Profile for jif001 > Reviews

Content by jif001

jif001 (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
TP-Link TL-PA551KIT AV500+ Gigabit Powerline Adapter with AC Pass Through Starter Kit
Offered by MoreFrom

1.0 out of 5 stars Two Quid Too Much, 13 Oct 2014
At the time of writing these are on sale for £5002. Yes, five thousand and two pounds. The extra two quid is over the top if you ask me. and for that reason I'm awarding only one star for atrocious value for money.

Get a grip Amazon!

dodocool Automatic Tweeze men and women Facial Body Hair Remover Epilator for lip chin knees cheeks toes underarms
Offered by douself

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gadget, 29 May 2014
I can only assume that those who give this bad reviews are using it incorrectly. It is directional, as it says in the instructions - hold it at 90 degrees with the logo and switch facing away from you.

Anyway, for me it's robust and effective and I bought one for a friend! If you're a gentleman of a certain age and suffering with that pesky ear foliage, this is perfect!

OnceAll 2680mAh Replacement High-Capacity Gold Battery for iPhone 4S
OnceAll 2680mAh Replacement High-Capacity Gold Battery for iPhone 4S
Offered by GF-TECHNO

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the stated capacity, 2 Mar 2014
This is a 1420mAh battery, not 2680mAh. See reviews of the iPhone 4 (not 4S) version before you buy it

iPhone 4 high powered replacement battery 2680mAh
iPhone 4 high powered replacement battery 2680mAh

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake - Not the stated capacity, 2 Mar 2014
This is misleading - as another reviewer has said, this is not a 2680mAh battery. Look closely at the label. It says 3.7v, 5.25Wh - the same as others listed here. Using those figures you can calculate the true mAh:

Wh = mAh x V/1000

so:

mAh = 1000 x Wh/V = 1000 x 5.25/3.7 = 1420mAh

Google 'Calculate mAh' to see for yourself.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 April 2013
After buying a duff battery for my HP G62 here once before (not Anker), I was dubious about this but took a chance because of the reviews. I needn't have worried. I bought the 8800mAh version and have clocked it at 4.5 hours of use before I had to plug-in the charger (at 10% power left). Can't beat that. The high-capacity one is chunky and sticks out well below the base of the laptop, but I like that because it allows air to circulate under the case...
...which means heat dissipates better
...which means the fan runs slower
...which means it uses less power
...which means the battery lasts longer!

You Rock Guitar YRG-1000 Gen2
You Rock Guitar YRG-1000 Gen2

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a guitar, 29 Mar 2013
I've had this a few weeks so thought I'd record some initial observations...

You shouldn't think of this as a guitar, but as an instrument with guitar-like characteristics. It does some things a guitar can do, it does some things a guitar can't do, and it can't do some things a guitar can do. If you're a guitar player you'll hit the ground running with it, but you'll need to learn some new skills and suspend some existing ones.

Why it's Not a Guitar:

The 'strings' fill the gap between the 'bridge' and the 'pickup' but they go no further. The neck has no strings at all, just raised rubbery string imitations. These are surprisingly easy to fret in the normal way though, and very playable. They are effectively switches telling the instrument which note you've fretted. Couple that with the string you've twanged and you'll get a note to sound.

Although you can do pull-offs to a fretted string, you can't pull off to an open string like you can on a guitar. I assume this is because if you pull off to a fretted note you're changing from one switch to a lower switch. An open string is effectively all-switches-off so is different. It seems a disadvantage until you consider that if pull-offs to open strings worked you'd get the open strings sounding every time you lifted a finger off the fretboard, and that would make it unusable. Pulling off to an open string is a skill you need to suspend and find a new way to get that note.

You can't bend the strings because there are no strings to bend. You can, though, simulate a string bend by pulling up on the whammy bar. String bending is another skill you need to suspend, and bending with the whammy bar is a new one you may need to learn.

It's made from plastic, feels cheap, and looks cheap. But that misses the point. It's basically a MIDI controller and in a sense is no worse than all those cheap plastic MIDI keyboards you can find. You wouldn't baulk at a plastic keyboard, would you? There is no string tension to resist, and no resonance to deliver, so plastic is the obvious choice, and it keeps the cost down. Nevertheless I've knocked a star off for the cheap look!

