Profile for onlyme120 > Reviews

Plantronics M55 Frustration Free Pacakging Bluetooth Headset
Plantronics M55 Frustration Free Pacakging Bluetooth Headset
Price: 21.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best at this Price, 10 July 2014
I don't think you'll find a better more feature packed headset for this price. I've been using a number of these devices (all differing brands and prices) for years. I bought this one primarily for two purposes, (1) to use with a phone for long business / conference calls (2) to listen wireless to my ipod / ipad while commuting. It performs faultlessly with both. I'd recommend putting this on your shortlist, or just 'buy-it'. At just over 20 I don't think there is anything to beat it on price / performance.

Good:
-Great design and good fit, surprisingly small and compact, but not in a way that makes it fiddly to use.
-Love the earbud design, where soft plastic / gel holds the device in your ear, rather than an earloop. An earloop is provided if you don't like buds in your ear.
-Audible voice announcements, announcing remaining battery, volume, redial, etc. I like this function. Only the user hears this - not the caller - but it's very useful to know what the device is doing and if it has recognized your commands.
-USB charging. It charges via a standard mini usb-standard usb cable, so it can be charged via standard USB port. Since these mini USB's are becoming the standard on phones etc, just about any cable / charge combination will charge it. Red light when charging, goes out when charged. Takes 40-60 mins to charge.
-It has a solid on/off switch. This is great for all kinds of reasons. When switched on the voice prompt will announce battery remaining, then move on to announce which phones are connected - great feature. This announcement function can be switched off. It was my intention to do that, but when I started using the device it's quickly become one of the best features. It's a real US female voice - or sounds very real !! very soft, not assertive !!!
-Earpiece volume is great. My hearing is not the greatest, but I have no problems hearing conversation, even in noisy environment
-Will connect to just about anything, phone, apple devices, anything ! And will connect to them all at the same time, so if you're listening to an podcast and call come in on another connected phone it will announce it.
-Noise cancellation is terrific. car noise, city noise is minimal via the inbuilt noise cancellation. Callers remark how quiet it is with sound quality often better than the phone mic.

Not so Good:
-Battery life not as good as expected. I get around 3-4 hours use. Maybe I use it more often than I realize, but I was expecting a little more usage. I'll have to keep a log to see how much I actually use it
-The on/off switch was very tight (but is now easing) so I had to remove the device from my ear to switch on/off. Not a deal breaker, but it initially took some effort to switch on/off.
-My biggest gripe, is the volume button. This is a press switch that cycles through 5 volume settings. Only the loudest volume setting is announced (via the voice prompt) so I sometimes have to repeatedly cycle through presses to get the volume I want. There is quiet 'click' produced by the action of the button when pressed that callers can hear...so repeated presses can be a little annoying. This could so easily be fixed, by just having a voice prompt to every volume level 1-5.
-The voice prompts to answer or reject a call are fairly useless. The only one that works for me is 'reject' to reject a call. The other don't work at all. I guess because it's been attuned / developed for American accents....not UK.
-The front of the device is shiny plastic, it does get a little marked over time, but it's not that noticeable.

Overall, a fantastic device for the money with many more features than I was expecting. I'd give it a good 9.8 out of 10. and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Very simple functionality, great noise reduction and comfortable to wear.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2014 1:07 PM BST

Cruzerlite Bugdroid Circuit TPU Case for Motorola Moto G - Black (Retail Packaging)
Price: 9.90

4.0 out of 5 stars great fit great design, 10 July 2014
Looked at loads of other case reviews before buying this one. Very nearly bought a 'Tudia' case or a 'Otterbox' I rejected both in favor of the Cruzerlite because the Tudia offered less protection and the Otterbox was too bulky.

