers and above. It designed for play on grass, ideal for amateur level play.

Eden Lake
Eden Lake
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars Waaahh! Don't watch this film if you are easily scared!, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Eden Lake (Amazon Instant Video)
It's difficult to review a film like this. It's grim, really grim and I nearly gave up watching it because it really was so horrible and grim. In some ways it's over the top and unrealistic, but if you make the wrong choices and meet the worst people at the wrong time... oh yes, that's what makes this film so scary.

The acting is great, especially the nasty characters. The lead 'baddie' played by Jack O'Connell, is the meanest and most evil character, he is totally convincing in the role.

The film is 2 stars for watchability (I only just made it through to the end because my stubbornness made me what to know what happened in the end), 3 stars for the totally over the top parts of the plot but 5 stars for acting quality. I've given it a 4 star overall rating, it is so terrifying because of the great acting.

It's not really a film I would recommend to others unless they can tolerate being totally on the edge and are tough enough to watch people being pursued relentlessly and subjected to the most brutal violence.

P.KU.VDSL® Electronics Accessories Waterproof Multi Pockets Satchel Messenger Shoulder Bag For iPad 2/3/4/Air/Air2, iPad Mini, Galaxy tab And Up To 9.7 Inch or under 9.7'' Tablet Pc Protective Case Bag (Grey For 9.7" or under 9.7")
Offered by VanDeSaiL

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim and functional, 8 Nov. 2014
The Satchel Messenger Shoulder Bag is a small bag that is designed just to carry an iPad (or similar size tablet) with the essentials. I have an iPad air that I usually carry in a keyboard case which obviously makes it chunkier - with the keyboard case on it fits inside the main compartment of this satchel. With a slimmer cover or no cover, the iPad fits nicely into an inner pocket within the main compartment.

On the front of the bag there is a zipped pocket which is a shallow but wide pocket; a slip pocket with an overlap top (kind of works like a pillow cover); a slip pocket with a velcro patch to keep it closed. On the back of the bag there is a slip pocket with a velcro patch to keep it closed, inside the pocket are a couple of slip pocket/pouches to keep items such as a phone or ID card.

I think the bag is gender-neutral but my husband felt it was a little small and therefore wasn't a bag he would carry around, he'd prefer something bigger than a handbag size I think.

A detachable and adjustable strap is included with the bag and is long enough to be worn across the body, I prefer bags like this, they can be carried much more securely. It can also be removed and the pouch could then be used within a larger bag or just carried in the hand.

The padding gives good protection without bulking out the bag. The interior fabric is a soft microfibre type which won't scratch a tablet screen. The exterior fabric doesn't look waterproof, so I tested it. I put the bag under a running tap - yes it is waterproof! The water is repelled and this bag would keep your gadgets safe in a downpour.

It's a functional and practical bag that is well designed. It only carries the minimum, it's not spacious as such, but the pockets are practical for adding small items like a USB cable, phone, ID card pen and small notepad. It wouldn't be able to hold a plug for the USB charging though, it's too narrow.

I was sent this item directly from VanDeSail in exchange for my honest and unbiased review. I have rated this item as 5 stars as that is my genuine opinion of it.

Calvin Klein Obsession Secret Femme Eau de Parfum - 100 ml
Calvin Klein Obsession Secret Femme Eau de Parfum - 100 ml
Offered by UK Fragrance Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Vanilla and Jasmine, 6 Nov. 2014
A lovely perfume with a spicy vanilla and jasmine aroma. I prefer these kinds of spicy perfumes to those that are more floral, and this is a lovely musky blend. It's not the heaviest perfume and the smell does fade, I would need a reapplication half-way through a day. The standard 'Obsession' perfume is a heavier scent that lasts a little longer but I really like both.

Origami Case for Kindle Voyage (7th Generation)
Origami Case for Kindle Voyage (7th Generation)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, 6 Nov. 2014
The case is well made and securely fits to the Kindle Voyage using magnets. I've tipped it upside down and moved it around and it is very secure. I wanted the official case as I've always been pleased with the official cases in the past. They tend to fit much better without obstructing the front of the Kindle (I really don't like cases that have pieces that cover the bezels at the front, so inelegant compared to the official Kindle cases).

When the case is open, the front flips over the top and then the magnets secure it flat against the back. Alternatively the origami folds can be used to stand the Kindle up on a table. I haven't used previous Kindles like this, so this is something new but I have used it in the standing position a few times and is does work well. The inside of the front cover is a soft microfibre-type fabric that is nice to hold. The magnets also ensure that when the case is closed, the front of the cover is in the right position and held closed.

I went for the royal colour and I would describe it as a deep purple - it was exactly the colour I was expecting and on my screen the colour is the same as the actual product colour.

So why 4 -stars and not 5? I would have much preferred a book-style cover (where the cover hinges from the left, like a book spine would) as the top hinge feels counter-intuitive. Of course it hinges from the top to allow for the origami stand function to work, but I'd prefer the book-style in preference to being able to use the case as a stand. It's also very expensive indeed. It's a perfect fit and a good quality product, but it just doesn't feel worth the asking price and there is no way I could have justified paying for the leather version.

