Profile for Berit H. Grude > Reviews

Content by Berit H. Grude

Berit H. Grude "Nico" (Norway)

The Last Fighting Tommy:  The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches
The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch, the Only Surviving Veteran of the Trenches
by Harry Patch

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 8 Oct 2007
Just so you know, this is my first ever review on Amazon.co.uk, so bear with me.

I've read all of Van Emden's books, everything from Tickled To Death To Go, to Last Man Standing, up to The Last Fighting Tommy. This book is probably the most personal account on a soldier/veteran's life that have ever come out from the Great War.

For those looking for an soldier's account during his time at the Western Front, read Last Man Standing (which is a brilliant book throughout).
If you're looking for one veteran's account, his whole life, how war changed his life, collected in one book, get this one.

"When they launched the Somerset Poppy Appeal, they had a great big cannon that shot the poppies out of the muzzle. Of course everybody jumped in shock, but Harry didn't stir a muscle. He just said, 'You haven't heard the guns like I have.'"

Strongly recommended.

Also, make sure you pick up his other book, 'Famous' when it's availible for sale.

The War The Infantry Knew: 1914-1919: A Chronicle of Service in France and Belgium (History Greats)
by Captain J.C. Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Question., 28 Aug 2006
I have read many WW1 books. The Unknown Soldier by Neil Hanson, The Trench, Britains Last Tommies and Boy Soldiers of the Great War, all by Richard van Emden. I have read Goodbye to all that by Robert Greaves, Memories of a Fox-Hunting Man and Memories of an Infantry Officer, both by Siegfrid Sassoon. My question is, will I miss something if I DONT read this book? I've read the reviews by readers etc, and I must say it looks promising. I just want to know if it's worth buying when I've read those other books. The only negativity I can find on WW1 books is that its very repitive. I mean, most soldiers experienced the same in the trenches, except for special events, episodes and the likes. So I thought I'd ask for some opinions to prevent myself from buying 700 pages of stuff I've already read.

Answers will be much appreciated.

Nico from Norway