Profile for KH > Reviews

Content by KH

KH (UK)

Diva International, The Diva Cup, Menstrual Cup, Model 1, Under 30 Years, Single Cup
Offered by 123 DIRECT LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars I WISH I'd bought this YEARS AGO!, 30 Jun. 2015
I first heard about menstrual cups about 3 years ago, but for whatever reason didn't want to try one. Anyway, fast forward to about 5 weeks ago and I'm having a conversation with my sister about sanitary towels and tampons and we start discussing what's actually in them, so I decide to look them up and feel slightly horrified by what I discover. I remembered my conversation about menstrual cups with a friend from 3 years ago and started spending hours researching cups as an alternative to my disposable towels. I found Precious Star Pads on YouTube (fantastic resource of reviews, general info and comparisons about cups!) and slowly started to narrow down a choice of cups to look into buying.
I chose Diva Cup because they struck me as a reputable company; the price was reasonable; I could buy it on Amazon; I have a high cervix and the reviews I'd read in various places were generally very positive. Of course there are negative reviews from people who just don't get on with menstrual cups.

My cup came within the specified time and very promptly. The packaging was a little damaged in transit, but other than that - all perfect!
Thankfully my period came the following day, so I could do a little 'dry run' on day two, before the flow gets really heavy.
I will say it is useful to read the instructions quite carefully. They don't specify to sanitise the cup before first use, but I did. I boiled it in a pan for 5 minutes. It does take a little time to get accustomed to putting it in and checking it's in place properly. On my third try (getting used to putting it in and taking it out) I added slightly too much lube and it pinged out of my hand and landed on my floor! It reminded me of that scene from Pretty Woman when she's in the restaurant... Anyway! I boiled it again and used it the next day when my flow was heaviest.

So far I've had no issues (the stem, when too low can be a minor irritant, but is generally not noticed if sitting still), just a blissful period! I've had no leaks, just a teeny bit of spotting, I think because there is blood residue below where the cup sits, rather than from leakage.
Taking it out also takes some practice. The more you can fold the cup as it comes out, the less painful it will be. Removing it when the rim is fully open was painful for me. If you angle it slightly and curve it, that really helps. I thought this would cause the contents to spill, but even after 7 hours of continuous use, there was no spillage at all.

I can honestly say this is the cleanest period I have ever had! Even with tampons that I've used in the past, there has been more hassle and mess.

If you are thinking of getting a cup, but you're not sure, give it a try! I was worried about the whole leakage/getting lost inside me thing, but the cup sits very comfortably and doesn't ride up (at least it hasn't yet). This is hands down THE BEST THING I HAVE BOUGHT FOR YEARS. I wish I'd had the courage/foresight/inclination to buy it 3 years ago.
I've had better nights sleep with the cup than I ever had with towels or tampons.
I also wondered if I would feel it. I imagined that a silicone cup would feel very intrusive, but it doesn't at all, I can only feel the stem slightly when I take a long walk.

I'm approaching 35, but haven't had kids, so bought the smaller size which is a perfect fit.
Also, some people cut off the stem if it irritates them. I'm still considering this. I think I need to have a couple of periods with the cup before I can decide if I have to.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND! Good for your body, for the environment and long term good for your wallet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2015 2:36 PM BST

Dell UltraSharp U2415 24 Inch IPS 1920x1200 (16:10) 860-BBEY
Dell UltraSharp U2415 24 Inch IPS 1920x1200 (16:10) 860-BBEY
Offered by Buying2day ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 April 2015
Brilliant monitor, absolutely perfect.

Black Dumbbells Vinyl, 1kg x 2 = 2 kg
Black Dumbbells Vinyl, 1kg x 2 = 2 kg
Offered by MAXSTRENGTH

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dumbells, perfectly as described, 16 April 2015
Great dumbells, perfectly as described. Only issue was the packaging was pretty bad and one of the dumbells was falling out by the time the package arrived. Other than that, well worth the money.

