Profile for Sylvia p > Reviews

Content by Sylvia p

Sylvia p "Sylvia p" (London)

Page: 1 | 2
The Spinning Heart
The Spinning Heart
by Donal Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one book..., 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Spinning Heart (Paperback)
Looking back over the year, this book is one that has stayed with me, I remember the characters and story lines clearly even tho I read it almost a year ago. At the time I was impressed at the authors clear command of language, and loved the way the book was structurally laid out. I donated a copy to an institution in the U.S. and it's been read and loved there too: it's dealing with the big universal issues of father/sons, bullying, love and marriage, online games, unemployment, etc.

Amphibia Dry Mat (Pink)
Amphibia Dry Mat (Pink)
Offered by Sports Factory Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars No gym nasties, 11 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Amphibia Dry Mat (Misc.)
Let's be honest, the big fear at swimming pools and gyms is that your kids or yourself will get verrucas. I bought these mats, one each, so we will stand on them instead of the changing room floor and so far so good. Also they are soft and comfy and dry quickly, and come in an easy seal bag, and "look cool" my daughter says. Now their friends are getting them, we have started a trend! Btw mine are blue so they're not all pink.

Lionel Asbo: State of England
Lionel Asbo: State of England
by Martin Amis

4.0 out of 5 stars Solzhenitsyn, 16 Jun. 2013
Having purchased this book yesterday morning, I read all day and into the night, and then I had nightmares. The story is horrible but it's written beautifully ( most of the time; there were parts that needed editing) and the writer has the ability to make the words dance. Its the juxtaposition of the plod plod of everyday living with the descriptions of acute beauty thats almost heartbreaking. But my enjoyment of the book was compromised early on as I could not stop thinking of the fate of the boy who disappeared, Rory, who haunted the book for me. Why didn't Des have more of a guilty conscience about him? Wasnt he complicit? Whenever I read a book by M Amis I'm aware that the impact of Times Arrow is influencing my reading in ways I don't fully understand: my first thought when I pick up an Amis book is, this is by the writer of Times Arrow, and then I read it in that context.

Technic Cheek Tint
Technic Cheek Tint

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as..., 27 May 2013
This review is from: Technic Cheek Tint (Personal Care)
The only question is , how does it compare to the original...it's not too bad and a fraction of the cost.

French Connection Unisex Quartz Watch with Purple Dial Analogue Display and Purple Plastic or PU Bracelet FC1128WO

1.0 out of 5 stars Big piece of plastic, 27 May 2013
Such a rip off, the strap, which is cheap plastic along with the rest of it, is huge and cannot be adjusted except by posting it and 5 pounds to the seller. The face is huge, about 3 inches wide, it's rediculous. I'll use it as a smallclock then dump it.

City of Bohane
City of Bohane
by Kevin Barry

5.0 out of 5 stars Impac, 9 April 2013
This review is from: City of Bohane (Paperback)
Good luck Kevin , I hope you win the impac award. A very enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next book.

Bertie Women's Molly May Grey Boots A11L/Su71/Lbd0029 5 UK
Bertie Women's Molly May Grey Boots A11L/Su71/Lbd0029 5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 1 April 2013
Pretty but so hard to take on and off, also quite a heavy boot. If you buy these you must spray them first, delicate suede etc

At Home in Ireland
At Home in Ireland
by Mary Leland

5.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: At Home in Ireland (Hardcover)
Finally finished this Christmas gift book.
It's gorgeous, from the pictures to the written word. The only problem now is I wish to redecorate throughout!

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

2.0 out of 5 stars Its all manipulation, 20 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
She's manipulating him, he's manipulating her, they're both manipulating the media. The writer is manipulating the reader. And when this reader realised she was being manipulated, she got a thrill and decided to go along for the ride. But...I believe the writer was manipulated too...it went from being an "honest" book to being a film script. And now I'm being manipulated to give it a yes or a no rating, because everyone knows too many 5stars needs a balance. A few haters and they're....literally....in business. Is Gillian Flynn even a woman? Theres enough misogyny here to wonder. No spoilers but.... Why wouldn't a supreme planner not plan for a suspicious person to steal her money? Also, it began to read like, every observation that the author ever wrote down was included. Relevant or not, if it seemed new or in any way original, it was going into this book. A good book, but needed ferocious editing to make it great.

Jerusalem
Jerusalem
by Yotam Ottolenghi

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Jerusalem (Hardcover)
This book is incredibly pleasing on many levels.
First, it looks and feels gorgeous, the cover has a texture almost velvety. It's a large, hardbacked, sturdy book.
When you turn the pages the pictures are simply jumping off the pages. Vivid colours, sumptuous colourful dishes.
The recipes are manageable, the lists of ingredients not intimidating, and the reader is excited to get cracking In the kitchen. I've made Roasted Aubergine with fried onion and chopped lemon...yum. Also the shakshuka, even tho I couldn't source one of the ingredients it was stillmfevine.
Then we come to the history element, yes this is also a history/ geography book. For example there's a couple of pages on...hummus wars. I want to visit Israel after reading this book, but even more I fully intend to visit the restaurant in London.

Page: 1 | 2