Profile for Al B > Reviews

Content by Al B

Al B (Lancs, England)

Head Harness Body Building Head Strap comfort training with chain (free shipping)
Offered by Farabi Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than leather harness., 23 Jan. 2015
This is much better than the leather one I got (at the same kind of cost) which broke whilst I was using it! It fits comfortable. The head band can be adjusted easily. I found that instead of using metal weight plates, the exercise was less clumsy and easier to do using a set of exercise bands or cables.

A Spy by Nature (Alec Milius 1)
A Spy by Nature (Alec Milius 1)
by Charles Cumming

4.0 out of 5 stars Tense page turner, 30 Sept. 2013
I did not expect this book to be as realistic as it came across. Written in the first person, we join Alex Milius through his interview in the Foreign Office & tests for MI6. The conversation is realistic and the observations really give authenticity to the characters and situations. This is as far away from a Bond novel as one can imagine, but don't let this put you off as the realism carries the reader along as if it is 'you' in there, dealing with the paranoia, subterfuge & tense situations experienced by the protagonist. A great read. I will definitely be reading more of Cumming's work.

All American EFX Kre-Alkalyn EFX 750mg 240 Capsules
All American EFX Kre-Alkalyn EFX 750mg 240 Capsules
Offered by fly eagle

4.0 out of 5 stars All the gain without the pain, 23 Sept. 2013
I tried this product on recommendation from one of the big lads at the gym. I have tried Creatine Monohydrate before and had to go through a bit of discomfort with kidney pain. However, the alkalised formula in these capsules means no loading phase required and less overall creatine being taken (as it is all absorbed)
The results have been good. I have been measuring all reps sets and weight used and my strength gains have been steady. I also started intermittent fasting 16:8 about 4 weeks ago and have found that even when working out 15 hours into the daily fast, the strength is there and no loss of muscle whilst losing fat. Definitely worth a try even if you've struggled with a creatine product before.

Limitless
Limitless
by Alan Glynn

4.0 out of 5 stars Originally titled The Dark Fields- Glynn's book is a gem, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Limitless (Paperback)
I read this before seeing the film of the same name and found them to be two different experiences.
There is no doubt that Alan Glynn's book is a page turner. The set up takes place within the first 10 pages, so there is no waiting for things to get up and running. The tale is writen in the first person and follows Eddie Spinola a 'down on his luck' copywriter who meets an old friend who introduces him to MDT-48, a smart drug that massively enhances the functioning and potential of the human brain. Imagine being able to master a foreign language in a day or see patterns in the stock market.
After taking the first pill Eddie becomes highly focused and motivated on his work. Glynn seems to have actually modelled procrastination to motivation in the way he describes it, so well that you may find yourself actually putting the book down once or twice to get on with some tasks you may have been avoiding. But be warned, that is the only time you will put the book aside as the story develops at such a pace that it pulls you into the climax at speed.
The book was first published in 2001 as 'The Dark Fields'and has taken ten years to make it to the big screen. Having seen the film after reading the book I have to say there are some big differences. And I would say read the book before going to the cinema.

Confessions of a Conjuror
Confessions of a Conjuror
by Derren Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside the mind of an accomplised master illusionist, 16 Oct. 2010
I bought this book on pre-order because I am a fan of Derren's work. However, I think that, even if one had never heard of him, they would still find this a fascinating read.
The book carries you away through various memories, perceptions and beliefs of the authour that may challenge your own, whilst returning to the central thread of him performing a card trick to a a group of people.
I was compelled by Derren's narrative about his sensory acute perceptions of the environment and people around him. The ability to take in so much of the slight information when reading people is truly a gift. But then the same perception is portrayed in the parts where the book goes on tangents as more akin to a curse as Derren points that same attention to detail inward. Obviously, for someone to master the skills he has must require a good measure of obsession to detail. And the honesty of his writing shows that he offers you, the reader, that same detail of himself.
It certainly made me feel good knowing that even the greatest entertainer of our time has similar neurosis as myself when it comes to how we are perceived, the feeling of having publicly embarrassed ourselves and the need to be wanted.
An entertaining, open, honest and different take on an autobiography. A must for anyone who is a fan.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2011 9:11 PM BST

Total Body Plan: The Ultimate Guide to Building Muscle and Losing Fat
Total Body Plan: The Ultimate Guide to Building Muscle and Losing Fat
by Bill Hartman

4.0 out of 5 stars Great workout routines to keep you interested, 18 May 2009
I have been using this book now for 2 years. In fact I bought a second copy as after the first year the first was dropping to bits with use. I always take the book to the gym as a quick reference to where I am in my routine. The book divides into many workouts; those for the beginnner, 6 weeks of weight gaining, 6 of fat burning and a chest and arms specialisation. I have put on just under a stone of muscle and kept it on at the same time as burning the fat right off my mid section (Not easy at 48 years) If you follow the workouts as close as possible (some gyms you may have to adapt depending on the equipment available) and keep as close as possible to the cardio training (yes there is running and sprinting involved) I think you will definatley make improvements even if you have been training for a while. Each section has a Q & A chapter and it also includes diet advice in detail.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2011 2:25 PM BST