Profile for Katharine M > Reviews

Stay With You
Stay With You
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Stay With You (MP3 Download)
Great song Jay. Great cause. Good luck - K

Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria
Extra Virgin: Amongst the Olive Groves of Liguria
by Annie Hawes
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Virgin stopped me going "Mmmm" in Italian restaurants!, 2 Dec 2001
I was rather sceptical when I bought this book. A friend from Liguria spotted it in the airport and asked me if it was any good. Sick of the whimsy of most travel writing, it took me several passes to buy it. I'm very glad I did. A monthly visitor to Turin and Liguria, I finally made it to Diano Marino purely on the strength of this excellent and sharply written book. However, I doubt if I'll be giving it to my Ligurian friends - self deprecation isn't such a well developed Italian trait!

Morality for Beautiful Girls (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
Morality for Beautiful Girls (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Number one for Botswana's best detective agency, 2 Dec 2001
You have to read number one Ladies Detective Agency and then Tears of the Giraffe to get the best out of this cracking book. Morality for Beautiful Girls is a bitter-sweet read that keeps you engaged throughout. This time, while the excellent and enormous central character Precious Ramotswe continues to bloom in her idiosyncratic way, other well-drawn people come to the fore, not least her deputy, her newly extended family and Mr JL Matekoni. Of course, Botswana itself carries on being almost a tangible character. The universal wisdom, gentle humour and tinges of sadness make this a book that you will finish all too soon.

The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency
The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars This is going to be my number one christmas present, 2 Dec 2001
A cracking start to the trilogy (so far - more I hope on the way) sees the establishment of Botswana's number one detective agency for ladies. And if you want to read something happy and uplifting for a change, this will send your spirits soaring. Precious Ramotswe is the complete antithesis of the emaciated, fashion-conscious, glamourous heroine we are often stuck with nowadays. A huge, beautiful, wise and proud woman who does not suffer fools at all - sets out against all odds to use her inheritance to make a real difference to other people's lives. If you think it's going to be a worthy, dull, stick of a read with Africa and Africans portrayed as victims, think again. I haven't laughed so much in a long time and it's rare to read a book with so much humanity.