Profile for Ms > Reviews

Content by Ms

Ms (Lancaster, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Gardman A01158 Universal Squirrel Baffle with Hook
Gardman A01158 Universal Squirrel Baffle with Hook
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely effective!, 10 Jan. 2015
I bought this as a present for my sister, who has been astonished at how much longer the food in her bird feeders lasts now that it is feeding birds and not squirrels! Less food falls to the ground without the squirrels, which has also helped to discourage rats. Highly recommended.

Dog Food Logic - Making Smart Decisions For Your Dog In An Age Of Too Many Choices

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult read on Kindle - and very US centric, 10 Jan. 2015
I really enjoy Linda Case's blog, and had high hopes when I downloaded Dog Food Logic. Perhaps I would have found the book more useful if I had bought the paper version - on Kindle the figures are difficult to read, and impossible to combine with the explanatory text - but I also found it hard to decide just who the book is aimed at. The discussion of actual canine nutrition is rather brief, which is a shame as the author clearly knows her stuff, and this is the part I found most useful. Instead the book is in essence a guide to being a savvy consumer of American products. The first section explains in great detail the importance of scientific and evidence based methods, contrasting them with anecdotal claims and logical fallacies. Further chapters discuss the history of commercial dog foods in the US, the range of foods available, ingredient and labelling rules in the US, US legislation and standards - there are elements which are the same in the UK and other non-US countries, but much of it is irrelevant unless you live in the USA. Reference to non-commercial diets is limited to the need to ensure they are balanced (no discussion of what constitutes balance), and the inadvisability of making unprovable claims about their virtues - fine as far as it goes, I suppose...

With the paper edition I may have been able to flick through and found the sections useful to me - on Kindle I seemed to spend a great deal of time ploughing through rather repetitive chapters that told me nothing relevant to my own situation. As a guide to a critical reading of the labels on US brands of dog kibble it is excellent, but you will need to do quite a lot more research if you are choosing dried food in the UK, and a great deal more if you want to provide a balanced home made diet.

Dressing Dolls with Rosemarie Ionker
Dressing Dolls with Rosemarie Ionker
by Rosemarie Ionker

2.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed in this book, 21 Dec. 2014
I was disappointed in this book. I have admired Rosemary Ionker's beautiful dolls' clothes for years, and was much looking forward to patterns for some of them, but this book is very limited in the range of styles provided and sketchy in details for embellishing them. The information on making up the patterns is extremely basic (I am still searching for whether the patterns include turnings or not - I am sure it must say somewhere, but it is not immediately obvious). If you have the experience needed to make these clothes, and to work out how to adapt the patterns, you probably know enough to draft your own designs from scratch. Frankly, I have found Natalie Bray's pattern drafting books much more useful, with their quarter scale drawings (perfect start for many BJD patterns), detailed descriptions of using measurements to draft basic blocks, and brilliant explanations of using those basic blocks to create practically any style imaginable. For children's clothes you need the second volume...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2016 11:03 PM GMT

Runaway Bride
Runaway Bride

2.0 out of 5 stars I enjoy her later works, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Runaway Bride (Kindle Edition)
I enjoy her later works, but this reads like an early work, heavily derived from the works of Georgette Heyer but lacking Ms Heyer's skill with character and story development. The plot is as full of holes as a sieve, from the extremely young heroine managing to get a position as a governess to the complete lack of the sort of gossip by servants or others that would have revealed the identity of the protagonists within the first couple of chapters (there is gossip, but only when it is needed to further the plot!). Would the "wicked" uncle not have told his neice that her proposed husband was second in line to a Duke when trying to persuade her? And told her the name of the Duke? Was their no gossip about the recent succession of the children's guardian? No mention in his grandmother's house of his former style? The plot requires them both to remain in ignorance, so bizarrely nobody talks about it! There is however great deal of "As you will recall..." and similar devices to reveal history...

By half way through I was skimming to find out just how all would finally be revealed, and to count the scenes lifted from Heyer books...

Cuckoo Song
Cuckoo Song

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 27 July 2014
This review is from: Cuckoo Song (Kindle Edition)
Strange, scary, complex, very, very thought provoking - and compellingly readable. Definitely one for adults as well as younger readers, especially the gradual revealing of the deep disfunction at the heart of the family. I am left wanting more - I need to know how Triss and Pen grow out of the smothering roles forced upon them by their parents, how the Outsiders cope, how the influx of Besiders changes the town...

