Profile for Blogpiper > Reviews

FREEDOM: The End Of The Human Condition
FREEDOM: The End Of The Human Condition
by Jeremy Griffith

1.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy writing style, 6 Jun. 2016
The book screams for decent editing. There are long, convoluted sentences which often seem like rhetoric rather than reason. There is unnecessary use of italic text and block capitals to emphasize points that could be made far better with careful use of sentence structure. I have given up reading the book in its Kindle form as the act of reading it is so infuriating. I may return to it eventually as it is receiving such positive publicity, but there was little in the first 30 pages that I found illuminating or interesting.

Bosch 2608572210 Keyless Chuck 1-10 mm for Bosch Drill Drivers
Bosch 2608572210 Keyless Chuck 1-10 mm for Bosch Drill Drivers

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: it does not fit the entire range of drills claimed in the advert, 14 April 2016
This item is advertised by Amazon as fitting the PSB range of drills. It does not. PSBs have a 12mm fitting bolt, this item has a 10mm thread. Unfortunately, the correct spare part for a PSB 18 VE-2 (2608572225, according to someone I spoke to at Bosch) costs well over £40 on other areas of the Net, and therefore makes our PSB obsolete unless I can cannibalize another drill with a compatible chuck.

Gardman guaranteed squirrel proof wild bird seed feeder
Gardman guaranteed squirrel proof wild bird seed feeder

2.0 out of 5 stars The design deters squirrels but wastes seeds, 12 Jan. 2016
The mechanism of this feeder does confuse the squirrels that visit our garden, so it meets one of its objectives well. Where it falls down is that small birds scatter much of its contents onto the ground beneath, thereby feeding a flock of pigeons that have now taken up residence on our roof. The modest volume of this feeder's cylinder also means that it has to be refilled too frequently. We have recently given up on the feeder and have bought a more standard replacement where the cylinder is made of strong metal mesh, and which has a larger capacity. We're pleased at how well it discourages the squirrels, and that there is much less residue for the pigeons to eat.

Lexicon
Lexicon

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Lexicon (Kindle Edition)
I bought Lexicon on the basis of good reviews on the Kindle site. I persevered with it because it was clearly leading to a conclusion, and I was curious to discover what that would be. I've read plenty of odd books before now, but I felt that Lexicon was trying too hard to be clever, and that it ran out of steam in a protracted collection of chapters in the middle. It did not live up to my expectations.

Newmowa Rapid Dual Charger for Sony NP-BY1, NP-BX1,NP-BX1/M8 and Sony HDR-AZ1,Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V, DSC-HX300, DSC-HX400,DSC-RX1, DSC-RX1R, DSC-RX100, DSC-RX100 II, DSC-RX100M II, DSC-WX300, HDR-AS10, HDR-AS15, HDR-AS30V, HDR-AS100V, HDR-AS100VR, HDR-CX240, HDR-MV1, HDR-PJ275 (Dual Charger)
Offered by NewmowaUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 12 Jan. 2016
I think there may be a fault with the charging of my Sony RX1002, and so I bought this charger so that I did not have to make an immediate journey to the camera-repair shop. The Newmowa is excellent: it costs very little, and it charges the battery rapidly to full capacity.

Thomastik Vision Viola Strings, Single C String, VI24, 4/4 Size, Synthetic Core, Pure Silver Wound
Offered by Tobias Pöhling Violins

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 12 Jan. 2016
I've used Dominant strings until now and thought I'd try Vision just for a change. Typically for a Thomastik, the string settled quickly on my viola with excellent tuning stability inside a couple of days of playing and stretching. I find that the tone of the Vision (C string) is more edgy than that of the upper-string Dominants. The tone is less warm than the Dominants' but the articulation of notes is cleaner and clearer than theirs, and that may be something I grow to like. After a few days' use, I think I prefer the Dominant sound, though I shall keep playing the Vision quite happily until it disintegrates.

HEADLAMP BEAM DEFLECTORS HEAD LIGHT CONVERTORS ADAPTOR EURO DRIVING
HEADLAMP BEAM DEFLECTORS HEAD LIGHT CONVERTORS ADAPTOR EURO DRIVING
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good bargain in our experience, 1 Aug. 2015
I've been using the more expensive version of this type of deflector successfully for many years, but was attracted by a price that didn't look like a rip-off (as are the well-known brands). It was probably not a good idea — the driver's side deflector fell off inside the first day, and I had to magic a replacement out of a piece of duct tape (which worked perfectly well). Duct tape will do in future!

BAGBASE RIPPER WALLET (FRENCH NAVY)
BAGBASE RIPPER WALLET (FRENCH NAVY)
Offered by COOZO

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with the wallet, 1 Aug. 2015
Perfect replacement for a similar wallet that lasted me more than 10 years. The design of the coin section makes it awkward to fit my extra card-holding insert, but this is not a bad thing — I should not have been keeping my bank card with ID such as my driving licence, so I have now shifted them to a separate small card holder.

EU Flag Car Art Bumper Sticker Weather resistant
EU Flag Car Art Bumper Sticker Weather resistant
Offered by cheekymonkeydesigns2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Good EU Sticker, 1 Aug. 2015
The blue is not quite the standard EU colour, and the sticker is a bit smaller than I'd expected, but it's just a sticker. Who cares?

Twisted Agendas
Twisted Agendas
by Damian McNicholl

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good tale, somewhat impaired by poor English., 1 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Twisted Agendas (Paperback)
The novel is an enjoyable page-turner with a good plot. It centres on the arrival of Danny from Northern Ireland who has decided to make a break from the cloying pressures of family life at home. The plot is highly credible both in terms of interpersonal relationships and the politics of family life, and of the politics and paranoia of security at the time of the story (in 2000). The writing is marred by too much bad grammar and other problems which proper editing should have corrected, but the writer has real talent, and I would be happy to read him again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8