The good:
-Great fit on Moto G, very close, no looseness.
-Adds virtually no bulk to the phone at all, case is very minimal
-Good but discreet lip around front screen, protects when putting phone face down
-Cut outs for power and volume button (as opposed to covers. These work really well and don't impact button functionality at all. I much prefer the cut outs now.
-Case doesn't pick up dirt, grime or grease marks. Been using it a while and look brand new
-Lots of 'You Tube' reviews of case with guys dropping their phones onto concrete to test the case, this is what finally made me buy-it, as it protected the phone in all instances.
-All connectors fit really well (charger, earphones,) not affected by case in any way

Not so good:
-Personally I am not a fan of the 'bug-droid' design on the rear of the case. I really like the circuitry design, but the bug droid is a little immature. I use the phone for business and its inappropriate. Kids really like it though ! It didn't stop me buying it, but is very nearly did.
-Case is made from two materials, the part surrounding the phone sides (bumper) is made from shinny very gripy TPU. It's great to hold with a strong grip and felt very secure. The rear of the case (with the design) is a mat harder plastic. This works great to avoid scuffs when putting the phone back down onto tables etc. But, it has minimal grip so the phone can slide along surfaces really easily, particularly in a car environment. This often means putting the phone face down, onto the shiny more gripy material (which also is not particularly gripy in car environments). I guess the designers has to compromise between a hard wearing material and grip.
-the bumper design which is proud of the screen does collect dust and grime and needs cleaning sometimes. I guess all bumper cases are the same.

Overall then, a great case. really good fit, secure in the hand with a very gripy bumper. Doesn't add any discernible bulk to the phone. Design on rear not to my liking, but not a deal breaker. I'd give the case a 9.5 out of 10 and I'd buy another. I doubt you'll find a more secure or protective case if you are looking for a minimally invasive design that offers most protection.

HP Pavilion 23XI LCD Monitor
HP Pavilion 23XI LCD Monitor
Offered by Tick UK
Price: 174.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice boarder less design good functionality, 29 May 2013
I bought this screen after reviewing almost every other screen in this size. I decided on this one mainly due to the boarder-less design, range of input options, clarity, cost and value for money.

I use it on a high end gaming PC connected to a high-end Nvidia graphics card, although I have also used it in standard configuration connected to a laptop and standard HDMI, VGA and DVI inputs. All perform very well in all connection modes. There is no configuration required at all it's simply plug in, connect and go. Of course you can configure all options via a range of under-screen buttons if required.

The Good:
-Boarder-less design look really great, there is a 2-3cm black edge around the screen when switched on but when off or in standby mode the screen appears completely boarder-less unlike those ugly screens with thick black plastic boarders all around. The minimalist design works great and I really like this design.
-The silver finish is great, much better than standard black plastic on most screens
-Viewing angles is fantastic, it can be viewed very clearly from some pretty extreme angles and two people sitting in front of the screen will easily see the screen.
-Screen clarity is good, I was actually expecting better, but would rate it just above good, not excellent, just above good
-Range of inputs is excellent, there is not a device or computer that will not connect to this screen
-Its stable and will not shake around on its stand
-The screen is non reflective and works really well in sunlight
-It goes into power save / standby mode so no need to unplug / switch-off

Not so Good:
-The silver finish on the base is beginning to mark, it's not taking day-to-day wear too well, it not a big-deal, it's just starting to show some scuffs. I take care of stuff so was surprised to see this so early on
-The screen clarity can be a bit hit and miss. The screen has a matt finish to help with reflections in bright light etc (almost like the screen has been slightly rubbed with sand paper) but this can produce slightly washed-out and blurry images. I was expecting more crisp clarity from the screen, but sometimes feel disappointed. It's good, very good, but not quite a crisp as I wanted. I sit close to the screen, moving further away improves this a lot, so maybe its a proximity issue.
-The screen is super light, if it's in an area where it's likely to be knocked, near children etc, then it can easily be moved around or pulled over, although mostly the base is stable.
-Sometimes too keen to go into standby / power save mode, I probably need to configure this to stop it.

Overall then a great screen for the price, design is excellent, screen clarity good, great range of inputs and probably one of the best looking screen out there with functionality to match. If pin-perfect screen clarity is important, then probably paying 30-50% more for this would be an option. If better than good clarity is what you're after or a mix of price / performance then I don't think you can beat this screen. The ultimate test for me "would I buy another" 'yes' without doubt.

