Profile for Ihab > Reviews

Content by Ihab

Ihab (Strathaven)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S2 II GT-I9100, Galaxy S2 II I9100, Galaxy S2 II 9100G, EB-F1A2GBU
Offered by AnkerDirect

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not good enough, 5 Jun 2014
OK the phone is now old, but still in excellent condition and so went for this replacement. Samsung do not produce these any more. It claims to be about 300 mAh more than the original battery, but did not last longer than the original when first started using it. It has been couple of months now and starting to show old age already needing to watch my usage. Also heats up too much at random which resolves sometimes by restarting, but other times I have to physically take the battery out and replace it again.

Update: Ankar's customer service picked up on this review and replaced it. The new lasts almost the same, but no over-heating issues so far. 5 stars for customer services, but the product itself is average at best.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2014 11:45 AM BST

T. A. P. S.  [1981] [DVD]
T. A. P. S. [1981] [DVD]
Dvd ~ George C. Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars quite good, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: T. A. P. S. [1981] [DVD] (DVD)
I remember this film from many years ago. I enjoyed it then and now. My teenage sons also loved it. Recommended.

BaByliss 7235U 10-in-1 Grooming System for Men
BaByliss 7235U 10-in-1 Grooming System for Men

1.0 out of 5 stars not right, 7 May 2014
I really liked this trimmer, not too small and not too big. Comfortably held in the hand with good cutting blades and lots of attachments. However, the variable length comb attachments have a sliding mechanism to choose 3 mm, 6 mm, 9 mm ..etc. and although it slides and clicks into the desired length, it does not lock into place. With my first use on my beard, I was turning a corner on my chin and with little pressure it slid back from 12 mm to 3 mm which left me with a small patch in my beard.

This should not happened and I expect, with repeated use, the mechanism could only get more loose so I returned it.

Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS
Synology DS213J 2 Bay DiskStation Desktop NAS

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 30 Mar 2014
I wouldn't have known how good this unit is, if it was not for the Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk) I bought and returned before this one. The Netgear was excellent piece of hardware with good metal body, excellent really good easy no screws mechanism of loading the hard drives, USB3 x2 in the back and USB2 x1 in the front and best of all, it was around one third cheaper than this Synology. But, a big BUT, the unit had problems with the software, was not spinning down the disk when not in use so you had to power it off, but when booting again, it would take few times to be recognised back by other devices as DLNA. I gave it my best, as it was really good kit, but at the end, I decided that my money would be better spent on something that would work.

Here comes this Synology. What a difference. It just has been doing what I asked of it with no problem. True its plastic body is not anywhere near the fancy Netgear. True hard drives has to be screwed in the old fashion way and not the excellent loading mechanism of the Netgear. True it has USB2 x2 only and no USB3. True that it costs 50% more than the Netgear. But all this is not important. Since I put the hard drive and set it up, I never had to look back. World of difference when things work as they should. The disk spins down and hibernates if nobody is accessing it after any time you want to set. It wakes up almost immediately when you access it. It has always been visible by all devices on the network. Synology android apps work well, but I found the DS file and DS photo are of use to me. Mind you, it took almost 20 hours indexing my files, and not all of them were visible during that period, but since then all is working fine. Remember to install the media server from the package center if you want to use DLNA. There are so many settings that are overwhelming and I do not have a clue about, same like most routers in that respect, and I feel Synology could try to simplify things even more, for the novice user.

Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk)
Netgear ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Network Attached Storage (No Disk)

1.0 out of 5 stars Final impressions..., 9 Feb 2014
This is my first NAS. It's the RN102. On the whole there is room for improvement. I now have had it for a week. I experimented first with an old WD SATA2 640GB HDD, but now had a 1TB Seagate Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive from its supported drives list. the new drive is even more quieter and a touch quicker, but same issues remain.

The unit itself feels well-built and runs quiet. The mechanism to fit the disk is very good and easy. You get cat 5 network cable in the box that I didn't use as I had a spare cat 6 cable. Make sure to read the manuals from Netgear website.

When fitted the full WD drive, all lights came on, but I got stuck. As my disk had been in use and not empty, I needed to perform factory default first so the RN102 wipes the disk and install its own OS 6. This should work by disconnecting power, hold paperclip in the reset button/hole in the back, reconnect power and press the front backup button few times to get to the desired default process. Once there, you release the paperclip and the factory default should start, but nothing was cycling for me. Well, this did not work. I eventually got past that by taking the drive out, put it back in its old enclosure, connect to PC as USB external drive and deleted the partitions in win7 administrative tools.

When re-installed again, the RN102 became alive and worked fine. No need to download firmware as it automatically prompted me to install the newest version. There was no problem when later on I replaced the new unformatted Seagate drive. The RN102 just automatically did the formatting and the OS6.6 install in no time, so no worries if you fit a brand new drive.

I tried drag and drop to copy files in the NAS admin page, but this didn't work in Firefox. Instead I opened "network" in windows, opened the NAS in the top section of "computers" used copy & paste from the PC folders into the corresponding NAS folders. This worked fine and very reasonable speed. Both PC and RN102 are connected directly to the router by network cable. It is seen and works as media server great no problems, but I couldn't so far make it discoverable as "Network windows share" on some other devices, so still trying.

