Profile for static-sensitive > Reviews

Content by static-sensitive

static-sensitive (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Black (Manufacturer Refurbished)

2.0 out of 5 stars This is great in a lot of ways, 10 Aug 2014
This is great in a lot of ways. I'm giving it a two because:

1. The audio jack connection has come loose so the right audio channel has cut out. I read elsewhere this is a common problem with this device. This is a serious design flaw caused by bad mechanical design. Very annoying. Far from the only MP3 player to suffer from this problem of course, part of the problem is the bad design of the 3.5 mm audio connector itself.

2. There's a limit on the number of files you can store on it without it becoming unusably slow. OK for me since I mostly use it for podcasts at the moment. Installing rockbox fixes that, but that's a pain to do.

Bed Bug Beware - an easy to understand guide to bedbugs, their prevention and control

2.0 out of 5 stars Thin like a bed bug, 10 Aug 2014
Less of a book, more of an extended leaflet. About 30 screensful (on my PC), much of which is images.

Certainly one of the authors is well-known and knows something about the subject, and what is there in the "book" I believe reasonably accurately describes current scientific understanding of bed bugs. However, the information in there is much, much thinner than you would hope for a practical guide for somebody trying to prevent or certainly treat for bed bugs. There is much better in-depth information to be found on websites like bedbugger.com, provided by the same people.

Very amateur production, but to be honest I don't much care about the appearance. The - very obvious - lack of an professional editor is more of a problem.

Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface
Behringer UCA222 U-Control Ultra-Low Latency 2 In/2 Out USB Audio Interface

4.0 out of 5 stars For hifi headphones use the RCA output, 22 Feb 2014
Like almost all of these things (unless you pay a lot), this only has a 3.5 mm audio connection. So for big hifi headphones that have a 6.35 mm / 1/4 inch jack you'll need an adaptor of some kind.

DON'T use the 3.5 mm audio connector with a 3.5 to 6.35 mm adaptor. They don't work well because a lot of mechanical stress is put on the connections, and you'll find unless you are more careful than me, the sound will start dropping out.

Instead, use a male RCA to female 6.35 mm adaptor, which is much more mechanically sound. For some reason it took me a while to figure that out. Here's one:

Compatible MLT105L Toner Cartridge for Samsung ML-1910 ML-1915 ML-2525 ML-2525W ML-2580N SCX-4600 SCX-4623F SCX-4623GN SF-650 (MLT-D1052L/ELS) ML1910 ML1915 ML2525 ML2525W ML2580N SCX4600 SCX4623F SCX4623CN SF650, 2500 Pages
Offered by ECS Inks

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember to pull out the plastic strip, 22 Aug 2013
There's a plastic strip that you have to pull out before you use it.

If you don't do that, you'll get nothing but a fuzzy blur of ink on the page when you try to print.

Having done that, working fine so far, haven't printed many pages yet. The output is a very dense black.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 1:43 PM BST

Salter Magic Lens Electronic Scale
Salter Magic Lens Electronic Scale

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, precise, works fine, 2 Jun 2013
Easier to weigh things precisely than the old cheap analog scales I had.

If you're adding multiple ingredients to a bowl, you do need to remember to keep it turned on by giving the bowl a little push from time to time so it registers the weight reading changing. Otherwise, you end up with mixed-up ingredients and no easy way to finish weighing out the last ingredient you were adding.

I haven't needed to change the batteries yet, after more than six months.

The liquid volume thing is handy when you want to measure something in imperial volume units and don't have a measuring jug available.

Dymo LetraTag LT-100T Qwerty Label Maker Plus Tape
Dymo LetraTag LT-100T Qwerty Label Maker Plus Tape

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd bought one years ago, 2 Jun 2013
Bought this after reading David Allen's Getting Things Done. Get the book, buy one of these, do what he says.

It has a QWERTY keyboard and it's reasonably compact (though a little smaller would be better, for me). Labels are clear and the borders around the text on each label aren't excessively large (so you won't be irritated by paying for empty label tape). Easy to get hold of replacement tape. Peeling the backing off the labels is easy. Easy to find your way around the functions - I didn't have to read the manual.

It gets a reasonable life out of batteries (4 x AA, I'm using 2600 mAh ones, haven't needed to replace yet after 3 months).

Leitz Plus Letter Tray Robust Polystyrene High-sided with Extra Label-space Black Ref 52270095

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to lift to get at papers, 2 Jun 2013
Much more lightweight than it looks in the photo, but I actually like the fact that they're so easy to lift to get at papers. So while you can't see papers well unless they're on the top tray, it's easy to just lift off the trays on the top of it if needed. I have one drawer at the bottom plus two of these and one of the thin ones at the top - I find that works well except I'm too lazy to use the drawer, though it works fine: maybe I'll use it later. I have a feeling more trays in the stack might be annoying to keep stacked, since they don't register together all that firmly.

On the other hand, if you're expecting them to stack firmly in place, you'll be annoyed by them. They do stack, but it's easy to dislodge them. Those aren't heavy rubber feet in the photo, just thin vacuum-formed plastic molded to that sort of shape (or something like that).

These big ones aren't actually all that high: they look taller to me in the photo than stacked up in front of me. Though I only use less than a third of the space, I think they're about the right height to get at papers.

David Mitchell: Back Story
David Mitchell: Back Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine, 2 Jun 2013
As David might say himself, "it's fine".

I found it less funny than he is on telly - as I suppose you'd expect from something this length - but I certainly enjoyed it. I'd say that you'll read some of his "would I lie to you" stories before seeing them on TV (there was one just recently), but who cares? Part of the joke now is that they've run out of stories!

Revolutionary, Patented SLEEP MASTER (tm) Sleep Mask. Worlds most effective light and noise reduction package. Helps with snoring partners , insomnia , shift work , jet lag for truly restful sleep. Prevents disturbed rest ensures peaceful slumber
Offered by sarz92

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, adjustable, stays on, 2 Jun 2013
Comfortable and seems much less apt to slip off than the one I got from Tescos which I used before. The velcro makes it easy to adjust to suit comfort / tightness and the size of your head (I've got a big head!).

I do often wake with it no longer covering my eyes, but I'm pretty sure that's because I take it off myself when I'm half asleep. I seem to wake later than with the Tescos one I used before, so I think it helps.

Edited to add: over time, I've found it comes off less often. I've "caught myself" several times sleepily taking it off when I wake early, so I think getting out of that habit is the reason it comes off less now. I'd emphasize that despite the fact it doesn't stay over my eyes 100% of the time, it certainly makes a real difference, and I wouldn't want to be without it.

Goldtouch Go! Travel Keyboard Qwerty UK
Goldtouch Go! Travel Keyboard Qwerty UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice keyboard, serious reliability issues, 18 May 2013
Ironically, I love these keyboards. They have low force keys with a split layout. I'd never want to go back to a non-split keyboard. However, they seem to have a serious problem with reliability.

I had three of them stop working within a period of a couple of months or so, even though I never move them (one had USB connector damage, but I don't think that was the cause). Others have reported the same problems on the US site (amazon.com - this product has several listings there, so you might not see the bad reviews on the first page you see). Wrote to them and got no response. Poor.

As far as I know the main competitor for this keyboard, the Kinesis Freestyle 2, doesn't suffer from these reliability problems. I prefer the Goldtouch keyboard in other respects (it's smaller and lighter, easier to fit on your lap), but if the Kinesis works and this does not, it's not a hard choice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3