Profile for The Art of Steering > Reviews

Content by The Art of Ste...

The Art of Steering

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Jude: A Novel
Jude: A Novel

2.0 out of 5 stars OK, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Jude: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This is the story of twin brothers, told from the perspective of one of them as he watches his twin, Jude, succeed in business and economic arenas, to the degree that America starts to see him as their saviour. Not overtly Christian, this story is also the account of the alliance which Jude appears to have made with darker powers whom the narrator identifies as 'powers and principalities'.

This book held my attention for an hour or so and was relatively engaging. However I couldn't help but feel that the ending was disappointing and did not do justice to the strands of storyline incorporated in the text. I don't know whether the author plans to write a sequel but I have to admit that I came away feeling quite unsatisfied.

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.

Crazy Busy
Crazy Busy
by Kevin DeYoung

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Crazy Busy (Paperback)
Crazy busy is how I define myself way too often these days. People ask how I am and I don't say 'fine', I say 'crazy busy'. I wish I didn't because I tend to see it as a bad thing, the sign of a disordered life. DeYoung, it seems, suffers from the same malady. His writing is helpful and well-considered, as well as conveniently short enough for even the crazy busy to read from cover to cover.

I particularly appreciated the final chapter. Here, having written challengingly about all of the things which can make us wrongly busy, DeYoung reminds us that for those who are faithful in gospel ministry busyness is to be expected because loving people is costly on terms of time and care. In a Western context where busyness is sometimes demonised by Christians (including me), this message is deeply-needed. Busyness is ok - even to be expected - in the pursuit of obedience to God's call. What matters is doing only what he leads us to instead of all the other good - and not so good - which fights for our attention.

I received a free e-copy of this book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.

Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City
Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City
by Roger Huang

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 8 Sep 2013
Huang tells the story of his work for Jesus in San Francisco. Writing with openness and humility, Huang gives us the impression of a man who was almost pushed into this work amongst the poor in the Tenderloin district of the city. Yet as he chose to embrace this responsibility, alongside his family, God began to do many incredible things. Huang is clear about the central role of prayer and fasting in seeing all that he and his family have achieved come to fruition. If you are looking for the kind of book which will inspire your faith and remind you of the kind of things that God is already doing in the Western world, then you will enjoy this book.

The Language of Sparrows: A Novel
The Language of Sparrows: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked this one a lot!, 18 Aug 2013
This is another fiction book. I have to confess - as I have confessed before - that I do not have great expectations from Christian fiction! However I loved this book. It tells the story of a brilliant 15 year old girl, Sierra, who speaks multiple languages yet cannot seem to communicate what is important to her. Against the background of her mother's fear, we see the heroine meeting Luca, an old man deeply affected by his time in a Romanian Gulag far in his past. Despite all of the obvious concerns about a young girl spending so much time with an older man, her mother comes to realise that Luca is Sierra's hope for the future, as two families are brought together in friendship and to forge new hope. The multiple layers of plot were well-conceived and the writing smooth. The Christian aspect of hope was woven effectively into the writing, without coming across as an attempt to be moralistic. You could, I think, be of no faith and enjoy this book without feeling lectured!

Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You
Becoming Myself: Embracing God's Dream of You
by Staci Eldredge

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, just not for me, 18 Aug 2013
For those women who are looking to read a book about 'embracing God's dream' concerning them, this book considers various topics including the impact of their mothers on women, on fear, the company of other women and becoming who God has made us today. I am afraid, however, that this is not really my kind of book. I ordered it because unlike so many others in this genre I did not hate Eldredge's book (Captivating); unfortunately, though, I got bored by this one and didn't eventually finish it. However, I must stress that this is more down to me than the quality of the book - I have widely in this genre as well as a lot of popular Christian literature more broadly and, these days, I tend not to finish the books which don't engage me at some level. I do think that if you are looking for some material to read together with other Christian women this might be the kind of book which throws up some good conversations so it is worth considering, albeit not to my taste.

Organic God The PB
Organic God The PB
by Feinberg Margaret

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed opinions, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: Organic God The PB (Paperback)
This is a new printing of a previously published book. In the author's words, it is 'designed to take you on a journey and to illuminate the beauty of God in your life'. Parts of Feinberg's writing are quite arresting and beautifully-conceived, especially the way that she puts her thoughts together and the depth with which she writes. However, my biggest quibble with this book is that the chapters are largely stand-alone and therefore there is a lack of flow to the whole book. This left me without a sense of a 'whole' and has meant that a month or two later the contents are, disappointingly, largely unmemorable. In sum, then, beautifully written and some helpful thinking shared through personal stories and Scriptural insights. However, for me, this book was somewhat unsatisfying.

I received a free e-copy of this book from BookSneeze in return for a fair review.

GREAT DEALS PINK SOFT SILICONE GEL FLEXIBLE RUBBER SKIN COVER POUCH CASE FOR IPHONE 4 4S 4S + SCREEN PROTECTOR & CLOTH + STYLUS PEN
Offered by Great Deals on Click Sales UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Too big, 6 July 2013
Not a great fit - disappointing. Don't waste your money in my honest opinion. I've since got a Belkin one which is much better.

GREAT DEALS BLACK SOFT SILICONE GEL FLEXIBLE RUBBER SKIN COVER POUCH CASE FOR IPHONE 4 4S 4G + SCREEN PROTECTOR & CLOTH + STYLUS PEN
Offered by Great Deals on Click Sales UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Too big, 6 July 2013

LYDC Ladies Designer BLACK Travel Bag/Cupcake print LYDC Wheeled trolley bag/ Hospital bag/Gym bag/Weekend bag Croc Holdal Ladies Trolley Hand Shoulder bag/

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 6 July 2013
Great bag - a bit bigger than I expected so do check the measurements before you buy. Heavier than I was prepared for but not unmanageable especially considering that you can pull it along rather than having to carry it by the handles. Perfect for a few days away.

Angels by My Side: Stories and Glimpses of These Heavenly Helpers
Angels by My Side: Stories and Glimpses of These Heavenly Helpers
by Betty Malz

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 6 July 2013
Betty Malz suffered a ruptured appendix and was eventually declared dead. Yet some minutes later, she came back to life with a whole new interest in angels, having had some kind of angelic encounters in those few minutes. As the years passed after this time, Malz seemed everywhere to meet others who were keen to talk about their own experiences of angels and this is the record of those stories which she was told.

You may react like me to such books, assuming that they are influenced by the New Age and divorced from the gospel of Jesus. But Malz’s book is refreshing in that she is clear that Jesus was at the centre of her death experience and that angels are sent to do his work. The stories she tells are captivating and reminded me of the word in Hebrews which encourages believers to offer hospitality knowing that they may thereby entertain angels unawares – this was a book which reminded me that, according to Scripture, angels are real and active today. In such a rationalistic age, such a reminder can only be a good thing.

I received a galley copy of this e-book from NetGalley in return for a fair review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12