Profile for Telboy > Reviews

Content by Telboy

Telboy (Holywood, Co Down, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator
3M 4251 Maintenance Free Reusable Half Mask FFA1P2RD -Single respirator

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and they work!, 5 Nov. 2014
I bought this to use when airbrushing acrylic paints for airplane models. It's very comfortable and provides a good seal around my face. I can't smell a thing when airbrushing even though the paints I use do smell very strong so that's a good sign. I'd definitely recommend these.

Vallejo 20 ml Plastic Putty
Vallejo 20 ml Plastic Putty
Offered by SnM Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and works a treat, 2 Sept. 2014
Excellent stuff and much easier to us than the Revell filler that I had been using up until now. The needle nozzle makes this easy to apply to finely detailed areas - you have much more control over how much and where it goes. It's easy to work with after applying too - a finger dipped in water will smooth it off nicely. I've had to use this (sparingly) on a Tamiya Bf109 that I'm building at the minute and it works a treat. Highly recommended.

TAMIYA Aircraft Kit 1:48 61050 Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3
TAMIYA Aircraft Kit 1:48 61050 Messerschmitt Bf109 E-3
Offered by jadlamracingmodels

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent model from Tamiya, 28 Aug. 2014
Bought from local hobby shop simply because I had to get my hands on it quickly, so this isn't an Amazon Verified Purchase. I'm getting into modelling again after a long hiatus (25+ years). I've been looking to do a Tamiya model for a while because I remembered that their build quality was legendary. Some things never change. This is an excellent model and was a pleasure to make and paint. The detail and quality of the finish is second to none, and ALL the parts fit perfectly. There is next to no flash on any of the parts and the model practically falls together. There was almost no need for any filling or sanding, particularly when joining the fuselage halves together. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. This model would suit both the experienced modeller who wants to add his or her own touches and flourishes, and the less experienced who just wants to build it out of the box.
Highly recommended.

The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful and amateurish, 18 Jun. 2014
I read this because my wife enjoyed it. I think the less said about that the better. I only finished it because I promised that I would. "The twist at the end is really good" she said. Hmm...I think I'll make my own book choices in future. This book was terrible. The plotting is all over the place, the writing sloppy and amateurish, and the dialogue is some of the very worst I've ever read. The characterisation is unbelievably shallow - Marcus' stereotypical Jewish mother being a case in point. The relationship between Nola and Harry is totally unbelievable, and I have to say it was more than a bit disturbing to me to that the author put the only words of criticism for Harry in the mouths of characters who are dreadfully unlikeable. The narrator appears to have no problem with the fact that his great mentor is, when all is said and done, a paedophile. Pretty much the worst novel that I've read in the last few years, and I've read a *lot*.

The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but very short, 10 April 2014
As many other reviewers have pointed out, this game looks gorgeous, plays well (I personally never had any problems with freezing or crashing), it's great fun and quite challenging. But the main problem is it's waaaaay too short, I had it finished in a few hours. I paid Amazon coins for it though so I wasn't out of pocket. Having said that, if I had paid actual money for it I still wouldn't have felt cheated because it's obvious that a huge amount of work and thought and effort went in to making this game and it is thoroughly enjoyable. I can only hope Room Two is longer!

Seben Laser Collimator to align telescopes LK1 31.7mm (1.25")
Seben Laser Collimator to align telescopes LK1 31.7mm (1.25")
Offered by Seben GmbH

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy it's amazing!, 7 April 2014
I think I'm probably in good company by being confused and bewildered by the plethora of different instructions available on the internet about how to collimate your Newtonian scope. However I was assured by those same instructions that collimation is a vital part of the maintenance of this kind of scope. As I'd had my Astromaster 130EQ for a few months I was pretty sure that moving it around had knocked off the collimation, but the Cheshire collimation method sounded too complicated for me. This item had received so many positive reviews, and appeared to make collimation so easy for so many people, that I had to try it. I'm glad I did because this thing makes collimation an absolute breeze, even though it doesn't come with any instructions and there aren't any on the Seben website (as claimed).