Do it Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
Do it Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
by Mark Forster
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgot I bought it....!, 24 May 2013
Forgot I bought this book - which means I must have not read it - which kind of says it all really !!!

Hansgrohe 92730000 Cartridge M3 / M2
Hansgrohe 92730000 Cartridge M3 / M2
Price: 30.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Failed but good service, 24 May 2013
I have mostly 'Grohe' and two 'Hansgrohe' taps in my home (one is a tap - one a shower). I think they were brothers that set up different companies. Anyway I find the 'Grohe' taps are superior in every respect, materials, usage, water flow, control, parts and quality. Some of the Grohe taps have been subjected to constant daily use over 10 years and are faultless. The one 'Hansgrohe' tap I have is leaking after four years and I thought required this vastly overpriced cartridge. The 'Hangrohe' shower is working fine after the same time period. Fitting the cartridge is simplicity itself, although I noticed the cartridge in the picture has a brass movement on top, whereas the one I received has a plastic movement which will be far less robust with a heavy metal lever on top of it. Cost savings I guess !!
Update: It was not the cartridge but some other component that was leaking, in fairness 'Hansgrohe' support were faultless and extremely helpful, even sending free parts under their 5 year warranty claim. I have yet to fit these and see if this fixes my problem. Again, Hangrohe have offered to take the tap back for investigation if it cannot be fixed, which is very good service. I'm still a little surprised to have to do this on an almost 200 tap after such short service. Will update when / if fixed.

SanDisk SDCZ53A-008G-B35 Cruzer Pop 8GB USB Flash Drive - White Paint
SanDisk SDCZ53A-008G-B35 Cruzer Pop 8GB USB Flash Drive - White Paint
Offered by Technomobiles
Price: 9.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Great, Small & Powerful, 3 April 2013
It's difficult to get excited about a USB flash drive, but this thing really does break with tradition and I haven't stopped admiring the design flair and unique functions of it. Firstly, it's incredibly small and thin, about 3mm thick, 5cm long and 1.75cm wide. It's a USB 2.0 standard so won't work faster in the newer USB 3.0 ports. Since most flash drives are still USB 2.0 standard you won't notice that anyway.
The design is screen printed thickly onto the surface and won't scratch off or wear. The design is only on one side the other side is plain white with small compliance writing and a small boxed space for marking your initials, name etc, to claim ownership.
The functionally is original. To expose the USB plug the drive snaps open in the middle and the front piece folds back on a hinge - so in use the device is half the size shown ! The USB plug itself does not have the usual metal rectangular shielding around it, so you have to be a little careful plugging in into a USB port as it will be easier to break. I'm unsure about the robustness of the hinge over time, but we'll see how it goes. I would recommend checking out some other reviews before buying specifically to understand how it opens and the USB plug design.
In use it seems a little slower to upload files than a full sized drive, even though it is USB 2.0 standard like most drives. I have the 32gb version and stream movies from it, which it does perfectly, so reading files is not a problem.
Personally, I really like this little thing, I like the unique functionality, the design and the smallness. The few people that have seen it have decided to buy one of their own.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Bright & Small a Great Buy, 27 Feb 2013
The light is about the same size as a large pen. It takes three AAA batteries (that come with the light) although I recommend replacing with decent batteries after a week of use as the one's the come with it are quite cheap. The eight LED's are incredibly bright, it easily lights up a room and provides fantastic brightness at close-up range. I use it as an inspection lamp on cars and general lighting while walking at night. Everyone who has seen it wants to buy one.

The light is very focused at close range but more floodlight style at a range over a meter, still very bright but obviously with a more diffused light over distance. There is a strong rubber covered push button on top of the light for off/on operation. A pen like clip on the side that rotates through 180 degrees, which is surprisingly useful for clipping onto a shirt etc at an angle to get directional lighting while keep the hands free. the rubber foot at the bottom of the light means the light will stand up vertically on the foot without falling over. The foot winds off to access the batteries. The light is made of a rubber like material that is very tactile and makes it easy to remove oil or other stains. The LED's are protected by rubber ridges either side that stop them breaking if the light is dropped.