You can't get your guitar to sound like a flute, or a harpsichord, or a drumkit, or ... etc. I think you get the idea there...

It's unforgiving if your technique is even slightly sloppy. If you accidentally brush a string on a guitar you probably won't notice because it will sound at low volume and be drowned out. Not so here. Touching an incorrect note can easily make it sound as loud as the rest, so you will hear a lot of erroneous notes if you're not careful. This is not necessarily a bad thing, because it will encourage you to tidy up your playing.

You can use altered tunings without turning a tuning peg (for there are none - in fact there's no headstock). It has many altered tunings built-in, and you can define your own.

It has an interesting 'Tap' mode. With this you use the neck for tapping without plucking the strings, and you can do two-handed tapping (if you're that dextrous). Have a look on YouTube for demos. There's a bloke there who does some impressive stuff with tapping on this instrument. Yes you can tap on a guitar, but I bet you can't get as much out of it as you can here.

Other Observations:

The number of tweaks you can make is bewildering. Hook it up to a PC by USB and you can use a control panel (downloaded from the manufacturer) to tweak just about any parameter. You can download the manual to see exactly what you can do, and I'd recommend you do that. The degree of control is excellent. The string tension (what there is of it - they make no musical sound) can be adjusted to your taste as well. Tweaking will no doubt help avoid those bum notes I mentioned, but I've not got that far yet.

It has built-in sounds but, in common with MIDI devices loaded with standard MIDI instruments, they are a bit weak and tinny. Very useful for practising or just mucking about though, and there are a few nice ones. It really comes into it's own when hooked up to a decent sound generator. I connected it to a Novation A Station synthesiser, and went through the patches. I connected the output from that to a DigiTech JamMan and layered different instruments into an unusual rendition of Hotel California. Great fun.

There are no latency issues, or at least I experienced none. Also no tracking issues. If you've ever tried a MIDI pickup on a guitar you'll know what I mean. None of that messing about here.

The Bottom Line:

Don't think of this as a guitar - it's a guitar-like instrument that opens up a new world of sound for a guitarist.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2013 8:02 AM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars No-Brainer, 18 Jan 2013
I just bought this for a whisker over a tenner. For that it's a steal. There are several on Amazon at about the same price, and others more expensive, and I'd be willing to bet they're all one and the same. I bought this one because I have a D90 and other reviews here mention it.

I used it in anger tonight for the first time and it worked like dream. I set the camera up looking out of the front window as it began to snow and left it going taking a one-quarter-second exposure every 15 seconds for about 6 hours as the snow accumulated. If you work it out, that's 1440 exposures. I imported them into Windows Live Movie Maker and output a video. Disappointingly, the snow accumulation wasn't as significant as I would have liked, but the video was great for a first attempt at time-lapse. See it here: [...]

By the way, there is no on/off switch as others have said, but I'm sure I read that the genuine Nikon version doesn't have one either and you'd pay an arm and a leg for that. The screen comes with one of those small plastic screen protectors that you peel off, and I put it in the battery compartment so that for short-term storage I can isolate the terminals with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 1:31 AM GMT

DURAGADGET High Quality Handheld Rotating Holder With Adjustable Hand Strap For Apple iPad 2, The iPad 3 & New iPad 4 With Retina Display (Wi-Fi & Cellular) (16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB) - Perfect For Commuting On The Train or Teaching!
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 18 Jan 2013
This arrived today and it seems like a nice robust piece of kit. All the holes and cut-outs are in the right places and it fits my iPad 2 very well and very securely. If you have a Smart Cover this holder has a cut-out to accommodate it. Attach the holder with the Smart Cover already in place on your iPad and it will lock it into place relieving you of the irritation of dislodging it regularly. I've had no trouble with the rotation and the grip relieves me of another irritation - that of pressing the Home button by accident.

I also have a Belkin pleated sleeve (link below) and my iPad fitted with this holder and the Smart Cover fits into it nicely. Altogether a very useful buy. Should be standard issue!

