Profile for DevonianDick > Reviews

Content by DevonianDick

DevonianDick (Dartmoor, Devon, England)

As Green as Grass: Growing Up Before, During & After the Second World War
As Green as Grass: Growing Up Before, During & After the Second World War

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 4 Dec 2013
A superb sequel to Great Western Beach. Thank you for sharing these memories. A highly entertaining recollection written in the present tense which gives an immediacy and spontaneity to the stories.

Love Songs: A Time You May Embrace
Love Songs: A Time You May Embrace

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 16 May 2012
Indescribably brilliant. I don't want to spoil the enjoyment of those who love fascinating music by trying to describe this. But if you've ever been in love, this will resonate. For some the second or third listening will be where it really takes off as something very special. Don't rely on the snippets. Just buy it.

LP1
LP1
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, Joss, 31 July 2011
This review is from: LP1 (Audio CD)
I don't give a damn what pretentious analysis there is - that's hardly what soul is about.
This is just a superb LP.
Thanks, Joss.

Out of Africa: 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1985] [US Import]
Out of Africa: 25th Anniversary [Blu-ray] [1985] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford

5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray version, 23 Oct 2010
A firm favourite & I was delighted to find it now available in Blu-ray. A great improvement on the rather poor DVD edition & with some interesting extras.
And for anyone concerned, although it's a US import it does play on a standard UK Blu-ray player.

Unseen
Unseen
Offered by Music-Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music, exquisitely crafted lyrics, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: Unseen (Audio CD)
So very individual, Unseen, a stunning debut album from Ellie Williams of Exeter, Devon, England.
This should soar.
The songs somehow have both simplicity & complexity & Ellie is one of those musicians who can clearly find great depth & emotion in both her creation & presentation of these lovely songs. With soul but also real life humour & vision:
"Laugh with all your lungs until it hurts some. Stand with all your strength though it might take some. Believe in all your dreams and you might make some. Love with all your heart though it might break some."
And:
"Only you and me can make it work. With a broken lead and a collie dog. That we walk, as we talk about our day."

Thank you, Ellie, for adding a big bunch of splendidly presented love, thought and emotion to our enjoyment of music. I just wish I had known about Ellie Williams when she was getting her investment together through the brilliant Sellaband concept; I would most certainly have been a "believer" in her talent: I definitely am now!

Deeper Still
Deeper Still

5.0 out of 5 stars diving Deeper Still into beautiful sounds, 18 July 2002
This review is from: Deeper Still (Audio CD)
The more I listen the more I love this album. My first reaction was good but on deeper listening I think that Beth has even surpassed the wonderful Sand and Water, which I would previously have found difficult to believe. This is a stunningly beautiful album. I love every song and the production is excellent. The mix of familiarity of several songs heard in concert or elsewhere and new never-before-heard stuff was, for me, exhilarating. I am so grateful to have found Beth's music and thank her so much for yet again giving us such musical enjoyment.