Profile for I. White > Reviews

Content by I. White

I. White "snowy1234" (leicester, UK)

Exoplanets and Alien Solar Systems
Exoplanets and Alien Solar Systems
by Tahir Yaqoob

5.0 out of 5 stars The first real Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, 9 Jun 2012
I first came across the work of Dr Yaqoob when I bought his book on helping my son with maths (see amazon review). It was with some surprise that I came across this book when I searched his name to show a friend where they could buy a copy of the math tuition book for themselves. I decided to give this book a go as he has a very easy writing style and this helped massively with the maths comprehension so I figured - what the hell maybe he can help me understand what happening 'out there' too. Well I was not disappointed. Dr Yaqoob really knows how to talk to us 'not so clever' in a way that gets an understanding of the science across without the extremely intimidating use of countless Greek symbols and high level algebra that other science writers seem to wallow in. I could have asked for a few more pictures but, given the subject material, these would have to be 'artists impressions' so their omission is understandable. I particularly like the way that he will stop and develop ideas and concepts, which really gave it the impression of being a true 'guidebook' (I suppose this makes it one of the first true Hitch-hikers Guides to the Galaxay available). In reflection that is what makes it so good 'DON'T PANIC' could be written on the back cover as you are in safe hands.

Wild and Wolf Beano Pop Art Water Bottle, Stainless Steel, 600 ml
Wild and Wolf Beano Pop Art Water Bottle, Stainless Steel, 600 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Beano Fun, 28 Oct 2011
My Son loves this. Robust but light, it is the ideal way to get him to take his own drink to school.

Self Amalgamating Tape 10m Roll by electrosmart®
Self Amalgamating Tape 10m Roll by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what is says on the tin!, 3 Aug 2011
Very useful for many jobs where mechanical strength and waterproofing are required and when stretched a little goes a long way.

Satgear Mux Magician Digital Wideband TV 50 Element Aerial Ultra High Gain Kit-
Satgear Mux Magician Digital Wideband TV 50 Element Aerial Ultra High Gain Kit-

3.0 out of 5 stars Are you receiving me?, 3 Aug 2011
Let me explain the background before I review the product. I live in Leicester. this gives me two options for a transmitter to aim at. Sutton Coldfield (Just outside Brum and broadcasting West Mids news) or Waltham (Just north of Melton and broadcasting East Mids News). On the analog system S/C broadcasts at 1000Kw where as Wal' broadcasts at just 250Kw. This historically meant that, like me, people on my side of the city would aim at S/C even though you got the wrong regional news. I had gone over to cable for my TV and broadband anyway but was still using my traditional aerial connection through my PC to get Freeview. On a good day my traditional aerial would receive BBC channels at 80-100% as with the majority of main ITV channels but would not receive 60% of the other channels (like 'Dave') at all.

This summer I had to have my house re-roofed so I thought this would be an ideal time for me to swap over my aerial to a digital one whilst the roofers had the scaffolding up so as I could get the rest of the Freeview channels. Upon taking down my traditional aerial I found that I had a very corroded connection so this could have been affecting my reception anyway. What I also found was that using the Satgear Mux I could not get any BBC channels to work when aimed at the S/C Transmitter (I rather liked watching E.Mids news on cable and W.Mids on Freeview), although I could now get all the other Freeview channels at nigh on full strength. When I redirected to Waltham I could receive every channel (inc BBC) at near full strength. Further research by me at this point revealed that both S/C and Wal' are only broadcasting digital at 8Kw (yes that's right just - 8Kw or the equivalent of eight kettles of boiling water) although both will broadcast at 250Kw after the full switch over. This whole process has therefore raised some interesting questions for me.

- Why could I get BBC but not the majority other Freeview channels on my old aerial but have this whole situation reversed after installing the Mux, when aimed at S/C?
- How much was the corroded junction on my old aerial affecting my reception anyway?
- If my old aerial connection had been ok, would I have needed a new digital type aerial at all after they increase the digital broadcast power by over 3000% from 8 to 250Kw at the full switch over?

