Profile for Telboy > Reviews

Content by Telboy

Telboy (Holywood, Co Down, UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair
Price: 5.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful and amateurish, 18 Jun 2014
I read this because my wife enjoyed it. I think the less said about that the better. I only finished it because I promised that I would. "The twist at the end is really good" she said. Hmm...I think I'll make my own book choices in future. This book was terrible. The plotting is all over the place, the writing sloppy and amateurish, and the dialogue is some of the very worst I've ever read. The characterisation is unbelievably shallow - Marcus' stereotypical Jewish mother being a case in point. The relationship between Nola and Harry is totally unbelievable, and I have to say it was more than a bit disturbing to me to that the author put the only words of criticism for Harry in the mouths of characters who are dreadfully unlikeable. The narrator appears to have no problem with the fact that his great mentor is, when all is said and done, a paedophile. Pretty much the worst novel that I've read in the last few years, and I've read a *lot*.

The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Room (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Price: 0.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but very short, 10 April 2014
As many other reviewers have pointed out, this game looks gorgeous, plays well (I personally never had any problems with freezing or crashing), it's great fun and quite challenging. But the main problem is it's waaaaay too short, I had it finished in a few hours. I paid Amazon coins for it though so I wasn't out of pocket. Having said that, if I had paid actual money for it I still wouldn't have felt cheated because it's obvious that a huge amount of work and thought and effort went in to making this game and it is thoroughly enjoyable. I can only hope Room Two is longer!

Seben Laser Collimator to align telescopes LK1 31.7mm (1.25")
Seben Laser Collimator to align telescopes LK1 31.7mm (1.25")
Offered by Seben GmbH
Price: 23.49

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy it's amazing!, 7 April 2014
I think I'm probably in good company by being confused and bewildered by the plethora of different instructions available on the internet about how to collimate your Newtonian scope. However I was assured by those same instructions that collimation is a vital part of the maintenance of this kind of scope. As I'd had my Astromaster 130EQ for a few months I was pretty sure that moving it around had knocked off the collimation, but the Cheshire collimation method sounded too complicated for me. This item had received so many positive reviews, and appeared to make collimation so easy for so many people, that I had to try it. I'm glad I did because this thing makes collimation an absolute breeze, even though it doesn't come with any instructions and there aren't any on the Seben website (as claimed).

The only difficulty that I had was in the initial stage when I realised that my primary mirror didn't have a centre spot marked, and I was going to have to do this myself. This wasn't as terrifying as I thought it was going to be, mainly because the internet (google Gary Seronik - what great instructions!) came up with the goods. After that, the process was as simple as it could possibly be and is as follows: Put the collimator in the focus tube. Switch it on. Look into your scope tube (carefully!) at where the laser spot is hitting your primary mirror and tweak the secondary mirror adjustment screws until the spot is in the centre. Move to the back of your scope and tweak the primary mirror adjustment screws until the red spot goes into the hole in the middle of the target.

There. Job done.

Since then, I've made a point of tweaking my collimation before each viewing session and it's so simple I wish I'd got a laser collimator ages ago. Now if only the sky would clear...

If you've got a Newtonian scope, get one of these.

Seiko Men's 5 Automatic Watch SNXS73
Seiko Men's 5 Automatic Watch SNXS73
Offered by WatchWarehouse
Price: 54.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch for the price, 13 Mar 2014
I owned my previous Seiko 5 automatic for about 14 years now so it was hardly surprising when it started to go wrong but since fixing/servicing would have cost more than this watch, I thought it a good time to get a new one. This is a very stylish, understated watch and you never need to worry about batteries. A great buy and great service from the vendor.

Meade 4000 Series 15mm Super Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"
Meade 4000 Series 15mm Super Plossl Eyepiece 1.25"
Offered by Telescope House
Price: 34.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class, 6 Feb 2014
I was bought this as a very unexpected but very welcome Christmas present. I have heard of the Meade brand but have never had a chance to use one of their eyepieces until now. Overall I'm extremely pleased with the quality of this eyepiece. It is solid and well-made, and the rubber grip at the top is very useful when trying to handle a cold eyepiece with cold fingers. Most of all, the view using this eyepiece in my 130mm Newt is superb. Crisp, clear views across the entire field of view, and planetary viewing is a joy. I only realised how good this is when comparing it directly, when viewing Jupiter, with a much cheaper eyepiece (an Orbinar) that I bought a while ago and which I thought was excellent. Through the Meade, Jupiter's zones and bands show up much more clearly than the Orbinar, and the view seem to be much less affected by atmosphere turbulence. All in all, this is an excellent eyepiece and I plan to add to my collection with others in this range.