Edited to add:
I actually decided to return this case, it's not a bad product, it just doesn't do what I want from a case. The way I hold my Paperwhite in it's book-style Amazon case is with one finger between the back of the case and the folded back front of the case and the rest of my hand around the folded front. It means I have a sturdy one-handed hold on the device which is important for me particularly when I'm on public transport and also holding the Kindle when laid down in bed. I just couldn't get a one-handed secure or comfortable grip using the Voyage in this case and the Origami stand function wasn't something I would use often. As Amazon don't make a book-style case I've gone for a Forefront Case. Their new Voyage cases have no reviews yet, but their previous cases for Kindles have good reviews so I'm hopeful it will be suitable.

TRESemmé Cleanse and Renew Deep Cleansing Shampoo - 900 ml
TRESemmé Cleanse and Renew Deep Cleansing Shampoo - 900 ml
Offered by Chemist 4 U

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleans without drying, 5 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this shampoo for a while now and it's a winner for me for these reasons:

* great low price
* works well as a daily shampoo to get rid of 'gunky' products that can build up with less cleansing shampoos
* big bottle that lasts for ages
* great for greasy hair, it cleans away oils without drying
* pleasant smell, not too strong and not chemically at all
* it's a thick shampoo, not runny like some similarly priced shampoos, it's low price but not at the expense of quality

The only downside is the large bottle, it's rather unwieldy. I tend to decant some into a smaller bottle that has a pump dispenser.

Daughter
Daughter
by Jane Shemilt

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Daughter (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I spent a day in hospital yesterday and took this book with me, reading it all in a day. It was quite well written and despite all the distractions in a hospital, it was easy to engage in the story and keep on reading. However, although it was well written and easy to follow, the story was often predictable and stereotyped and I found it difficult to believe the different aspects of the personality of the daughter.

It was hard to care very much about some of the characters though. The family are all highly privileged people with wealth and opportunity and yet don't have much compassion for each other and all seem rather shallow and unlikeable. However, I guess that's part of the point of this book - when families don't connect with each other, they fall apart.

This is certainly a book that has been overhyped. It's a reasonable read but it's not the best book I've read this year. 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 stars.

Inateck Wireless Presenter Multifunction PPT Pointer | Cordless Professional Presenter Presentation Device | Adjustable Reminder with Vibration Mode | LCD Display of Battery Status and Operation | Wireless Multimedia PowerPoint Remote Control Clicker | Distance Up to 66ft | Black
Offered by Inateck

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty gadget for presentations, 5 Nov. 2014
I work at a university and often use tools like PowerPoint and Prezi to illustrate lectures, seminars and other sessions. I've used a presenter for a while, but mine is about 15 years also and is quite basic, so I was ready to try something a bit more advanced.

The Inateck Wireless Presenter with LCD screen is a really nifty tool. The USB stick that allows the presenter to connect to the computer is stored in the base of the unit, so it's stored neatly away when not in use but quick to access. The presenter works on two AAA batteries and has an on-off button. The LCD also turns off when the buttons haven't been pressed for 20 seconds or so.

It's the timer that really makes this presenter so useful for me. You set the time of the presentation and then it vibrates when you reach 5 minutes left to go, 1 minute and at 0 minutes. So useful and great for when you really cannot go over your time. I can think of an interview situation where this timer would have been perfect.

I have used the unit with PowerPoint and Prezi and it allows easy back and forward movement in both applications.

The laser pointer is also a useful tool to have and the presenter sits well in the hand to allow easy use of all the buttons.

A little carry pouch is included which makes it easy to stuff into a bag and not worry about getting damaged.

This is such a useful tool for me, I'd recommend it if you do any kind of presenting and don't want to be tied to the computer.

I was given this item by Inateck in exchange for my unbiased and honest review. I have rated this item as 5-stars as that is my honest opinion of the item.

Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Navy
Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Navy

4.0 out of 5 stars So soft!, 5 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This throw is so soft and smooth, it's just lovely to snuggle into when sitting on the sofa on a cold evening. It's only a relatively small throw and only big enough for one person to snuggle into really. That's the reason I've given this item 4 stars, it's a little small for the price as I have another near identical plush throw from Aldi that is much bigger and cost less.

The colour is deep and rich and the pile is thick and soft. It's a lovely item but I prefer throws a little bigger as they are more versatile in how they can be used. If you are looking for a small one then this is excellent, well made and beautifully soft.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarten up any TV, 2 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Amazon Fire TV (Electronics)
As a Prime subscriber I already use the Prime instant video on a relatively new smart TV that we have in our kitchen as well as accessing other online content such as YouTube and BBC iPlayer. Our larger 1080p TV in our living room is about 6 years old and doesn't have any 'smart' features at all. The Amazon Fire TV is the cheap and easy option to turn the TV into a smart TV.

The installation of the Fire TV box was very easy, I plugged into a hardwired ethernet connection and it worked straight away. A quick on-screen tutorial was helpful and then we got stuck into the content straight away.

We selected "Hostages" TV Series from Prime Instant Video and were very impressed with the ease of accessing the material and with the quality of the HD image. The remote control is easy to use and feels intuitive. The only thing I kept looking for was volume control, but this isn't there, you need to use your TV remote. I guess I'm just used to having a Sky TV remote that controls the TV volume as well as the Sky box.

I tried a few games and wasn't that fussed with any of them, but I didn't buy the Fire TV with the intention of using any of the games anyway. Some of the games need to have the game controller, so if you expect the play games, make sure you order the optional games controller at the same time.

I have a lot of digital music through Amazon, and the Fire TV does a good job of music playback.

We've used to the Fire TV quite a lot since we got it so we're very pleased with the purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20