Belkin Pleated Sleeve for iPad - Black (Compatible with New Apple iPad 3rd Generation HD)

DX-MALL® BATTERY FOR HP Compaq Presario CQ32 CQ42 CQ56 CQ57 CQ62 CQ72 HP Notebook PC G4 G6 G7 G32 G42 G62 G72 Envy 17 Pavilion DM4 DV3-4000 DV5-2000 DV6-3000 DV7-4000 Series fits MU06 593553-001 WD548AA HSTNN-178C HSTNN-179C HSTNN-181C

5.0 out of 5 stars Faulty battery, faultless service, 9 Oct 2012
I bought this for a HP G62. It arrived fully charged and powered my laptop for over 2 hours, so seemed a bargain. However, after that it refused to charge. It would start to charge (system tray would say 'Plugged in, charging') but stop after a few seconds ('plugged in, not charging'). I searched the web for solutions, none of which worked. The seller was very prompt in responding to my emails (in fact they responded at 4 a.m. - leading me to believe they are in a different timezone: China?) but their suggestions didn't work either. In the end they said they could offer a replacement but suspected they may have a faulty batch so they offered me a refund and said I need not return the battery (saving me the postage and effort). They did just that (it took my bank longer to sort it than it took the seller...).

So, a good start (battery worked very well initially) but overall a disappointment. Nevertheless the customer service was prompt, courteous and they resolved the issue quickly and for that they get 5 stars from me.

Wireless IP camera Pan/Tilt 2-ways Audio Mobile Viewing WEP/WPA/WAP2 wireless Wi-Fi Pan/Tilt internet IP camera day and night vision CCTV security monitor built-in microphone and speaker allow you to communicate with people directly support mobile phone viewing
Offered by COOLEAD

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality for the price, 28 July 2012
I received this today with the aim of using it with a QNAP Turbo NAS 210. After some frustration caused by the fact that I was trying to set it up when there was no power to the camera (operator error - doh!) I eventually got it running. Some observations:

- The colour is very good. I had an analogue colour camera a few years ago and the colour was rubbish. Almost monochrome. Not here - vibrant colour and no complaints.

- The knurled ring on the front face is for focusing. I expected fixed-focus, so a good feature

- when logging in you will be asked for a user name and password. The default is user name = admin (lower case) and password = blank (i.e. nothing, empty, no characters). That info isn't presented until page 14 of the manual

- the green LED you see in the picture flashes constantly. The other LEDs you see light up red. Not blindingly bright red, but visible red. I expected infra-red, but they are visible-red (no doubt with infra-red alongside, judging by the night-vision capability). All of that means it's fairly conspicuous in a dark setting. It will be obvious to a passing toe-rag, but maybe that's not a bad thing...

- Wireless works well. After wired setup and some obvious tweaks for wireless (SSID, wireless network password) it just worked.

- I cant get it to show live video in the NAS Surveillance Station, although the software supplied with the camera works OK. I need to work on that...I reckon it's just me missing something

- Not managed to record anything yet (NAS, see above), but that's probably more to do with my setup than the camera. Noticed it seems to update a few times a second (not 25 or 30 though), so that's the frame rate you can probably expect (not a criticism - that rate is probably ok for my purposes, and is subject to confirmation when I get it working properly in my setup)

- viewing the output on my iPhone was no trouble at all. However, I have a fixed IP address - you may need to do some work if you don't (though I doubt that it will be a problem - there are instructions on what to do if you have a dynamic IP address)

- it will Pan and tilt through software, including via iPhone (though a bit hit-and-miss there because of the iPhone form-factor). Works trouble-free on a PC. No zoom though (well, what do you want for this money, eh?)

Overall a positive impression with some minor gripes including the manual, which is detailed but written in pidgin English (largely, anyway).

It drops a star because of the Christmas tree lights (an exaggeration - they are not that bright, but at night in a dark setting they are very obvious). For the price (I paid just under £40) it's a good camera. Please don't expect HD - it ain't that, nor does it claim to be that, it's bog-standard 640x480 and that's it. Cheap camera, better-then-expected performance. If this is your price point you'll get good value here.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2012 9:47 AM BST