Black 9x50 Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder
Black 9x50 Right-Angle Correct-Image Finder
Offered by Optronic Technologies, Inc
Price: 76.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, 4 Feb 2014
On the advice of some other more experienced astronomers, I got one of these in addition to a Telrad to help me find my way around the night sky. So far, it's been a real bonus. The scope itself is sturdy, solid and well made. The view through the viewfinder is crisp and clear, although the focus is a bit fiddly - you have to unscrew a locking ring and rotate the objective to focus. Once that's done though, it's a breeze to use, and the right-angle makes it so much easier to see what your scope is pointed towards. Havign a correct image makes ita lot easier to navigate with star charts too, as what you see in the viewfinder is the right way up and the right way round, exactly as it is on the page. I wouldn't be without it now!

Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
Stoner: A Novel (Vintage Classics)
by John Williams
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 20 Jan 2014
Although it was originally published in 1965, I've read (in Private Eye magazine, amongst others) that it doesn't really deserve the "forgotten novel" sobriquet, since it has been re-published several times since then, and also received rave reviews the first time round (or so I'm led to believe).

However, setting aside all the hype and whatever you may or may not have read about it, this is a truly excellent novel. It's one of those books that sucks you in and makes you want, no need, to find out what happens next. Not, of course, that it's action-packed or adrenaline fuelled. It's not like that. It's nothing more or less than the story of a man's life from start to finish, including the loves, losses, triumphs, disasters and embarrassments that he experiences.

The writing is lyrical and gentle and sometimes at odds with the emotional turmoil experienced by the main character Stoner, but it nevertheless is superbly readable. I loved it, I really don't know what else I can say. It's one of the very best novels I've ever read, it's as simple as that and I can't wait til my wife finishes it so I can read it again.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2014 10:09 PM BST

Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope - and How to Find Them
by Guy Consolmagno

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Xmas present, 2 Jan 2014
I was bought this as a Christmas present after dropping numerous not-very-subtle hints! Having used it on three or four nights recently when the sky has relented and cleared up, I can say that the overwhelmingly positive reviews that this book has received are more than justified. It's very well illustrated and clearly written, and guides you straight to where you need to look to find the best that the heavens have to offer. It also describes and shows, in plenty of detail, exactly what it is that you're supposed to be looking for. It's really user-friendly, and the spiral binding is so handy. Using this book, I recently I found M36, M37 and M38 on the same night. OK, I know that these are all in the same constellation and probably very easy to find for some people, but believe me it was an accomplishment for me! I wouldn't have found these particular objects so easily without this excellent guide.

I'd thoroughly recommend this, for both the beginner and the experienced star-gazer and I've no hesitation in giving this 5 stars.

The Grand Deception : Fallacies in Theology and Faith
The Grand Deception : Fallacies in Theology and Faith
Price: 2.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written and constructed, 2 Dec 2013
Setting aside for the moment whether or not I agree with the arguments and the sentiments in this book, this is a very disappointing read.
Another reviewer has mentioned the numerous typos and other errors, which I also noticed and found annoying. Even more annoying than that was the author's style. The book is filled with poorly constructed and rambling sentences. I lost count of the number of times that a word was used which was simply incorrect in the context of the sentence and in terms of proper English usage. There were also many other occasions where the word used was, strictly speaking, "correct" but was just not "right", as if the author were showing off how many words he knew without knowing that these words would not be used by a speaker of correct idiomatic English.

Only very few of these kinds of mistakes can be accounted for by typos or by transcription errors from "normal" text to the Kindle format.

I don't know who the author is, and I have been unable to find out anything about him on the Internet, but I found myself wondering whether or not English was his first language. I do not mean that in any nasty or insulting way, but this book really does read as if it was translated into English from another language. For all I know, it may well have been.
I can't really recommend this book. The style is very annoying and, for me, became tiresome very quickly. I didn't finish it.

Celestron Astromaster 130EQ
Celestron Astromaster 130EQ
Offered by Hawks Photo Video
Price: 134.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent scope for beginners, 25 Nov 2013
This scope is a great one for beginners. It's fairly easy to set up (if you follow the instructions, which aren't bad at all actually). The scope itself is powerful enough to give excellent clear views of the major planets, but you may be disappointed if you think that Jupiter and Saturn are going to look like beachballs in your viewfinder - they're not, but you will see clear planetary discs and the major zones and belts on Jupiter. The tripod could be a little sturdier - I've noticed a lot of "wobble" in the viewfinder especially at higher magnifications. The eyepieces that are supplied with the scope are just OK and fine for a casual browse around the skies but you *will* need to upgrade them at some stage if you're serious about astronomy. My major criticism would be the red-dot finder, which is pretty much useless, and you'll need to get yourself something better like a Telrad or a Rigel if you're looking to avoid the frustration of not being able to find a darn thing in the sky. Overall though I'm very happy with this scope. It's got enough power to keep a keen beginner happy. Will I want to upgrade to one with a larger aperture at some point? You bet, but for now this does the job nicely.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3