The only difficulty that I had was in the initial stage when I realised that my primary mirror didn't have a centre spot marked, and I was going to have to do this myself. This wasn't as terrifying as I thought it was going to be, mainly because the internet (google Gary Seronik - what great instructions!) came up with the goods. After that, the process was as simple as it could possibly be and is as follows: Put the collimator in the focus tube. Switch it on. Look into your scope tube (carefully!) at where the laser spot is hitting your primary mirror and tweak the secondary mirror adjustment screws until the spot is in the centre. Move to the back of your scope and tweak the primary mirror adjustment screws until the red spot goes into the hole in the middle of the target.

There. Job done.

Since then, I've made a point of tweaking my collimation before each viewing session and it's so simple I wish I'd got a laser collimator ages ago. Now if only the sky would clear...

If you've got a Newtonian scope, get one of these.

Seiko Men's 5 Automatic Watch SNXS73
Seiko Men's 5 Automatic Watch SNXS73
Offered by GB Watch Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the price, 13 Mar. 2014
I owned my previous Seiko 5 automatic for about 14 years now so it was hardly surprising when it started to go wrong but since fixing/servicing would have cost more than this watch, I thought it a good time to get a new one. This is a very stylish, understated watch and you never need to worry about batteries. A great buy and great service from the vendor.

Meade 4000 Super Plossl 15mm (1.25")
Meade 4000 Super Plossl 15mm (1.25")

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class, 6 Feb. 2014
I was bought this as a very unexpected but very welcome Christmas present. I have heard of the Meade brand but have never had a chance to use one of their eyepieces until now. Overall I'm extremely pleased with the quality of this eyepiece. It is solid and well-made, and the rubber grip at the top is very useful when trying to handle a cold eyepiece with cold fingers. Most of all, the view using this eyepiece in my 130mm Newt is superb. Crisp, clear views across the entire field of view, and planetary viewing is a joy. I only realised how good this is when comparing it directly, when viewing Jupiter, with a much cheaper eyepiece (an Orbinar) that I bought a while ago and which I thought was excellent. Through the Meade, Jupiter's zones and bands show up much more clearly than the Orbinar, and the view seem to be much less affected by atmosphere turbulence. All in all, this is an excellent eyepiece and I plan to add to my collection with others in this range.

Black 9x50 Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder
Black 9x50 Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder
Offered by Optronic Technologies, Inc

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 4 Feb. 2014
On the advice of some other more experienced astronomers, I got one of these in addition to a Telrad to help me find my way around the night sky. So far, it's been a real bonus. The scope itself is sturdy, solid and well made. The view through the viewfinder is crisp and clear, although the focus is a bit fiddly - you have to unscrew a locking ring and rotate the objective to focus. Once that's done though, it's a breeze to use, and the right-angle makes it so much easier to see what your scope is pointed towards. Havign a correct image makes ita lot easier to navigate with star charts too, as what you see in the viewfinder is the right way up and the right way round, exactly as it is on the page. I wouldn't be without it now!

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
by John Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Jan. 2014
Although it was originally published in 1965, I've read (in Private Eye magazine, amongst others) that it doesn't really deserve the "forgotten novel" sobriquet, since it has been re-published several times since then, and also received rave reviews the first time round (or so I'm led to believe).

However, setting aside all the hype and whatever you may or may not have read about it, this is a truly excellent novel. It's one of those books that sucks you in and makes you want, no need, to find out what happens next. Not, of course, that it's action-packed or adrenaline fuelled. It's not like that. It's nothing more or less than the story of a man's life from start to finish, including the loves, losses, triumphs, disasters and embarrassments that he experiences.

The writing is lyrical and gentle and sometimes at odds with the emotional turmoil experienced by the main character Stoner, but it nevertheless is superbly readable. I loved it, I really don't know what else I can say. It's one of the very best novels I've ever read, it's as simple as that and I can't wait til my wife finishes it so I can read it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 10:09 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3