The HDD does not spin down even though I'm using a supported drive. You have to power off the unit to give the drive some rest, but on booting again, the NAS almost always is not discoverable as DLNA device. It's luck of the dice how many times it would take rebooting, either by the power button, restart in the web page or unplugging then re-plugging the power cable till it is discoverable again as DLNA on the network. I do not think that it is meant to be "on" all the time and it should really be switched off and on smoothly. Not sure what's the point of "Wake on LAN" if the unit is always on. There should really be something simple like in Windows to set up Sleep after number of minutes of inactivity, and then it would wake on LAN if required. The on and off timer works fine, but same issue with DLNA on booting.

Update: I changed the review from first to final impressions and downgraded it from 3 to 1 star. I contacted Netgear trying to solve the problem with booting. They wanted me to try a new firmware that is still a beta version. They have the audacity to sell a product that does not function properly and then ask me to experiment for them. After all these versions of their firmware, you would've thought that all problems have been ironed out. No thank you very much. I will be trying another make and I wish Netgear all the best in charging people to experiment on them. In my humble opinion, they should try their designs out before it is put for sale. The only bonus is that the unit is good looking and well built, but what's the point of a sturdy nice looking unit that raises your blood pressure every time you switch it on. Lesson learnt: No more Netgear for me, it is going back. I think I will give Synology a go.

Update: I now had Synology DS213J 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure for a week. It is working with no problems as it should. It does not have USB3 and does not have front USB port. It does not have the brilliant hard drive fitting mechanism of the Netgear, but it is doing what it should be doing. It goes off and back on no problems. It goes to sleep when the disk is not being accessed after time that you can set. It took ages to index all my files overnight, but works flawlessly since then. All my devices could see it and access the files as DLNA and windows share. It is just working. Sorry Netgear, but your fancy box is just too much hassle and the Synology wins hands down.

Logitech Wireless Combo MK520
Logitech Wireless Combo MK520

2.0 out of 5 stars poor mouse, 29 Jan 2014
I needed the mouse. I've used Logitech mice and keyboards since forever. This is the worst mouse and lacks sensitivity. Increasing the sensitivity in the software makes the pointer jerky. Don't like this one at all.

TP-LINK TD-W8980 - N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
TP-LINK TD-W8980 - N600 Dual Band Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router
Offered by Kikatek

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 Dec 2013

It is very surprising that one gets problems with modem routers. You would think that the networking technology has been around for so many years that it should be pain and hassle free to setup and make these things work as efficiently and as brilliant as they all claim to be, but no, far from it. Each one of these had its own problems and on balance the TP-Link came out on the top of my list despite being the cheapest of the lot at the time of writing.

First thing I did was to upgrade to the latest firmware for all 3 of them and there were no problems to mention there. I was really disappointed with the Billion. Although it was the most expensive, by quite a bit, it performed less than the other two. It had only one USB port asopposed to two ports in ASUS and TP-Link, and it struggled a bit with the media server functionality. The real deal breaker however for me was the WiFi coverage which was, at best, average. Perhaps my expectations were too high, perhaps it would have excelled in reliable signal and less dropouts, but in my view, its poor WiFi and having one USB port only was not worth the price difference at all.

The ASUS failed to impress as well, and although its WiFi was better than the Billion, but this was only slightly. The real problem with the Asus was setting it up. The UI is really good, but each setting I made seems to take ages to take effect and it seems too sluggish to cope with any changes I made to the settings. It also needed restarted few times as there were lots of dropouts in the WiFi and my devices were disconnecting for no reason.

Out of the three, the TP-Link had the most impressive WiFi with excellent coverage up and downstairs. It was easy to setup and it has solid connection to the internet and my devices are always connected with no dropouts. I had to restart it twice in the first day I used it and nothing since then for a week. The only problem is that it does have limits on how many files you could share on the network via a connected external HDD to the USB port, it loses one star for that. Also, none of these routers had an external button to eject the USB device before disconnecting it like I had on my older Buffalo. Instead, you have to disconnect the USB HDD by logging into the router administration page through the web browser.

On balance, I decided to stick with the TP-Link and perhaps would consider NAS in the future, but I am in no rush for now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2014 11:24 PM GMT

Accuratus PS2 / USB Arabic Keyboard - Black
Accuratus PS2 / USB Arabic Keyboard - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 11 Dec 2013
It works fine and really good feed back, but needs cable connection. It would have been much better if it was wireless.

Billion BiPAC 7800DXL Triple WAN Dual Band Wireless N Gigabit ADSL2+/Fibre 3G/4G LTE Broadband Router with USB Port

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be more performance for the price!!!, 11 Dec 2013
This is not really a new technology and networking should be pain free and reasonably achievable even by the novice. Setup was fine, but the deal breaker for me was the WiFi signal which was very average at best. At this price I was expecting a lot more particularly that it's only a wireless N and not the newer AC version. Disappointed and therefore had to return it, but might be fine for someone else.

Update: I spent the last couple of weeks trying the TP-Link TD-W8980, the ASUS DSL-N55U and the Billion BiPAC 7800DXL. These are all ADSL (landline) modem routers with wireless N and not the newer AC. They all have dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz) networking with USB connections for HDD that could work for sharing files, media server, FTP server or printer server in all three of them.

Samsung Original Toner Cartridge for ML-1910/1915/2525/2525W/2580N SCX-4600/SCX-4623F/SCX-4623GN/SF-650 Yield 2500 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent.., 23 Sep 2013
I used this in the past and had no problems. There is no reason to expect any with the new replacement which I still to use. Good value particularly if you have a "toner saver" function in your driver which should make it last even longer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5