Profile for D. Porteus > Reviews

Content by D. Porteus

D. Porteus (East Yorks, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Red Mist
Red Mist
by Patricia Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Another very average book., 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Red Mist (Hardcover)
I've got all the Scarpetta books and each one of the later books is slightly worse than the one before. 200 pages before anything really happened, I finished the book but it took some doing.

King Of The Mountains [Australian Import]
King Of The Mountains [Australian Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant.........not for the kids!, 1 Dec 2010
Immediate laughter guaranteed with 'Tee Off' and that sets the scene for the whole album, no political correctness here and it just had me howling, particularly 'Give it a try' as Rodney points out "You don't try dick........you try ice cream!" If you like funny jokes, even funnier songs and something thats just really easy to listen to then is for you.

Triumph: Greatest Hits Remixed
Triumph: Greatest Hits Remixed
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars More please., 1 Dec 2010
Triumph haven't been around for a few years now and that's quite sad really. This is an excellent album and a must for every Triumph fan, especially with the DVD to watch, it'd be rude not to buy it.

Showdown: How the Outlaws, Hells Angels and Cops Fought for Control of the Streets
by Jerry Langton

2.0 out of 5 stars My own fault for buying it!, 1 Dec 2010
I'm an avid reader of outlaw biker books and when I saw this it seemed quite good. Unfortunately it's just a book that has been written about subjects that are in many other biker books. If you know nothing about the rise of the Hells Angels in Canada and their subsequent war with the Rock Machine or indeed how the Rock Machine patched over to the Bandidos then this book covers it, but it's pretty boring. A good cure for insomnia!

God And Guns
God And Guns

5.0 out of 5 stars No Skynyrd fan can be without this album, 5 Oct 2009
This review is from: God And Guns (Audio CD)
From the opening bars of the first track, Still Unbroken, this is classic Skynyrd. I only wish they had played this stuff when I saw them recently in Birmingham UK. This Cd is full of tracks that stand up to all of the old stuff and for me 'Little Thing called You' will be a future classic, if it isn't already. Not a bad track on it but if I wanted to be a little critical the last few tracks bring in a bit too much religion which isn't to my taste, particularly in 'Gifted Hands'. That Ain't My America and God And Guns both have a pop at the establishment but the rest are good ol' southern rock at it's best. Brilliant!

Bravo Jubilee
Bravo Jubilee
by Charlie Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 24 Jan 2009
This review is from: Bravo Jubilee (Paperback)
Having read the first two books by Charlie Owen and thoroughly enjoying them I made no hesitation in purchasing this when I saw it advertised. The book starts off very dark with a particularly gruesome murder and having been in the position of searching a house waiting to find something terrible inside I could really put my self right there at the scene. Before long the book turns into the laugh a minute that I expected it to, if there is any police officer, current or retired, or anybody else for that matter that can read this book without crying with laughter, particularly at the probationary officer trying to use the radio to book on duty and then doing a vehicle check on a fleeing hearse, then they must have had a humour bypass. This is a must read.

J is for Judgement (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
J is for Judgement (Kinsey Millhone Mysteries)
by Sue Grafton

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., 26 Nov 2008
I really enjoy this series of books, every single one I have read has been a book that I just couldn't put down. This one is a bit different, there is just something about the story that makes it difficult to get involved in. Kinsey Millhone is a great character and the books are well worth reading but start at 'A is for Alibi' and follow them through in order, if you read this one first it may just put you off.

Out in Bad Standings: Inside the Bandidos Motorcycle Club - The Making of a Worldwide Dynasty
by Edward Winterhalder

3.0 out of 5 stars Aren't I good!, 26 Nov 2008
This is nowhere near the best biker book that I have read, however I did enjoy it. I like true stories so it does score in that department although there is a feeling that I got all the way through the book that says the author has got a chip on his shoulder about no longer being in the club. There is quite a bit of 'I did this' and 'I did that' and that's ok up to a point but he needs to get over it. The book does make a welcome change to reading about the ATF or some other such agency infiltrating the Hells Angels, all of which tell the same story in different ways. There appears to be very few books written about the Bandidos and it does give an insight into the club and how it is run. Well worth a read but I'm not sure it is worth the price, it is now 5 times more expensive than when I bought it, it's good....but not that good.

The Many Sides Of Dave Edmunds: The Greatest Hits And More
The Many Sides Of Dave Edmunds: The Greatest Hits And More

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth listening to., 24 Oct 2008
I wanted this as soon as I saw it advertised on the TV, it is good to listen to and it is worth buying but as usual the best tracks are played on the TV advert, I enjoy the colaboration with Stray Cats and I have played the album more than once but I can't get too enthusiastic about it, overall it's ok.

Lights Out in Tokyo Live
Lights Out in Tokyo Live
Offered by thebookcommunity

5.0 out of 5 stars You've got to hear it!, 24 Oct 2008
I've always been a fan of UFO and I heard this album years ago and then forgot about it. I saw it advertised on Amazon and got it straight away, if you see it buy it, not a bad track on it and fantastic in the car, miss it and miss out.

Page: 1 | 2