Profile for maraleendertsen > Reviews

Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA
Price: 16.98

5.0 out of 5 stars pure, very painful and very real, 8 Nov 2003
This review is from: The Brave [DVD] (DVD)
One lazy evening I decided to watch "The Brave", not knowing what to expect, slightly curious, but with my mind on relaxing and comfortably staring at the screen. How different the next few hours would be.
As a reviewer I can only speak from my own perspective. Each viewer will have their own experience with this piece of artwork. Like a painting in a museum, some will pass it by without watching, others will be nailed on the spot and feel deeply touched and moved.
Yeah, the pace of the movie is relatively slow, specifically if compared to your usual action or thriller movie. If you get lured to this movie by the horror image of words such as "tortured to death", expecting some kind of massacre scene, lots of action and sadistic devilry filling your screen for two hours.... ermmm... perhaps think twice.
There is no flat, superficial entertainment in this movie. But there is a lot of emotion, psychology, and a stunning sense of reality, so real it almost becomes surreal.
Yet this is no sweet psychological drama either. You could momentarily attempt to withdraw safely behind the veils of wondering: "What drives this character?" But before long reality will have caught up with you. Expect to see what is also known as devilry, as simply another piece of life. Not exaggerated, but very pure, very painful and very real. The emotion in the movie is the same. No roses flying around when it comes to love and care. There's subtle love, heart to heart, honest, realistic and direct.
For me, this movie went under my skin. I watched - not comfortable - in total silence. Until, towards the end, the pain finally melted the silence of shock and tears started rolling down my cheeks. 20 minutes after the movie had finished I was still crying and I kept feeling rather off-colour well into the next couple of days.
Yeah, some things could have been different in this movie. Made it a touch more easy to watch. Perhaps. But as it is, it is well worth spending a wonderful evening on it. Whatever way it will leave you feeling afterwards. If this movie were a painting, I'd buy it.