Profile for Alexandra Ashmore > Reviews

Content by Alexandra Ashmore

Alexandra Ashmore "LexieA" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Lincolnshire Privies
Lincolnshire Privies
by Adrian Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual take on local history, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Lincolnshire Privies (Paperback)
I actually first read this after borrowing a copy from my local library and because I loved it so much I decided to buy my own copy. It examines the history of the toilet/earth closet in the Lincolnshire area in a really entertaining way. A must for any local historian

Pendant Angel Rose Quartz 20mm
Pendant Angel Rose Quartz 20mm
Offered by Cleo

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Pendant Angel Rose Quartz 20mm
I had been looking for a crystal angel to make into a necklace for a young relative and this fitted the bill perfectly. Great price and a real cute and dainty item.

Botanico Let's Grow Wooden Raised Bed
Botanico Let's Grow Wooden Raised Bed
Offered by Garden Essentials

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap is cheap, 24 May 2014
After having previously bought the same Botanico raised beds from my local garden centre I expected these to be the same quality. What a mistake! The beds arrived eventually after I had to try and chase up their whereabouts with Yodel (and Amazon were kind enough to reissue the order as my original was god knows where).

My product arrived and it was absolutely wet through (packaged to disguise this) and covered in mould, not to mention stinking to high heaven. Due to the troubles I had experienced getting my product in the first place I chose to just ignore it and put my product together. With my previously purchased Botanico raised beds from my local garden centre they came with pre-drilled holes which made assembly quick and straightforward. With these there is no such thing, you need to drill and measure your own holes. Even the finish of the wood is pretty poor and very rough, not like the smooth finish on my previous beds. In short you are basically paying for 4 pieces of wood (which could easily be mistaken for off cuts they were so rough), 4 wooden blocks, a few screws and a lot of hassle.

Yes, they were half the price of what I paid at the garden centre, but they are also just a fraction of the same quality. I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking the reason these are so cheap is because they are rejects or otherwise unsaleable stock for non-online businesses. The lesson I have taken away from this is I am better off buying from my local garden centre, even if I am paying twice the price.

Dog Seat Belt, Connects Collar, Harness, to any Car Safety Lock, by Rapidtradezone
Offered by rapidtradezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple idea but effective, 26 Jun 2013
Fits quickly, safely and securely to the seatbelts of my Meriva. Clips easily to my dog's collar and harness. The strap part can be adjusted. The dog I have is small (Jack Russell x Chihuahua) so I can't comment on how well it works with bigger dogs. Well worth the price as they cost much more in the shops. The free dog whistle was a nice unexpected bonus too.

iPhone 4s Purple USB Data Transfer , Sync / Charging Cable also compatible with iPad 2 / iPod Nano Shuffle Touch Nano / iPhone 3Gs 3 - Premium Quality Distinguished Style and Colour
Offered by Top Bargain1

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money., 26 Jun 2013
Had the product for less than a week and after a couple of uses it has already stopped working and won't connect my ipod to my computer or car. I know this is a problem with the cable as my spare cable works perfectly. I would advise potential buyers to save their money.

Famous Five on the Case: Case File 1 The Case of the Fudgie Fry Pirates: Case File 1 The Case of the Fudgie Fry Pirates

1.0 out of 5 stars If you are a Famous Five fan avoid!, 19 Feb 2013
Absolutely dreadful!
This book consists of a new Famous Five made up of the children of the original Enid Blyton characters. Naturally you don't expect these new books to be the same as the originals but this stripped away every shred of the original magic. The original characters are barely mentioned, apart from a couple of appearances from George who comes across as being a more feminine botanist. The actual plot was poorly constructed and poorly written. Save your money and don't bother buying this.

10 X Professional Cuticle Pusher Trimmer Cutter Remover for Manicure / Pedicure by Boolavard
Offered by Still Beauty

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money, 18 July 2012
Even though this item was very cheap and I can't fault the seller who dispatched the item very quickly the item itself was useless and a waste of money. I only bought this item as I had lost my previous cuticle trimmer I had bought from Kleeneze. I wish I had saved my money as all this item did was shred my fingers and left them looking raggy rather than the neat look I had achieved with my previous cuticle cutter. As a result this item has now been shoved in a drawer and I've bought a replacement cuticle cutter from... you've guessed it... Kleeneze.

Keeping An Allotment
Keeping An Allotment
by Kevin FORBES

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic guide for those starting out., 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: Keeping An Allotment (Hardcover)
I actually picked up a copy of this from my local garden centre rather than from Amazon. It is quite possibly the best book on growing your own produce I have ever owned and I'd recommend it for those just starting to grow their own stuff as well as for those more experienced.

The book even has a section which gives a month by month guide to the food gardener's year, what jobs to do, what to sow undercover, what to sow directly, what to harvest etc.

There are more detailed chapters for popular veg choices, detailing how to grow, when to grow, when to harvest, pests and other useful information. As well as these chapters being about veg, there is also mention of soft fruit, such as strawberries and popular garden herbs.

With this book anyone can competently grow their own food.

Replacement Laptop / Notebook AC - DC Adapter / Charger for EMachines E510 E520 D620 E525 4213 & more with Qubz 1 year warranty and UK mains lead included
Offered by Qubz

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, BUT...., 22 Nov 2011
I bought this item after my original charger broke. Yes this is a bargain price but you really do get what you pay for. The item does do its job, but as another reviewer mentioned the conntector fits into the laptop loosely, but this was not a problem as it still seemed to work fine. I am now finding after just a few months that there seems to be constant problems with the reliabilty of the power supply from the charger to the laptop and you have to fiddle with the wire constantly to restore the flow of power. I have a feeling this could possibly be due to the design of the charger which doesn't have an "L-shaped" end on it like most, but a straight one which can get knocked about easily, therefore damaging the wires inside.
I would not buy this product again and next time will be buying one slightly more expensive as I do feel with this item it is a case of you get what you pay for

Bruges Insight Smart Guide (Insight Smart Guides)
Bruges Insight Smart Guide (Insight Smart Guides)
by Katharine Mill

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Pocket Guide for a trip to Bruge, 9 Mar 2009
I had been invited on a mini cruise to Bruge and wanted a decent guidebook. This one appealed to me because unlike many other guidebooks available it focused soley on Bruge. Many others will include Brussel's, Ghent and even Amsterdam with just a couple of pages dedicated to Bruge. This guidebook is split into the usual sections you'd expect, such as things to do and places to see. There is also an interesting section on the history of Bruge. The most useful thing in this book however is the city map in the back of the book as it really helped us plan our day in Bruge to maximum effect.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants a book which just deals with Bruge and no other place.

Page: 1 | 2