A Glove Shop in Vienna and Other Stories
A Glove Shop in Vienna and Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an old favourite of mine, 7 July 2014
This is an old favourite of mine, which has been out of print and hard to find for many years. The stories will appeal to anyone who enjoys her books for adults/ young adults - I particularly love the one about the Christmas carp, swimming sedately in the bath tub despite all efforts to dispatch it!

Mirrycle Mirror for Mountain/Hybrid Bikes
Mirrycle Mirror for Mountain/Hybrid Bikes
Offered by Y Frame Discounts Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Very successful present, 2 Feb. 2014
Bought as a Christmas present for my nephew, who tells me it was quick and easy to fit, and makes him feel much safer cycling around town.

Robomop Robot Floor Cleaner Floor Sweeper
Robomop Robot Floor Cleaner Floor Sweeper
Offered by Triway Internet Service

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - until the batteries fail, 2 Feb. 2014
I loved my Robomop, which did a brilliant job of pootling around gathering dust bunnies and animal hair and cleaning under the furniture. Then the rechargeable battery failed, as they do, and there is no way of replacing it. Built in obsolescence at its most obvious - a small design change would make it easy to put in new batteries but then, of course, you would not need to buy a whole new unit...

Oksa Pollock: The Last Hope
Oksa Pollock: The Last Hope
by Anne Plichota

2.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter it is not..., 14 Jan. 2014
Firstly, as an adult, I am not the target audience for this, and secondly it is always difficult to know how many of the infelicities of a translated book are due to the author and how many to the translator. But frankly I found the book boring. We hear a huge amount about what the characters think and feel, especially in the first half of the book, but they don't actually do much. The school is so unlike any British school (right down to using US terminology for age groups) that I wonder why the book is set in London. Grandmama's interesting creatures are introduced, then play little part until the last part of the story. Oksa herself wallows in self pity and lacks charm, other characters are clearly labelled Best Friend, Potential Love Interest, Creepy Villain, etc and proceed to perform accordingly with little development, and I finally got to the end with a sense of relief and no interest in discovering what happens next.

Margaret Mahy did it much better - and much more succinctly - in The Changeover.

Earlex ELXCHILVAC HSV1000 Ewbank Chilli Vac Compact
Earlex ELXCHILVAC HSV1000 Ewbank Chilli Vac Compact

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed blessing, 14 Jan. 2014
I have now had this little vacuum for several months, and have something of a love/hate relationship with it.

Pros: Very light; good suction when it is empty and the filter is clean; small and easy to stow away and to pull out again as needed; all the attachments I need, plus a spare filter; easy to use as a hand held or a stick vacuum.

Cons: Needs very frequent emptying to maintain suction - think half a flight of stairs or a couple of large rugs; filter is not washable, blocks easily, and is fiddly to clean (although the gauze cover helps a bit); attachments are difficult to remove, especially if your grip is getting weaker with age; the turbo brush tangles with threads, dog hairs, or practically anything more than an inch long; motor can overheat, and cut out, if switched on for too long; very, very noisy!

I'd say it is still worth while for small areas, or if, like me, you have mainly hard floors and sweep before you vacuum (or, possibly, if - unlike me - you have a very clean house, no animals or children, and vacuum at least once a day!). I take a robust plastic bag around with me, so that I can empty the hopper every few minutes, and then close the bag around the filter and knock the dust out of it - this gives the thing a chance to cool down, as well. Take care to replace the gauze filter cover - otherwise the filter will block in seconds and the motor will probably overheat and cut out as well. Anything powdery - talcum, ash, carpet fresheners - blocks the filter quickly. I've found it is easier to get an attachment off by putting my foot on it and pulling the unit (not the stick handle) than it is to pull them off with my hands. I put up with all this because it is still infinitely preferable to dragging my hefty workhorse of a Vax out of the cupboard and heaving it up the stairs!

I do wonder, though, just what sort of homes people who design and test vacuum cleaners live in - no hair, no threads, no powders, little debris, and unlimited time and patience for cleaning filters...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5