ARRAY(0xa62efd14)

Profile for Mette Johansen > Reviews

Content by Mette Johansen

Mette Johansen "Meadow" (Denmark)

Page: 1 | 2
Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Tales From Earthsea [DVD]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki

3.0 out of 5 stars An inbetween, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Tales From Earthsea [DVD] (DVD)
I've read the books twice and I love them. The language is wonderfull and it's a great adult fantasy novel collection. I bought the film knowing that even the makers of Howls mooving castle (my favurite film!) would have a hard time impressing me here. And it was still sort of a dissapointment. I felt a great deal was missing because the tale about Therru and Tenar is left out so you don't "feel" with these caracters. Moreover I found the film confusing, jumping so quickly throught the story - if I hadn't read the book I don't think it would have made much sense.
I think it would have benefitted from being more than one film. Now it is to flawed to satisfy a reader of the book, and to superficial for someone who hasn't read the book, to understand the story. It's sort of stuck between the two.
However, it is still a very nice film, and despite it's flaws I did enjoy it. If you liked Howls moving castle, you will probably like this as well but don't expect it to be the same. And if you haven't read the book, do so!Tales from Earthsea

Aquapac 420 Hard Lens Camera Case for Mini Digital Cameras with a zoom lens
Aquapac 420 Hard Lens Camera Case for Mini Digital Cameras with a zoom lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution!, 20 Feb 2009
I bought this for my Sony Cybershot camera to take it snorkling in the Caribien. I was not dissapointed. I took great underwater pictures, it worked superbly! I'm glad I spendt the extra money to get the model that fit zoom cameras, i tried turning on the camera with the lens directly in contact with the plastic and it wouldn't open.
I tested it down to 4-5 meters and had no problems. The buttons were all manageble, even the turning ones with only a little difficulty.
Only problem was that I had to make sure the lens was not in the edge of the hard lens because the rim would show on the pictures. This problem was however easely solved by placing the camera and lowering it in the water where the pressure vacume packed it and made it hard for the camera to moove around.
I can absolutely recomend this!

My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hayao Miyazaki

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Howls moving castle, more childish, 29 Jun 2008
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
I was hoping to get a great fairytale like story with a touch of darknes, but this story was much more childish, and I was a bit dissapointet.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2008 5:13 PM BST

Howl's Moving Castle [DVD] [2005]
Howl's Moving Castle [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Chieko Baishô

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite animated movie!, 16 Sep 2007
I love the story and the animations, it is so great! Most of all, I love the way it makes me feel.

Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Pan's Labyrinth (2 Disc Set) [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Doug Jones
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark wonderful fairytale, 7 Aug 2007
I loved the film from the narrating presentation in the beginning, the deep male voice presenting the fairytale beginning in gorgeus Spanish was just the beginning of a thrilling - rather twisted fairytale. If you have read - and liked - The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly, I don't think you will be any bit dissapointet seeing this!

Pride and Prescience (Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery)
Pride and Prescience (Mr & Mrs Darcy Mystery)
by Carrie Bebris
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, and that's big :), 9 Oct 2006
I bought this book mostly for fun, I'm a real Pride and Predjudice (the BBC series) fan and I was reluctant to see my favourite classic's main carracters being dragged through a sequal, ecspecially one not written by the original auther. It wasn't the great big masterpiece, but I didn't feel Darcy, Lizzy or the others where exploited in any way, and I enjoyed the little mystery very much, in fact I must admit that I had a hard time putting it down sometimes :)

Dragon's Tapestry (Northern Lights Young Novels)
Dragon's Tapestry (Northern Lights Young Novels)
by Martine Bates

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fantasy - all you expect with dragons, magic and quests, 9 Oct 2006
I love the three books by Martine Bates. We start out when the main carecter Marwen is a girl struggeling with being orfined and considdered soulless, furthermore Marwen has magic skills which makes the people fear her this shows as hate towards the little girl.

Marwen gets in to trouble early in her life, her lack of knowledge about magic condems her to a quest to make things right after a careless spell. On her way to solve her quest Marwen meets kindness, love, jealusy and as she gets to know herself, she begins her transformation into a great sorcerer.

I can highly recomend these books, Martine Bates writes beautifully, I was exspecially capured by her poetry like writing - she weaves words beautifully. Read it if you love fantasy, you will not be dissapointed!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, strange and it broadens your mind!, 9 Oct 2006
Reading this book was a strange experience, I'm more into the fantastic stories, so stepping into a world as seen from the autism boy Christopher.

I liked how honest it is, great writing, you really get an idea of how confusing the world seems from his eyes.

The Book of Lost Things
The Book of Lost Things
by John Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairytale for adults, 9 Oct 2006
I wish I could give 3½ stars, it's not quite 4 but it's bette than 3. I loved the way it seems like an innocent little story, but really it's a twisted fairytale with alternative endings to the "happy ever after". I really enjoyd the book, once started it was hard to put down, but then again it wasn't one of those books you're dying to get home to.

Above average, and as already commented, somewhat Brothers Grimm the movie, style, so go for it if you liked that.

Postsecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives
Postsecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives
by Frank Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it out and feel normal, 23 July 2006
I bought this book as soon as it was scheduled to be printed and waited for a few months exited to read all the odd, sad, wonderful and horrifying secrets of other people.

I have been to the website at least a 100 times, it is so comforting to read secrets that resembles your own, it makes you feel more normal :)

Go visit the website if you don't know the postcards, if you like it buy the book - it's that simple.

Page: 1 | 2