Profile for Alison > Reviews

Content by Alison
Top Reviewer Ranking: 388

Alison "runninggirlcycling" (Derbyshire, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scrabble Box (Calendar 2014)
Scrabble Box (Calendar 2014)
by Carousel Calendars
Edition: Calendar

4.0 out of 5 stars Challenging, 16 Jan 2014
I love Scrabble and play frequently. This calendar provides a daily challenge, some puzzles are very challenging indeed! I've given this 4 stars and not 5 because a couple of the puzzles were phrased in such a way that I was looking for the wrong type of solution and so I would have never reached the right answer. Some clearer phrasing of questions would improve this calendar. It's good quality printing and includes tips and hints as well as the daily puzzle.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 4, 2014 7:43 PM BST

Gore Bike Wear Uwbox Women's Base Layer Boxer Shorty with Padded Bottom - Black, 40 cm
Price: 44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, 16 Jan 2014
These ladies cycling boxer shorts are ideal. They can we used under all sorts of different clothes - lycra tights or normal clothes - and give you cycling comfort. The pad is not as thick as some I already have but it is sufficient for comfort without giving unnecessary bulk. There is also a patch of windproof fabric at the front of the shorts.

SIze 38 is a 12.

TP-Link TL-PA251KIT AV200+ Multi-Streaming Powerline Starter Kit with AC Pass Through (UK Plug Only)
Price: 21.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Super easy to use, 16 Jan 2014
These are so easy to use. Plug one in next to your router, connect them together with an ethernet cable, plug the other one near where you want to be able to connect in something else. Job done! That is literally it.

These are great because a socket is built into the device - the socket isn't taken up with the powerline adpator as whatever was already there can be plugged back in.

We have our router plugged directly into the master socket (to avoid interference with a faulty extension line) and so can't have it next to our Sky box. The Sky box needs a hardwired connection to the internet, this starter kit means we can do this very easily.

Recommended, wish I had bought these a long time ago.

Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation - 55 Beige
Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation - 55 Beige
Price: 9.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Light cover and smooth finish, 13 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I usually use a BB cream as I prefer a light cover rather than a thick foundation. This foundation suited me very well as it feels light and smooth. I chose the 55 Beige which is about right for my skin tone (white skin that I don't try and get tanned, but I spend time outside running, walking and cycling. I usually buy a 'medium' BB cream by Garnier).

The creme is very light and goes on with a matt finish. It doesn't feel greasy on and the finish is good enough to cover minor blemishes without feeling heavy or thick. It's lovely a smooth finish that feels dry almost immediately.

It needs a reapplication half-way through a working day, but that is typical for me.

When this runs out I will be buying another.

Beta Adult Dog With Chicken 3 Kg
Beta Adult Dog With Chicken 3 Kg
Offered by upperfarmequestrian
Price: 12.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The dog enjoyed it!, 13 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My dog is an awkward fussy eater. We normally use Nature Diet (a similar style of soft meat product) along with Skinners dried food, but sometimes she just refuses to eat. We tried this food along with Almo Daily Nature food and we didn't get one refusal with what we got to sample. Our dog also has a sensitive tummy and she had no problems on this food.

If you are after a good quality dried food then this is a tasty option, approved by my dog!

Almo Nature Daily Menu in Tetra Chicken & Turkey
Almo Nature Daily Menu in Tetra Chicken & Turkey
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop
Price: 16.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Approval from a fussy eater!, 13 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My dog is an awkward fussy eater. We normally use Nature Diet (a similar style of soft meat product) along with some dried food, but sometimes she just refuses to eat. We didn't get one refusal with the 6 packs we got to sample. Our dog also has a sensitive tummy and she had no problems on this food.

If you are after a good quality soft food which doesn't have unnecessary additives then this is a tasty option!

Finish Quantum Lemon Sparkle 2 x Pack of 40 (80 Dishwasher Tablets)
Finish Quantum Lemon Sparkle 2 x Pack of 40 (80 Dishwasher Tablets)
Price: 18.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Good smell, all in one convenience, 13 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finish powerball are our dishwasher tablet of choice. They produce consistent results in a convenient all-in-one tablet. No need to worry about buying separate rinser or salt, this tablet does it all. Never leaves any residues and has a fresh lemon smell while it is washing. No need to buy extra products to keep the insides of the dishwasher clean either, these tablets keep the machine clean too.

Good quality, good cleaning. Recommended.

Fast Exercise: The simple secret of high intensity training: get fitter, stronger and better toned in just a few minutes a day
Price: 3.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple approach, 13 Jan 2014
The book is easy to follow and is written in an approachable style. It's rather short and does spend a lot of time getting to the point, but it is necessary to do so, so as to present the evidence that backs up the proposed approach to exercise. Interval training is not new, but the overall approach proposed certainly is. There are some very helpful suggestions here and if followed it is an easy solution to help with living and healthy lifestyle. The authors clearly put the exercise in a context of an overall active lifestyle with the healthy eating to match.

As with any programme designed for healthy living, this takes commitment and must be sustained. The great thing is that it shows you that you don't have to train for a marathon to be fit and healthy.

The Every Other Day Diet
The Every Other Day Diet
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, fact and evidence based, 13 Jan 2014
The book is well written in an easy to follow style. Varady is a scientist and bases her writing on her own research and the research of others. The evidence is compelling and the advice on how to follow the diet is well structured. It's also very clear how a maintenance regime will ensure no subsequent weight gain.

Varady doesn't really acknowledge how people with disordered eating or eating disorders will cope on this diet. I know that my eating is disordered and I can overeat substantially. So I feel I do need to keep an eye on my calorie intake during 'feast' days where she says that everyone eats up to 125% of their recommended calorie intake. I am sure that if I wasn't careful I would eat 150%, although even with that amount of intake I should still lose, albeit at a slower rate.

I've started with every-other-day fasting just this week and I couldn't fit in a strict day-on, day-off approach because of commitments (involving food!) I already had in my diary but I did fast for 3 days out of 7 and I lost 3 lbs in that week. It's early days, but initial results are promising. I was also surprised that the fasting days were not as arduous as I was expecting. Yes I was hungry, but it was easy to accept that and not to be tempted. I've found it better for me to eat my one meal in the evening and I intend to keep pursuing this approach until I am back at my fighting weight!

What I would have liked to have seen more of is some additional detail - certain facts are presented that left me wanting to know more. For example, she states that someone who is at a given weight and who has always weighed that amount has a higher metabolic rate than someone of the same weight but who has been overweight and has dieted. I wanted to know if that was a reversible characteristic or that person would always have a dented metabolic rate.

My overall view of this book is that it clearly sets the case for every-other-day fasting (500 cal limit) and provides enough guidance for it to be easy to follow. It also shows how a maintenance fast day (1000 cal) is a sustainable approach.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 8:39 AM GMT

Fly London Womens Sara Black Boots P142417014 3 UK, 36 EU
Fly London Womens Sara Black Boots P142417014 3 UK, 36 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots (but only for size 12 or below), 6 Jan 2014
I've got 3 pairs of Fly boots already and know that their size 8 (EU41) fit my feet really well. I've been pleased with the ankle length boots that I've had previously and know that they last well. The sole on these boots is chunky and very comfortable to walk in. The leather is thick and the build quality is excellent.

I'm 5ft6in and on my legs (which I think are about average length for my height) the boot comes towards the upper part of my calf, about 5 1/2 inches below the mid-point of my knee cap.

I would say that you need to be size 12 or below to fit into these boots comfortably. I see several of the previously posted reviews also comment that these are not a wide fit. I am a size 12 and they fit me right, but wider legs would struggle to fit into these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20