Profile for valanne > Reviews

Content by valanne

valanne

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander Book 8)
Written in My Own Heart's Blood (Outlander Book 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BUT OTT IN PARTS, 27 Jun. 2014
Like everyone else I was looking forward to this latest instalment. I found it flowed a little more easily than the previous book (Echo in the Bone) but at times I wasn't sure if I had strayed into an 18th century version of 50 Shades. If you have read this you will know what I mean regarding the sex scenes. I am no prude but these were all a little over the top. That's the only thing I would fault this on. Also the ending is a bit weird. When we find Brianna and Roger, they are in 1739 and at the very end they are in 1778 or thereabouts. How did that happen - did I miss something? Or is this a teaser for the next novel?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 9:10 PM BST

Anti-Shock Water Resistant Double Protection Tough Hard Case Perfect fits Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ70 TZ60 TZ57 TZ55 TZ40 TZ35 TZ30
Offered by BV-electronics

5.0 out of 5 stars DOES WHAT IT SAYS, 22 Jan. 2014
Nice solid sleek case that will protect my camera nicely. No fancy bits. Arrived within 48 hours of ordering it. Most impressed.

Purse Alarm - Handbag & Purse Anti Theft Device - Assorted Colour
Purse Alarm - Handbag & Purse Anti Theft Device - Assorted Colour

5.0 out of 5 stars MOST CERTAINLY WORKS!, 22 Jan. 2014
After having my purse stolen from my bag on the Paris Metro I needed some kind of security and I plumped for this. I haven't been back to Paris as yet but I found out how loud the alarm is. I attached the alarm to my purse and my bag and forgot about it until I hauled it out in my local post office. The alarm went off, the assistant was in a panic and I had the biggest red face on the planet. I think we can safely say it works and will do its job!!!

Wolf 1200W 5 in 1 Super Heated Steam Cleaner Floor Cleaning Upright and Handheld Upholstery with Accessories PLUS BUY NOW AND GET A PACK OF 5 UPHOLSTERY PADS INCLUDED!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOWSER!, 22 Jan. 2014
I bought this as the cleaner I have is unwieldy and not that impressive for all its big three letter name. I read the reviews and thought well if it doesn't work I will return it. I ordered it 2 nights ago (very late at night) and it arrived at lunchtime today. Most impressed with the delivery service. I've assembled it - yes it is quite hard to get the handle together but you don't want it to fall apart on you do you? I have tried the floor cleaner pads and am very impressed wiuth the results. (I have a cat who doesn't understand that she should eat from her dish and not the floor.) I've also tried the window cleaning attachment and am not so sure about that as getting pools of water on the window sill is almost inevitable. I think it is better to use the cleaner and a separate squeegee but that's a minor point. I will be continuing to try it on other surfaces over the next few days. Oh and the final point - it is as light as a feather. Well worth the money.

The Forgotten Queen
The Forgotten Queen
by D. L. Bogdan

1.0 out of 5 stars HISTORICALLY INACCURATE, 20 July 2013
This review is from: The Forgotten Queen (Paperback)
I bought this as I know very little about Margaret Tudor other than she married James IV. When I started reading it seemed innocuous enough - it was the child Margaret writing and it was written in a childish voice. However I did not get very far into the novel before the inaccuracies and errors jumped off the page at me. Now I'm not a professor of Medieval Scottish History but as a patriotic Scot I know a lot about my country's history particularly the Stewart Kings.

The marriage between James and Margaret was a dynastic one - it may have been Henry Tudor's intention to bring the countries together or to try to add Scotland to his Kingdom as Edward Longshanks mistakenly tried. It is unlikely that James would have spoken to Margaret in the way he did or fall in love with her - her purpose was solely to produce sons. He loved Margaret Drummond and was devastated by her death or murder whichever way you want to look at it. Princesses and women of noble families were by and large commodities and used to benefits their fathers and male relatives (eg the Boleyn sisters.)

And now to the most glaring error I've ever read. James IV's father was killed at the Battle of Bannockburn. Now THAT was complete news to me - I read that paragraph twice to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks with me. Let me put that straight Ms Bogdan in case you read this - I see you are a student of history and this might be a line of study you want to pursue. James III was killed at the Battle of SAUCHIEBURN in 1488. The battle of Bannockburn took place in 1314. The Stewart line - descended from the victor of Bannockburn (that would be Robert the Bruce) - had not yet been established. An easy mistake to make but not a good one to a Scot who knows her history.

Finally she refers to the Bishop of Moray as the Bishop of Murray. Never, ever has this area or name been other than Moray.

You may have gathered that I gave up on this novel and have asked for a refund on the grounds that it was too annoying and inaccurate to read.

Stackers Jewellery Box Brown - Medium Ring/Bracelet- 87
Stackers Jewellery Box Brown - Medium Ring/Bracelet- 87
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT - IDEAL FOR PURPOSE, 23 Jun. 2013
I bought this to add to my existing Stackers boxes. It's a brilliant system and you can see what you have.

Black Butterflies. (The Greek Village Collection Book 2)
Black Butterflies. (The Greek Village Collection Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY ABSORBING READ, 11 Jun. 2013
Bought on the basis that my second 'spiritual' home is Greece. I read it straight after the Illegal Gardener which is not always a good idea when reading another book by the same author. One or two common characters but a different story. A nice storywhich brings out the real Greece to me.

Micro USB Mains Charger for Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)
Micro USB Mains Charger for Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)
Offered by Crazy Bee

1.0 out of 5 stars DID NOT RECEIVE CORRECT ITEM, 11 Jun. 2013
I ordered this to have a spare charger. I received a Nokia charger. I sent it back asking for what I had ordered. I have not received it but have had a refund. No longer need it as the charger for my Kindle works for the phone as well.

EU Plug AC Wall Micro USB Charger Adapter Galaxy Series S S2 i9100 S3 Nexus ARC Samsung Galaxy LG HTC BlackBerry

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 11 Jun. 2013
5 stars - doesn't need any more comment. Handy for packing for the Continent. Also works with a dual adaptor.

RHODES TO ROMANCE (European Contemporary Romance Series Book 1)
RHODES TO ROMANCE (European Contemporary Romance Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars AVERAGE PREDICTABLE ROMANCE, 11 Jun. 2013
I was tempted by the description which said it was set in Lindos - well there must be another Lindos on Rhodes that I don't know about (I know Lindos pretty well). There were very few mentions of the town and its charm. I also picked up straightaway that the author does not know her geography well - the Mediterranean sea is beside Lindos, the Aegean is on the west side- go check a map Anna!!! As far as I know there is not a Turkish bazaar in Rhodes town - the main shopping street and all the others round about are Greek in origin. If you got a quiet spot on St Paul's Bay that would be a miracle!!! or on Rhodes Bay itself. The story is just another romance - girl has horrible boyfriend - gets a job somewhere exotic - meets a handsome man who thinks she's off limits - romance develops. An afternoon's read by the pool.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4