Profile for The Art of Steering > Reviews

Content by The Art of Ste...

The Art of Steering

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Sent
Sent
by ALAN HILARY
Price: 8.83

4.0 out of 5 stars A great story of faith!, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Sent (Paperback)
This is the account of a very normal family who are living the American dream and who consider themselves to be committed Christians - until things begin to change as they start to hear God's whisper of a different way. In their 40s, Hilary and her husband consider a call to mission in an island in South-East Asia which was devastated by the Boxing Day tsunami. Yet it is not just their lives which they are about to uproot. It is also the lives of their children, aged 10 and 14, which will change forever. Friends don't understand what motivates them as they sell off all their possessions and prepare for a total change of cultures but this family decides to go anyway! Told from Hilary's perspective, this book recounts the story as it affects each family member, the spiritual opposition which they encountered along the way and the joys they experience as they follow God's call.

I enjoyed this book very much. It was an easy and engrossing read, which held my attention for the couple of hours which it took to read it. If you like the stories of real people following their God, you will enjoy this one.

I received a free copy of this e-book from Waterbrook Multnomah in return for a fair review.

Heaven's Lessons
Heaven's Lessons
by Steve Sjogren
Price: 9.39

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Heaven's Lessons (Paperback)
Steve Sjogren died on the operating table when supposedly simple surgery went massively wrong. He had a near-death experience but then came back, to a world of pain and disability. His old ways of understanding God were no longer enough and so he embarked on a long process of trying to make sense of his theology.

This book is the account of that: it details not so much about what Sjogren saw during his NDE but rather what he has learned through reflection upon that experience. Parts of it are captivating; other parts held me less powerfully. In all honesty, I would not buy it but read it happily enough not having paid for it!

I received a free copy of this e-book through the BookSneeze programme in return for a fair review.

Fatherless
Fatherless
by James Dobson

3.0 out of 5 stars Light relief, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Fatherless (Paperback)
This fiction book was meant to be light relief from everything else I read and mostly it was. As the first fiction book from well-known psychologist, James Dobson, I was not sure what to expect from it. Set in 2042, this is the story of a world where older people outnumber the young, leading to a rapidly-deteriorating economic situation as the nation tries to pay for the health-care of the elderly whilst dealing with a debt mountain. Law changes permitting voluntary euthanasia by the elderly and the disabled seem logical to some but others are not so sure.

Largely, it kept me entertained. It is, I believe, going to be part of a trilogy and whilst I wouldn't go out to buy the second and third books, I would probably read them if I got them on review for free! That pretty much says it for me: it was ok and it held my attention while it was in my hand but I wasn't desperately devouring it until the end.

I received a free e-copy of this book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.

Risk Is Right
Risk Is Right
by John Piper
Price: 5.37

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick read but good, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Risk Is Right (Paperback)
This short book is a republication of chapter 5 of Don't Waste Your Life. It didn't take long to read but it did provide me with some food for thought and even some blogging fuel earlier this month. You can, it appears, get it for free on the Desiring God website and it's probably worth a look.

Sensing Jesus: Life and Ministry as a Human Being
Sensing Jesus: Life and Ministry as a Human Being
Price: 6.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 31 Jan 2013
OK, so I'm a book junkie and when there are new books available for free on [...]in return for a fair review, I tend not to be super-fussy. In fact, I didn't even know what I was getting with this offering from Eswine, whom I have never read before. But all I can say is, `what a treat!'

Now those of you who follow me regularly know that I am passionate about leadership in the church, to the point that I am prepared to dedicate large chunks of my time to doctoral research in the area. But I have to confess to being bored of most popular-level literature on the subject of ecclesial leadership, ministry and pastoring. It all sounds the same and it's DULL.

But not Sensing Jesus. The freshness of the writing, the unashamed straight-talking style, this is the work of a man who has lived, a man who has pastored and who is still living as faithfully as he knows how. In particular, I love Eswine's celebration of the ordinary in ministry: `being human', he says in a statement which sings with truth, `does not mar greatness; it informs it and sets its noble boundaries'. Chapters 1-3, which reflect deeply up on this thought, a thought about the rootedness of Christ and therefore humans in a `place', are brilliant - in my opinion, they justify the whole price of the book. Yet there is much else in the chapters which follow to be celebrated, and again and again I have highlighted chunks of text in my Kindle version of this book.

If you are bored of books on ministry but are still filled with a longing to learn how to live more faithfully as a leader amongst God's people, this one is worth a look. But don't get it on Kindle; buy a hard copy instead so that you can mark the pages properly, so that you can easily return to it for your own encouragement and even quote from it to others.

(FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY) BY paperback (Author) paperback Published on (09 , 2011)
(FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY) BY paperback (Author) paperback Published on (09 , 2011)
by Peter Leithart

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok, 31 Jan 2013
This is the fictionalised account of Dostoevsky's life through the eyes of a theologian.

I really wanted this book to be good and I really persevered with it. But it was to no avail. I could not get into the writing or even work out where the book was going, crafted as it is largely in the form of reminiscing dialogue. The writing is sparse, terse even at times, and the author has a developed and mature literary style - but it just didn't work for me. I think also that my biggest hurdle in reading this book was my failure to understand quite whether this fictionalised history was more fiction or history.

So it's not one I'd read again but I would say in its defence that I think this may be more to do with my preferences than the quality of the book.

I received a free copy of this book through the BookSneeze programme in return for a fair review.

FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY (Christian Encounters)
FYODOR DOSTOEVSKY (Christian Encounters)
by PETER LEITHART
Price: 7.27

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had hoped, 27 Jan 2013

Outrageous Courage: What God Can Do With Raw Obedience And Radical Faith
Outrageous Courage: What God Can Do With Raw Obedience And Radical Faith
by Kris Vallotton
Price: 7.47

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD!, 27 Jan 2013
This one was GOOD! Not outstandingly well-written, not especially high-brow, but just good because it is a story of one woman's extraordinary faith and her pursuit of her God. If your faith feels low or if you have just got way too caught up with the busyness and distractions of life to remember what walking by faith even looks like, then read this and prepare to be inspired again!

Devotions on the Greek New Testament
Devotions on the Greek New Testament
by J. Scott Duvall and Verlyn Verbrugge
Price: 9.18

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this a lot!, 22 Dec 2012
I am enjoying this set of devotionals. My only complaint is that I only have it on Kindle which means that it regularly slips down my book list and gets forgotten, something which would not happen if I had a physical copy of the book. But this aside, I find this a useful way of keeping my Greek fresh as well as providing me with the opportunity to go deeply (yet briefly) into texts other than those which I am studying more regularly. Though I hate devotionals with a bit of passion, I really like this one!

Nine Minutes Past Midnight (Harvest Bay)
Nine Minutes Past Midnight (Harvest Bay)
by Crocker Dr Ernest F.
Price: 8.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 22 Dec 2012
Dr Ern Crocker is an Australian doctor. Though his Christian faith had long been significant in his life, he did not know how to reconcile it with his medical work. Yet one night he experienced God working alongside him during an after-hours medical emergency, an experience which triggered a personal odyssey into the connection between the human and divine aspects in healing. As well as his own stories, Crocker shares the accounts of many other medical professionals who have experienced the difference made by inviting God into their medical practice.

I liked the book and found much which was personally inspiring. Though I found that the inclusion of other people's stories was at times not smooth, they added colour and content to Crocker's writing. This one was faith-enhancing!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12