Profile for willmow > Reviews

Content by willmow

willmow

Nespresso Inissia Coffee Capsule Machine with Aeroccino3  by KRUPS - White
Nespresso Inissia Coffee Capsule Machine with Aeroccino3 by KRUPS - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with purchase - but use biodegradable pods!, 18 Jun. 2016
After swearing we'd never get sucked into Nespresso Hell, here we are, proud owners of an Inissia and milk frother. The only reason we've gone for it is that we found a supplier (Cofico in London) of ethical coffee in biodegradable capsules that you put on your compost. It's too early to comment on their biodegradability, but Cofico engender confidence, so we're very hopeful. The milk frother is brilliant, but it's very dependent on the milk as to how well it froths - full-fat and semi-skimmed work, but for some weird reason some batches of milk from the same supplier froth better than others. It's a bit hit and miss - we've yet to find the reason. Still, delighted so far.

Prestige Eco Cordless Jug Kettle - 1.7 L, Black
Prestige Eco Cordless Jug Kettle - 1.7 L, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kettle, 18 Jun. 2016
I did a lot of market research before getting this. After a few weeks of use, it's proving to be the best kettle I've owned - light, efficient. Time will tell whether the leak problems will come to haunt it, but so far, so good.

AEG USENERGY Vacuum Cleaner 1000 W - Clear Blue
AEG USENERGY Vacuum Cleaner 1000 W - Clear Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vacuum cleaner, 18 Jun. 2016
So quiet! So efficient!

Powerextra High Quality 22.2V 1500Mah Li-ion Battery for Dyson DC31 DC34 DC35 DC44(except DC44 Animal) 917083-01 Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Battery
Offered by Poweradd

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, but longer-term performance unknown., 18 Jun. 2016
Only just got it. It works with my DC35. Four stars because only time will tell how it behaves in the longer term.

Drink More Whiskey: Everything You Need to Know about Your New Favorite Drink
Drink More Whiskey: Everything You Need to Know about Your New Favorite Drink
by Daniel Yaffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much substance, plenty of hot air, 25 Dec. 2013
This extremely US-centric text is long on patronisingly chummy mateiness and short on fact. If you can get past the Americanisms, once you've waded through reams of "good ol' boy" padding you realise there's not much there. The author gives lots of mentions to a short list of usual suspects (are those distilleries calling the tune? From the tone of the writing it would appear so), professes his love of whisky, but then provides recipes for cocktails that involve mixing fine single malts with lots of other nonsensical ingredients when basic blended whiskies - or lighter fuel - would do. There's mention of weird stuff from far-flung places like Thailand (and a huge amount of space is devoted, unsurprisingly, to North American products), but there's not a squeak about, for instance, the award-winning Welsh Penderyn - or the English St. George's come to that. If this book weren't a gift, it would be going back. Instead, it's heading for the charity shop.

Rain Design iLap 15 inch Laptop Stand (Patented)
Rain Design iLap 15 inch Laptop Stand (Patented)

4.0 out of 5 stars Lap dancer supreme, 13 Jan. 2013
I've been using my iLap for years and love it. It has definitely kept my iBook, then MacBook and now MacBook Pro cooler than they would otherwise have got (numerous comparisons over the years), and I like using the add-on front cushion for when I use it on my lap (usually I use it without the cushion when I'm typing at my desk). The iLap is also particularly useful when you're computing in bed, as it keeps the duvet/bedclothes away from the computer and thus much cooler. I've used the same iLap for 13" as well as 15" computers. The reason for four rather than five stars is the following: while the (fairly) grippy feet work well with the polycarbonate body of the earlier models, you have to watch it with the later aluminium unibodies, especially (as in my case) you're using an iLap made for a 13" with a 15" MBP. There is a tendency for the Mac to slip if the feet are not at their grippiest, and they use lose their grip after a while - partly probably because of the heat generated by the computer. My advice is to change the feet every couple of years, or one day you will find your Mac on the floor (bitter experience). I think the addition of a lip along the bottom edge would be good, but the makers haven't done that yet.