Cure Your Emetophobia & Thrive: The Research-backed Self-help Programme to Overcome Your Fear of Being Sick
by Rob Kelly
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars it has changed my life for the better. I've been emetophobic for the best part of ..., 7 Jan. 2015
I can't remember how I stumbled upon this book, but I can say hand-on-heart, it has changed my life for the better.
I've been emetophobic for the best part of 20 years now. I've tried counselling, CBT, hypnotherapy and more counselling. Whilst aspects of these therapies have worked to a limited degree, Thrive has really been the main catalyst for change (alongside my own desire for change).
I'm not saying I'm "cured" - there is still work to be done and effort to be made, but I am well on my way.
To give an idea of how severe my phobia was: at certain points in my CBT experience I was having suicidal thoughts. I had days when I didn't want to leave the house. I was terrified of speaking to people, I would panic if I was in a situation where I had to chat to someone. I lost a lot of weight, down to 6 1/4 stone, all through extreme anxiety of being sick. I don't feel anywhere near that level of anxiety anymore. Thrive is a programme that strengthens and supports and you will undoubtedly feel more resilient as a result of reading this book and understanding your thinking better.

I went to see Cara Ostryn, had my six sessions and feel all the better for it. She is a great therapist and I would recommend her to anyone!

If you were like me and are currently unsure about Thrive, (maybe the glowing reviews are off-putting) give it a go anyway. It's not a very expensive gamble. I read the book on my own in a week (too quickly) and saw some minimal results. A year later I read the book again with the support of sessions with Cara and my progress was significantly better. I will need to reread it again to have the support of the words in coming months as I get stronger and more capable. I have found it is an ongoing process, not a snap-your-fingers-and-you're-sorted sort of thing. It might be for some people though! Change takes time, patience, perseverance, but it's so worth it.

Rob Kelly knows exactly how the emetophobic mind works and he knows how to help us. Thanks Rob, if you're reading this! :)

Good Hemp Raw Protein Powder 500g
Good Hemp Raw Protein Powder 500g

5.0 out of 5 stars Nutritional gold, 12 Sept. 2013
I did a lot of reading and research before I bought this product and I felt compelled to write a review because so many reviews are negative about the taste, colour and consistency.
I got my first tub today and tried it. Firstly, it's a completely natural product, so it smells, looks and tastes very unprocessed. Some people will be put off by this, especially if you are used to drinking whey drinks and other highly processed sugary drinks.
I'm going to give you a break-down of my experience with it.
1) Smell: smells identical to shelled hemp, if you've ever had it before. If not, it smells a tiny bit like fresh leaves or grass. It's not that strong and it's not unpleasant.
2) Colour: an earthy green. Very natural. I liked that about it.
3) Taste: very slightly nutty, but reminded me very much of sunflower seeds. It's a nice taste and quite subtle.
4) Texture: it does have a slightly sandy texture. A lot of people have complained about this as well as the flavour and said "it'll make you gag and make you sick". It didn't with me and I've super-sensitive to flavours and textures. I'm a fussy eater and this wasn't a big deal.

I'm vegetarian, but I eat very little in the way of dairy and I'm quite active, so I need a good source of plant protein. I think hemp is the way forward for me. Give it a try. If you can't stomach it on it's own, add it to soups and smoothies. I think it's worth the effort for all the goodness it provides.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 2:41 PM BST

Angels & Electricity
Angels & Electricity
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Angels & Electricity (Audio CD)
Beautiful, ethereal, folksy, dreamy gorgeousness. I discovered this album about ten years ago and fell in love with it. Music tastes come and go, but this has stayed a favourite.

Adjustable Weighted Vest 10kg (22lbs) for Training, Running & Exercise
Adjustable Weighted Vest 10kg (22lbs) for Training, Running & Exercise

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 19 May 2012
This weight vest is well made, affordable and is of good quality. The fabric is sturdy and has what looks like a waterproof lining. It comes with 12 weight pouches which are filled with sand (I'm guessing) that are easily removed or added back into the vest to adjust the weight of it.
For me, the downside of this vest is the size of it. I'm a woman, I'm 5'1" and my frame is small. I find this vest very restrictive around the shoulder area because the straps are so wide. Also, it doesn't really matter how tight I have the belt, the top half of the vest still moves around, which is quite uncomfortable if I'm doing any kind of all-body cardio or plyometric movements.
It is bulky, but once you get used to this, it is a great product especially if you have found or formulated a workout with the vest in mind. (I stick to doing lower-body, non-plyometric type exercises such as lunges and squats and for these it is brilliant).
I would say to any women thinking of buying this vest: if you are petite, think about buying a weight vest specific to women, especially if you want to run with the vest or do any kind of all-body cardio with it.