Overall then a fantastic light, really well though out and designed, great price, incredibly bright - even more so with new batteries. I find I'm using it all the time instead of a traditional LED torch. If I had one suggestion for the manufacturers it would be to add a nylon loop so the torch can be hung up in tent or car bonnet etc, and maybe a magnetic clip so it can be clipped onto metal surfaces. Even without these suggestions it's an incredible light and I'd happily give it a 9.5 our of ten.

Omron M2 Classic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron M2 Classic Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Price: 28.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but you'll need another armband, 27 Feb 2013
This product is simplicity itself. Just pop on the armband and push 'one' button, that's it, job done. It's recommended and endorsed by all kinds of authorities and official bodies in both the UK and USA, so the blood pressure reading will be very accurate.

But...while the price is exceptionally cheap for such a great device - it's not the true price of the device. You will almost certainly need to buy a larger armband at an additional 10 UK pounds. Making the real price of this device 25 pounds (at the price I paid). It's a great marketing ploy by Omron. I would have preferred them to offer the machine with an armband size of choice, but it only comes with a medium-ish armband that probably won't fit any adult arm. It says it will fit up to a 32cm circumference arm. My arm measured exactly that, but when I put on the armband I am out of the range indicated on the armband, so in use it comes-up slightly smaller.

Overall, then a great device with very accurate readings, simple to use and a good price, including a nice blue nylon back to keep it in. But beware of the additional cost of a large armband. Even with this extra armband cost (if required) it's still a good price I believe. I just wish Omron would provide a range of armband sizes from new.

Laser 1314 Brake Caliper Piston Re-wind Tool Set
Laser 1314 Brake Caliper Piston Re-wind Tool Set
Offered by E2 TRADE
Price: 15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy as Pie to User, 27 Feb 2013
Cheap and easy to use. Couldn't have completed a rear brake service on a 2002 Passat without it. Made the job so easy compared to the skinned knuckles and frustration of trying to do this with other tools.

The Passat piston winds back into the calipers so cannot be simply pushed back like the front pistons, with a C clamp or similar. With all the road grime and gunk around the rear piston added to the fact it needs to be 'wound' back not 'pushed' back. If you have a slightly sticky rear piston, then you'll never get it back without this tool. It's so cheap and its something you only need to buy once.

Ship Simulator Extreme (PC DVD)
Ship Simulator Extreme (PC DVD)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE
Price: 4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Will not work - Requires Secondary Site to Play, 27 Feb 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
You'd expect to load this game CD into your PC and then play it ? Wrong !!!

The CD loads about 25% of the game. You are then required to download and install a program called 'Steam' from the web, onto your PC. 'Steam' is a kind of very poorly designed online games compendium. You'll need to register an account with 'Steam'- even if you don't want to ! Then 'Steam' will install the rest of the game from the web. To access the game you'll need to launch 'Steam' first and then go to your 'Steam' games library and launch 'Ship Simulator'. More often than not, 'Steam' runs out of CD keys to activate a game, so the game won't register and you can't launch it or play it. This happened to me and hundreds of others - check forums. 'Steam' customer support is appalling. I waited over a week to try to get a CD key to activate and play the game and still no response. Others, who did get a response, were offered a refund.

The game itself is very good (played a non 'Steam' version, no longer available). But Paradox (the game maker) decision to offer it only via 'Steam' makes it unplayable because the game keys do not work. I'd give the game a 9 out of 10. I'd give 'Steam' a zero out of 10.

Simply put you'd be wasting your time, energy and hard earned cash buying this game. And the only things you'll gain apart from frustration, is another program (Steam) loaded onto your PC that you never wanted in the first place.

An update in the interests of honesty. After 5-10 days the game suddenly worked, seems like Steam or the game makers released more product keys that authenticated the game. I am still not a fan of having to use 'Steam' to play my game, which is a bit like using an estate agent to buy you a pair of shoes !!!!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3