Profile for Joan Cook > Reviews

Joan Cook

Nothing Is Strange
Nothing Is Strange
by Mike Russell

5.0 out of 5 stars I won't give anything away - I'll just let Mike Russell take you for a journey through on his own strangely wonderful imaginatio, 31 May 2016
This review is from: Nothing Is Strange (Paperback)
What a fabulous book! It's the one I pick up before I go to sleep, just to help my dreams along. A collection of short story-poems written by a true artist. I won't give anything away - I'll just let Mike Russell take you on a journey through his own strangely wonderful imagination...

Ye Gods
Ye Gods
by Jill Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine, 7 May 2015
This review is from: Ye Gods (Paperback)
What a wonderful collection Ms Sharp offers to us here! Having seen her once at a poetry reading in Bath, I was delighted (and intrigued) to come across her work here. Goodness, in this little book, she manages to bring to life a kaleidoscope of everyday emotions and experiences with the divine subtlety, clarity and wit that the title suggests. I wish I had Jill Sharp's easy way with words and rhythms to express the joy (and the tears) these exciting - and important - poems evoke in me.

The Centenary of the Crossword: The Story of the World's Most Popular Puzzle
The Centenary of the Crossword: The Story of the World's Most Popular Puzzle
by John Halpern

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 16 Oct. 2013
I have been sent this book by a friend who loves cryptic crosswords, and I can't put it down. I might even be a convert by tomorrow! John Halpern is not only a number one crossword setter, but also a fluent and clever prose writer, whose fun style is accessible and infectious. I couldn't help but join him in his own fascination with the history, form and possibilities of these puzzles, their setters and their solvers. Whether you're a crossworder or not, you'll be riveted when you have this intriguing black-and-white nugget of a book in your hand.