Walking the Amazon: 860 Days. The Impossible Task. The Incredible Journey
Walking the Amazon: 860 Days. The Impossible Task. The Incredible Journey
by Ed Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 13 Sept. 2011
There is no doubt at all that the accomplishment of spending over two years walking the length of the Amazon deserves high praise indeed. The book is an excellent idea and I'm glad that Ed Stafford took the time to write it, as the story of his adventure is gripping, fascinating and massively inspirational - to would-be adventurers or otherwise. However, Stafford does not seem like a naturally gifted writer and there were few visual descriptions of his environment to please me as a reader (perhaps because I like lengthy descriptions of what people and places look like). The narrative is often 'he said, I said, we did' which read a little like a copy of a journal.
There were plenty of details of the logistics of such an extreme challenge which may be useful to fellow adventurers hoping to create an adventure of their own.
What was wonderful was Stafford's own personal reflections of his emotional states as the journey progressed - from elation, to despair, depression, anger, frustration, fear, apathy, boredom - he seemed genuinely open about his emotional experiences, which was surprising and refreshing to read. You can see how his personality went through some significant changes as the two years passed; he learnt more about himself and how he relates to others, which made the book most interesting for me.
An inspiring story and worth having a read.

Coloured Aluminium Jewellery (Design and Make)
Coloured Aluminium Jewellery (Design and Make)
by Lindsey Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it - it's awesome!, 13 Sept. 2011
I loved this book. This book offers me a wide range of ideas and techniques to further my understanding of the various ways to work with aluminium in jewellery design.
The images in the book are excellent with plenty of additions of the author's work as well as a variety from other makers. I have long been a fan of Mann's jewellery and to read her book has given me invaluable insight into how she works. I am very grateful to Mann and to the other contributors for sharing their knowledge and information. Ever reliant on the internet for information to inform my own studio practice, reading a detailed and comprehensive book about this subject has been like unearthing a diamond.
The book covers a broad view of the subject of coloured aluminium jewellery and includes chapters on the anodizing process from scratch, all the colouring processes a jeweller may need as well as chapters on problem-solving, fabrication and assembly and a gallery section to show what can be achieved with this fascinating material. Mann includes a section about health and safety; gives references to find other sources of information and includes an appendix of suppliers, which is always very useful.
The problem-solving chapter will surely help any maker new to this material or to an experienced practitioner who may need to find answers to recurrent issues.
The chapter about non-wearable objects might not seem all that relevant at first glance, but may spark some ideas for jewellers or those keen to expand their use of coloured aluminium into other craft areas.
What I also appreciate in this book is the understanding the author has that each maker must discover their own path to find what is right for them and their style. She can offer guidance to contribute to a maker's practice, but ultimately it is up to the individual to create new ways of working, which helps to enrich the jewellery sector all the more.

Looking for Adventure
Looking for Adventure
by Stephen Backshall

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth picking up, 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Looking for Adventure (Hardcover)
Looking for Adventure is a well-written, intelligent and interesting account of Steve Backshall's two expeditions into what was Irian Jaya and Papua New Guinea. Readers can expect an abundance of beautiful visual descriptions of pristine jungle landscapes, but perhaps should not expect many facts about the wildlife of Papua New Guinea, as the main bulk of the text focuses on Backshall's encounters with native tribes of the islands and his anecdotes of traversing the wilderness of the jungle and all the challenges, terrors and joys that brings. There are plenty of tales of exploration into caves, treks into extinct volcanoes and near-death accounts to keep readers of adventure literature happy.
Two things took me by surprise when I read this book. One, that the book was peppered with humour. There are some truly brilliant laugh-out-loud moments that had me rereading the same passages twice or more. Two, that the Steve Backshall who we see grinning on children's TV is actually a deeply critical and judgmental individual, unhappy and dissatisfied about the era in which he was born and scornful of the modern world.
I couldn't help but feel that Backshall missed an opportunity to dig deeper in terms of writing his understanding of himself, what really motivates him and why he pushes himself to his limits. 'A challenge is not worth doing unless you almost die achieving it' is the gist of one belief he shared but did not explain or explore in depth and I felt his personal reflections of who he is were somewhat superficial.
This book is definitely worth picking up - perhaps for teenage readers and older rather than a younger audience.