As for the aerial itself - it seems very well constructed and robust. The fixing kit is useful although the 10m cable length is too short for the vast majority of external applications unless you live in a Bungalow (20m would be far more appropriate with little if any additional cost implication). This is the main reason for my average rating but the issues over the problems with the BBC signal from Sutton Coldfield also contribute to the overall score.

Finally - as I had the roofers in, it made sense to replace my aerial and the Mux seems to be performing as should be expected when now aimed at the Waltham Transmitter. However, having now found out about the whole digital switch over process and given other circumstances, I would wait and see what my Freeview signal strength would be on my traditional aerial after the full switch over before purchasing any new digital type aerial at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 15, 2012 6:48 PM GMT

What Can I Do to Help My Child with Math When I Don't Know Any Myself?
What Can I Do to Help My Child with Math When I Don't Know Any Myself?
by Tahir Yaqoob

5.0 out of 5 stars Sage Advice, 8 April 2011
Don't be fooled by the title - this is not just for parents but I think this is a great resource for students, teachers and tutors too. The book cleverly splits the subject down into small sections each aimed at identifying and then solving key issues known to cause stress and problems for those who feel nervous and lack confidence around the subject of math. In this context one of the books major strengths is its frank and honest approach and use of plain language. It really does tell it like it is and doesn't pull any punches when discussing any topic from why we need to learn Math through to avoiding distractions when working.
Early chapters allow readers to appreciate the fundamental mechanics of learning mathematics and how to maximise the understanding of basic principles. This section even includes a guide to finding and assessing possible tutors, before moving on to exam preparation techniques for all levels. The book then provides an extremely useful `dictionary' of math terms and increasingly challenging practice `drills' which build to reinforce previous learning.
Overall Dr Yaqoob gives a real insight into how best to overcome some of the major problems that parents, students and even experienced teachers experience whilst trying to teach Math. Used in conjunction with targeted examples and past exam papers this book has helped both me and my two sons overcome our fears of the subjects and the dreaded `class test'.

TeckNet EAGET 8GB Micro USB 2.0 High Speed Flash Drive - Waterproof, High shock resistance, Dustproof, Antistatic, Antimagnetic and Heat resisting
Offered by TECKNET

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - But, 20 Jun 2010
This is a smart little peice of tech kit. The outer case is made from cast metal and this holds the memory stick which swivels out for use. I have only had it a couple of weeks so I canot comment on longevity. The reason I bought it was my 2Gb kingsway got trashed by the keys on my key ring after about two months and I am hopping that this being smaller and hopfully more robust will be up to the job. However, my only niggle is that it does not lock itself into its housing. Often when I look at it on my key ring, the memory stick connections have swiveled out of the holder and they are exposed to damage from my keys. It really would not have taken much design thought to engineer some system to hold the stick closed when not in use.

Best Film Classics 100
Best Film Classics 100

5.0 out of 5 stars Total value for money, 1 Mar 2010
This review is from: Best Film Classics 100 (Audio CD)
I'll keep this short and sweet. For the money you cannot go wrong with this set of CDs. I first came across them on Spotify and was so impressed that I bought them to own. Nuff Said.

Britannica A Level: Maths (PC)
Britannica A Level: Maths (PC)
Offered by idigicon

4.0 out of 5 stars A Useful A level resource, 5 Dec 2009
This is a useful tool for any student revising for their A Level. It is not as detailed as a textbook would be when explaining the basic principles or going through worked examples but instead just outlines what the priciples are. Each element of the course is accompanied by a quick multiple choice set of questions and two examination board questions. It is a shame that there are not more of the latter as it is practice that makes perfect and to have three of four years worth of specific topic related questions would have made this far more valuable (You'll just have to trawl the internet examboard websites for those instead). I feel it would also have been better if the mark schemes had been in a seperate area instead of immediately following on from the questions, this being too much of a temptation to view instead of the inevitable struggle first.